• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

wouxun kg-uvd1p question

Not open for further replies.


Jul 25, 2004
do i need a license to use this this talkie to talk to people?

Quick and simple answer is Yes.

More complicated answer is you need a ham license to talk to folks on the ham bands. You need a commercial license to talk to talk to folks on the commercial bands (note that having a license is specific to each frequency the license covers so having a license to talk on frequency "A" won't allow you to talk to others on frequency "B" and the licensed frequencies are designed to be unique to each license and coverage area). A license would also be necessary to talk to folks on the GMRS and/or MURS frequencies, but that's a moot point since the radio in question isn't certified for use on those frequencies. While a license isn't required for the FRS band, the radio isn't certified for use on the FRS frequencies so that's a moot point as well. On the Marine band frequencies, a license may (generally for land-based operation) or may not (generally for operation onboard boats) be required, but the radio isn't certified for use on the Marine Band frequencies so that's a moot point also.
Not open for further replies.