• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun mobile.....yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYG

That's nuts. Why would I buy Wouxun when I can buy something better at that price point. The reason I bought a Wouxun HT was that they were decent for the lower price tag.

elk2370bruce

I'll stick with my Icoms and Yaesu mobiles. I had hoped that Wouxun would maintain their attractive pricing. Aty this price, count me out. Too bad we can't buy
american.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Disappointed so far with this!

Too bad! I bought a Wouxun and recently a Baeofeng UV-5R both at decent prices. I don't mind doing without a few features or taking an added extra step or two on the menus. For the price I paid, I just can't complain. I had hoped that this pattern would transfer into the mobile market with this new radio. Oh Well, we will see what happens when the production units start to roll out!

Manny

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Wow, what a ripoff price for a KNOCK OFF product. I'd much rather spend another $25 and buy a for real Kenwood TM-V71A from a recognized manufacturer with good stateside support versus some cheap plastic crap from China.

Sidenote: and once again the FCC OET rubber stamps part 90 cert for a radio that violates it's own rules, specifically this requirement that any radio capable of transmitting from 150-170MHz be programmable on the national interoperability channels:

FCC 90.203(j)(1)
(1) Applications for certification received on or after January 1,
2005, for mobile and portable transmitters designed to transmit voice
on public safety frequencies in the 150-174 MHz band will be granted
only if the mobile/portable equipment is capable of operating on the
nationwide public safety interoperability calling channel in the
150-174 MHz band. (See § 90.20(c), (d) of this part.)

n5ims

Sidenote: and once again the FCC OET rubber stamps part 90 cert for a radio that violates it's own rules, specifically this requirement that any radio capable of transmitting from 150-170MHz be programmable on the national interoperability channels:

FCC 90.203(j)(1)

What makes you bring this up now? The radio in question has not yet been Part-90 certified so any comments about what required features for that certification are lacking are at best premature. Since this radio has been over a year late, perhaps one of the reasons was getting this feature to work correctly to follow the necessary standards for that certification. While they may still "rubber stamp" the cert as you indicated has happen, this "rubber stamp" has yet to be stamped so there has been no violation of "it's own rules" at this point.

To save you from your next false point, the part-90 info (at least on the waxoun.us site) clearly states that radio "Are not FCC Part 90 certified*".

Last edited:

jhooten

Wow, what a ripoff price for a KNOCK OFF product. I'd much rather spend another $25 and buy a for real Kenwood TM-V71A from a recognized manufacturer with good stateside support versus some cheap plastic crap from China.

FCC 90.203(j)(1)

Ed from wouxun.us sent a scathing e-mail about this pre-release version of the radio. It has a limited feature set, it will not meet the narrow band requirements, is not part 90 approved, and the price has been fixed by the manufacturer. If he sells it for less than the price they set he will not be able to order any of the regular production units, which will be part 90 approved. He is not a happy camper.

Here it is:

"Dear Customer,

Here is the latest news on Chinese dual-band mobile radios.

Wouxun Dual Band Mobile - KG-UV920R

On June 21 I was informed that Wouxun would supply a small number of these radios to selected dealers (max of 10). At that time they also quoted a dealer costs that I thought was outrageous. The dealer costs was almost what I have always considered the retail price would be. In an email I told them sternly that with any dealer markup at all, the radio would not sell in the US and I would decline to purchase samples.

Wouxun response was that when full production began, the dealer costs would be lower. Since I've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars building a market for this company over the past few years, I decided I would not let others bring this radio to market before I did. I reluctantly placed an order for 10 radios, figuring I would sell them at costs, to get them to market.

After my order was shipped, Wouxun informed me that these sample radios must NOT be sold for less than $320-$330. They went on to say "If we found you or your dealer's end price was lower this range without our permission in advance, then we will stop supplying this model to you."

For the past two years, I've repeatedly told Wouxun that this radio must sell for no more than $250-$275 for it to be competitive with the big three Japanese companies. It appears this advice has fallen on deaf ears.

These pre-production radios lack some of the features the full-production radios will have. These will not be FCC Certified for Part 90 use. They will have narrow band capability but will not have the 2.5 kHz tuning step required for Part 90 radios beginning in 2013. The frequency range will be RX:136-174 & 350-480 and TX: 136-174 & 400-480. They did not indicate if any wide-band receive, such as 118 MHz AM, would be available on these pre-production models.

Although these radios may lack some of the bells and whistles we've expected, I imagine they will still be good dual band radios for the ham market. BUT, I still don't feel they are worth $325.

Wouxun says I can't sell these for less than $325. They did not say that I can not include a FREE HT with the purchase. (Rest assured, they will raise holy crap about it, but I'm used to that) So here's my plan. I will place the limited number I have on sale for $350 and include a free KG-UV2D HT in the deal. I'll profit nothing at this but we'll see what happens.

Anytone Dual Band Mobile - AT-588UV

For the past two years, I have consulted with Anytone as they developed their dual band mobile radio. Anytone send a non-working model of the radio for me to show at the Dayton Hamvention (Wouxun would not send anything). Anytone is now sending a working model (for free!) and says full production will begin in early August. Anytone has quoted a price that lets me know this radio will retail in the $250-$275 range. It will be Part 90 Certified and will have some wide-band receive ranges, including AM aircraft. I look forward to working with this company and expect their mobile to be a big seller.

