• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun UV8D vs Baofeng UV82

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlg

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone compared the receive performance of these 2 units.
I am looking for a handheld that has decent performance in a very high rf enviroment.
I had a chance to try the UV82 and was not happy with it, using it mobile the squelch
would open on every little thing, using it at home on an outside antenna was a joke,
as soon as it was connected the squelch opened and no matter what frequency I tried I could
not get it squelched. I don't know if connecting it to the outside antenna was a fair test or not,
it probably overloaded the front end big time, but this is one of the applications I will have for the
radio.

I may have to go with one of the radios that only does 2 meter and 70 cm and does not have
the extened receive coverage.

prcguy

I have a KG-UV8D and have used it handheld on known Intermod problem areas and also mobile with no interference or squelch popping. It also measures very sensitive on a service monitor, around .15uv or better, which is very good.

On the other hand, I have used it twice on hill tops with high RF levels and while it seemed to be working fine, a Yaesu VX-150 and VX-8R at the same location could hear 2m signals that the Wouxun was having trouble with. I also tried using the KG-UV8R cross band repeater function at this high RF hill area and the Yaesu HTs were hearing distant 2m signals far down from the hilltop where the Wouxun in cross band repeat mode was not hearing or repeating the same signals from the top of the hill. I suspect the Wouxun was having Intermod problems and it doesn't show up as annoying squelch breaking noises.

Later the same day further down the RF problem hill we were making some long distance 2m simplex contacts just fine on the Yaesu handhelds and someone else with a Baofeng UV-5R could not hear the distant stations. The Yaesu and Wouxun handhelds had their stock antennas and the Baofeng UV-5R had a stock Wouxun dual band antenna which was an upgrade over the supplied smaller POS antenna.
prcguy

liability

Premium Subscriber
I have both the UV-82 and the KG-UV8D.

I have found that the UV8D seems to have the better receiver, and it obviously has more functions and a better screen than the UV-82.

I have not experienced the problems that the OP has had with the UV-82.

They are both well made units. If I was going to use one in a situation where it will get knocked about I would choose the UV-82, as I am worried that the UV8D's large screen could be easily scratched or broken if it is used while bushwalking, etc.

One downside to the UV8D is the poor quality factory programming software. However, I assume that Chirp will eventually support the UV8D.

towerk

I sometimes experience the 8D problems, it seems to depend on the sending transceiver so it is sensitive to well modulated signals as far as I can tell.

I don't have a UV-82 but my Baofeng uv-b5 is the best of the inexpensive chinese HT's in my experience. I have about 6 of the various models uv1d uv5r etc and the b5 is a keeper. It's also one of the cheapest.

Cheers,

Keith
K3KPH

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Wouxun recently lost their US distributor because they quit doing warranty service. If you go to wouxun.us, it now has Anytone radios for sale instead. I'd hesitate to buy from a company that doesn't support their product.

prcguy

Ed at wouxun.us was the first and in my opinion the best importrt/distributor of Wouxun but there are plenty of others in the US that continue to sell Wouxun and offer warranties. Ed dropped them for many reasons including pricing and failures.
prcguy

Wouxun recently lost their US distributor because they quit doing warranty service. If you go to wouxun.us, it now has Anytone radios for sale instead. I'd hesitate to buy from a company that doesn't support their product.

jk77

I don't have a Wouxun, but I like my UV-82. I cannot speak about intermod or squelch problems because I live in a rural area where those do not present themselves. Like the poster above, I have heard that the UV-B5 (note not the UV-5R) has a better receiver. Likely I will purchase it in the future just for the rotary encoder knob, but for now, the UV-82 does the job I need it to do, and I'm satisfied with it.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a Wouxun, but I like my UV-82. I cannot speak about intermod or squelch problems because I live in a rural area where those do not present themselves. Like the poster above, I have heard that the UV-B5 (note not the UV-5R) has a better receiver. Likely I will purchase it in the future just for the rotary encoder knob, but for now, the UV-82 does the job I need it to do, and I'm satisfied with it.

I have a 2-year old UV-5R, a UV-B5, a UV-82, a UV-82C and a BF-F8HP. If I had to get rid of one, I wouldn't even have to think about it. It would be the UV-B5. YMMV

Jim KC9HI

Gcom

Wouxon Kg Uvd1p

I do not own a Baofeng but have been around a few and
was not pleased with the low audio as compared to the Wouxun. As one other person mentioned the sensitivity is excellent . On the service monitor its sensitivity outperformed all others, TYT , Motorola, Kenwood, and Yaesu plus louder than any of the others except the Moto's. And its a difference you can hear on marginal signals .Some of the other Chinese radios will not operate correctly with 5/8 mobile antenna whereas the Wouxon has no issues. I have two one of them is almost 5 years old has been dropped 18 times on the concrete with no issues. As far as warranty issues I have purchased all of mine from US distributors and they all said they would cover the radio if anything was wrong with it within the period. Even if they didnt its $100 radio. At this point I have no reason to ever buy any other brand unless thetes a mode such as DMR that they don't offer. The Motorolas are all on a shelf now.

Status
Not open for further replies.