• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-UV8D

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Received my new dual band Wouxun radio kit from Hong Kong today. It's a very neat radio and so far, I haven't found any major grips. Perhaps the only one so far, is that they still put the 0 key on the right side of the keypad. :)

Love the large display! The menu system is vastly improved.

The radio feels lighter and slightly thinner and less bulky than the previous models.

Will post pictures shortly.

Here's a link if you haven't seen this already:

Wouxun KG-UV8D Dual Band Handi-talkie. KGUV8D

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
The Wouxun KG-UV8D has not been approved by the FCC and is not to be sold, leased or used in the United States until approval has been obtained.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The Wouxun KG-UV8D has not been approved by the FCC and is not to be sold, leased or used in the United States until approval has been obtained.

That's not correct. If the op uses it strictly on the amateur bands it's completely legal. You don't need FCC certification.

evfd1625

How much did you pay for it if you don't mind sharing? It looks like a Chinese radio and a DMR radio mated somehow and made a semi un ugly baby...haha. And a side note, pretty much anything is legal and nothing requires any approval on the amateur bands. I could use a spark gap transmitter for CW if I chose to and didn't splatter the entire EM spectrum with junk.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
The radios coming out of China (e.g. Baofeng, TYT, Wouxun) are not amateur radios, they're commercial radios requiring Part 90 certification from the FCC. Yes, hams may be buying them, but at least half are using them for business, public service or GMRS which requires the appropriate part certification.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The radios coming out of China (e.g. Baofeng, TYT, Wouxun) are not amateur radios, they're commercial radios requiring Part 90 certification from the FCC. Yes, hams may be buying them, but at least half are using them for business, public service or GMRS which requires the appropriate part certification.

We're only discussing ham radio use. They're completely legal for that service.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

They are a multi-use product, in most of the world. In the USA, type acceptance is required for some usage.

Sent via Tapatalk

countywacker

Tell this to all the Chinese Manufactures that were at the Las Vegas Wireless conference in March. All the Chinese Knock off company's were there in full force, right along side the big name brand company's, and they were all marketing to public safety. These lower end radios are not going away. There is a big market out there and they are here to stay, targeting public safety and amateur radio market.

baltimorecs

The FCC ID on the KG-UV8D is WVTWOUXUN07--which is the same as the UV6D and UV3X. It seems that this is an "upgrade" to the 6D then, but I have no idea how certification is determined for upgrade models.

SCPD

QRT
How much did you pay for it if you don't mind sharing? It looks like a Chinese radio and a DMR radio mated somehow and made a semi un ugly baby...haha. And a side note, pretty much anything is legal and nothing requires any approval on the amateur bands. I could use a spark gap transmitter for CW if I chose to and didn't splatter the entire EM spectrum with junk.

I don't recall the exact price. There are several dealers on E-Bay that are selling them. I want to say in the 135 range but I don't recall exactly.

I was looking for one that included software and the USB cable too.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Manufacturers can sales pitch all they want but until approval is obtained from the FCC, the radios cannot be sold in the U.S.

To get around this manufacturers (and more so counterfeiters) have turned online markets like Alibaba, Amazon and eBay into Silk Road like establishments. When it comes to shipping, the Customs declarations are intentionally mislabeled so they read 'toy' or 'gift' instead of 'electronic device' or 'two-way radio'. All this is done to avoid detection - if the non-certified device is discovered it's immediately confiscated, the buyer is out the money they spent on the device and all sorts of bad legal crap happens to the manufacturer/distributor unless they're able to bribe the Customs officials.

Tell this to all the Chinese Manufactures that were at the Las Vegas Wireless conference in March. All the Chinese Knock off company's were there in full force, right along side the big name brand company's, and they were all marketing to public safety. These lower end radios are not going away. There is a big market out there and they are here to stay, targeting public safety and amateur radio market.

countywacker

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

bryan_herbert said:
Manufacturers can sales pitch all they want but until approval is obtained from the FCC, the radios cannot be sold in the U.S.

To get around this manufacturers (and more so counterfeiters) have turned online markets like Alibaba, Amazon and eBay into Silk Road like establishments. When it comes to shipping, the Customs declarations are intentionally mislabeled so they read 'toy' or 'gift' instead of 'electronic device' or 'two-way radio'. All this is done to avoid detection - if the non-certified device is discovered it's immediately confiscated, the buyer is out the money they spent on the device and all sorts of bad legal crap happens to the manufacturer/distributor unless they're able to bribe the Customs officials.

At least we agree there never going away :)

Status
Not open for further replies.