TYT Quad Band Mobile - TH-9800

This radio covers 10 meters, 6 meters, 2 meters and 440 (only FM mode). TYT sent a semi-working model for me to show at Dayton. It would light up with menus working and etc. Those who played with the display said it is a clone of the Yaesu FT-8900. I have a close contact at TYT and am told they are working hard to get this radio into production in October.

Conclusion

I will continue to do my best to bring quality made Chinese radios to the US market and will only send these emails when necessary.

This particular email is going to about 5,000 people so please don't expect a quick response if you send me a question.

Regards,
Ed Griffin

Wouxun.US & Import Communications"

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Ed from wouxun.us sent a scathing e-mail about this pre-release version of the radio. It has a limited feature set, it will not meet the narrow band requirements, is not part 90 approved, and the price has been fixed by the manufacturer. If he sells it for less than the price they set he will not be able to order any of the regular production units, which will be part 90 approved. He is not a happy camper.

Here it is:

"Dear Customer,

Here is the latest news on Chinese dual-band mobile radios.

Wouxun Dual Band Mobile - KG-UV920R

On June 21 I was informed that Wouxun would supply a small number of these radios to selected dealers (max of 10). At that time they also quoted a dealer costs that I thought was outrageous. The dealer costs was almost what I have always considered the retail price would be. In an email I told them sternly that with any dealer markup at all, the radio would not sell in the US and I would decline to purchase samples.

Wouxun response was that when full production began, the dealer costs would be lower. Since I've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars building a market for this company over the past few years, I decided I would not let others bring this radio to market before I did. I reluctantly placed an order for 10 radios, figuring I would sell them at costs, to get them to market.

After my order was shipped, Wouxun informed me that these sample radios must NOT be sold for less than $320-$330. They went on to say "If we found you or your dealer's end price was lower this range without our permission in advance, then we will stop supplying this model to you."

For the past two years, I've repeatedly told Wouxun that this radio must sell for no more than $250-$275 for it to be competitive with the big three Japanese companies. It appears this advice has fallen on deaf ears.

These pre-production radios lack some of the features the full-production radios will have. These will not be FCC Certified for Part 90 use. They will have narrow band capability but will not have the 2.5 kHz tuning step required for Part 90 radios beginning in 2013. The frequency range will be RX:136-174 & 350-480 and TX: 136-174 & 400-480. They did not indicate if any wide-band receive, such as 118 MHz AM, would be available on these pre-production models.

Although these radios may lack some of the bells and whistles we've expected, I imagine they will still be good dual band radios for the ham market. BUT, I still don't feel they are worth $325.

Wouxun says I can't sell these for less than $325. They did not say that I can not include a FREE HT with the purchase. (Rest assured, they will raise holy crap about it, but I'm used to that) So here's my plan. I will place the limited number I have on sale for $350 and include a free KG-UV2D HT in the deal. I'll profit nothing at this but we'll see what happens.

Anytone Dual Band Mobile - AT-588UV

For the past two years, I have consulted with Anytone as they developed their dual band mobile radio. Anytone send a non-working model of the radio for me to show at the Dayton Hamvention (Wouxun would not send anything). Anytone is now sending a working model (for free!) and says full production will begin in early August. Anytone has quoted a price that lets me know this radio will retail in the $250-$275 range. It will be Part 90 Certified and will have some wide-band receive ranges, including AM aircraft. I look forward to working with this company and expect their mobile to be a big seller.

TYT Quad Band Mobile - TH-9800

This radio covers 10 meters, 6 meters, 2 meters and 440 (only FM mode). TYT sent a semi-working model for me to show at Dayton. It would light up with menus working and etc. Those who played with the display said it is a clone of the Yaesu FT-8900. I have a close contact at TYT and am told they are working hard to get this radio into production in October.

Conclusion

I will continue to do my best to bring quality made Chinese radios to the US market and will only send these emails when necessary.

This particular email is going to about 5,000 people so please don't expect a quick response if you send me a question.

Regards,
Ed Griffin

Wouxun.US & Import Communications"

I'm happy to see that other manufacturers from that region are at least making an atempt to compete and/or bring us more choices. What we ultimately get as a final product or products still remains to be seen. So at least we have some hope from other sources. We'll see!

Manny

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Boy I'm glad I went and got the kenwood TM-V71A instead of waiting for this. I'm sure I made the right choice now! For only 40-50 dollars more I got a radio that is a proven performer and has not failed in any way, is easy to use and has 50 watts on both bands, wider receive, ect, ect, ect. It has many more features than the wouxun has.

Not only do I think wouxun shot themselves in the foot with this kind if pricing, they blew both their feet off with a 12 guage shootgun! I see the first 10 radio went fast....I bet it will slow down once everyone starts posting reviews about them, If they're anything like the portables they will be very quirky to operate and program.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'll stick with my Icoms and Yaesu mobiles. I had hoped that Wouxun would maintain their attractive pricing. Aty this price, count me out. Too bad we can't buy
american.

I agree!! No sale here either at that price, or those specs!
If at all possible, I prefer to keep my $$$ here in the U.S.A. :)

n9zas

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
american.

I agree, what does Wouxun expect? I can't wait to see their reaction when these radios don't sell.

for that price i could buy a motorola

Dual band?

Nope, but you could buy a decent dual-band D-STAR rig for the same price as this Wouxun mobile. That says a lot.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2GA-59) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

eter4 said:
Just got the new mobile dualband radio from Wouxun today.

Got some initial thoughts posted on my blog if anyone is interested.

Vee Eh Three Eye Ess Pee dot Com | My Ham Radio Blog

Link no working.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2GA-59) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Link no working.

Try,
ve3isp.com

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.