Wow decisions uggg....

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7pec

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. It was so appreciated. I just purchased the BCD536HP this morning I should have it Friday....yeah me a weekend of learning...😁

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. It was so appreciated. I just purchased the BCD536HP this morning I should have it Friday....yeah me a weekend of learning...😁
Don't forget that you can download & install Sentinel while waiting for your new scanner to arrive. Go to this page to get the latest version of Sentinel (this was also mentioned in an earlier post by 522).

The Easier to Read Manual for Sentinel can be found here:

You will also need, at some point, the serial driver for connecting the scanner to your PC, if you are using logging software, such as ProScan. The download link for the driver is on this page:

Once you install Sentinel, go ahead & update the database. Also, in your profile in Sentinel, review the Service types you may be interested in. By default, when your scanner is shipped, andor when you install Sentinel the first time, only Dispatch service types are enabled for Public Safety frequencies & talkgroups (Law Dispatch, Fore Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch). You should also enable the Tac and Talk service types for each of those, i.e. Law Talk, Fire Tac, EMS Tac, etc.

You can start building Favorites lists that you may want to use in Sentinel, either by manually entering systems and their details, or by appending systems from the main database,

Reactions: 522

w7pec

well just got off the phone with the warehouse and they are out of stock on the 536hp until after thanksgiving. So I just cancelled the order...going to see who else has them. The reason I cancelled was because when I went to buy from scannermasters they were out of stock. which clearly stated it on their website. oh well back to the drawing board

w7pec

Ok Found one in stock, and its processing (I hope) lol....Should hopefully be here Saturday or Monday

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Enjoy your 536 scanner. You made the best choice of those three with it. I like the 996P2 as well, and have never heard much good about the Whistler scanners, so I don't own any. (I've had a couple of GRE PSR series that all blew).
The two key things I will give you advice on as a long time owner of the x36 series.
* Get to know your "service types", and understand how they work. One of the biggest "gotchas" with those scanners is "I am not seeing it scan or receive x department", only to find the service type is off.
* Get to know how favorites work, and more importantly the short cuts. There are quick ways to turn favorites lists, sub lists and departments on and off. Once you got that, it's easy peasy.
Getting the Sentinel software is a good idea. Also eventually look into getting a professional series SD card, one with a high read-write to it.
I've had SD cards on these things go corrupt before.
Lastly, one huge thing the 536 has over the 996 , and most others, is the replay feature. I can't begin to tell you how handy that is. You'll soon find out.

w7pec

Today my son and I started the job of replacing my old makeshift Scanner Antenna with a new to me Old School Archer (RS) Discone Ant. The tip of the Antenna should be approx 17' off the ground. I hope that I won't have any interference with my 2m/70cm ant. I didn't with the make shift ant. I will get some pics up tomorrow when we finish it up.

w7pec

Well my son ended up having to go train for his new job. So before the storm hit my wife and I went and got the new Discone Antenna up and the make shift down. The new antenna is light yrs ahead of the makeshift, but we knew it would be. Here a couple pics This will work thru the winter then I'll re-evaluate during the spring to see what if anything needs to change. The other ant is my Comet GP-3 it works great but I want more height next year on it also. The New scanner is here and I will see about hooking it up tomorrow or Wednesday

Attachments

• The makeshift scanner ant.JPG
    The makeshift scanner ant.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 25
  • The new discone(1).JPG
    The new discone(1).JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 27
  • The new discone2 (2).JPG
    The new discone2 (2).JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.