Wow decisions uggg....

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7pec

So I want a new scanner. Of course I don’t want to break the bank, but something newer then what have. (Pro-2046) I actually got it new in the box from a local about 2 yrs ago. It works good but I want to upgrade. I currently have a makeshift external antenna. It’s a Shakespeare marine on my roof. I can pull in Police from 40 miles away. I have a scanner ant that will be about 40’ to the tip when we get it installed next week, 🤞.
I’m looking at these 3 scanners the WS-1065, BCD996p2, or the BCD536hp. I’m kind of lost 😞 at all the differences. I live in 84701 Sevier county, UT
Any help would be appreciated I’m looking at just base stations and I want to reach out as far as possible I heard something about a 50 mile range on the 536...
Thanks guys in advance...

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Your reception range is quite dependent on your antenna and downlead cable, less so on your scanner. Of the three scanners you list, either Uniden would be a good bet as both can be upgraded to receive NXDN, which appears to be active in your area. The 536 incorporates a microSD card containing all known frequencies in the US and Canada, and may be somewhat easier to program than the 996. I have experience with both the 996xt, predecessor to the 996P2, and the 536.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I heard something about a 50 mile range on the 536...
See the easier to read manual here for a synopsis of what the range setting refers to. With that said if you have the right antenna at a good height and the right atmospheric conditions, you can bring in signals from 100+ miles away, though mostly VHF and lower. The lower the frequency band, generally the further it propagates

I am a big fan of the Whistler 1065...i have 2 (they are about 250.00 on amazon)..they are computer controllable and work great for me in the Cleveland Ohio area....they are easily programable with the win500 software and RR....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So I want a new scanner. Of course I don’t want to break the bank, but something newer then what have. (Pro-2046) I actually got it new in the box from a local about 2 yrs ago. It works good but I want to upgrade. I currently have a makeshift external antenna. It’s a Shakespeare marine on my roof. I can pull in Police from 40 miles away. I have a scanner ant that will be about 40’ to the tip when we get it installed next week, 🤞.
I’m looking at these 3 scanners the WS-1065, BCD996p2, or the BCD536hp. I’m kind of lost 😞 at all the differences. I live in 84701 Sevier county, UT
Any help would be appreciated I’m looking at just base stations and I want to reach out as far as possible I heard something about a 50 mile range on the 536...
As Bob & Whiskey have both noted, your range for possible reception is affected more by whatever antenna and coax you use, than just by the scanner. I think the "50 miles" you've mentioned is probably the "50 mile" range setting on the 536HP (and other Uniden database scanners). That 'range' is used, along with your location, to enable systems within the range selected when using only the database & location. It has zero affect on whether or not a specific system or agency can be monitored. If, based on your location & antenna setup, the scanner can receive the system, you'll hear it whether your range set is ten miles, fifty, or something else.

While the 1065 is a good scanner, it is based on a design that is over ten years old. It's probably a little more sensitive on weak signals than the 536HP, however the difference is not enough to really notice. The WS1065, and other Whistler scanners, are more prone to overload and desense (hear less) when there are strong signals from nearby towers at your location. These could be broadcast band (FM radio or television channels) or cell towers, or other transmitters.

A couple of your neighboring counties are beginning to use a NXDN system, so NXDN capability (via a paid upgrade) is available on the 996P2 as well as the 536HP, but you do not have that option with the WS1065. Your statewide system is an older Motorola Type II. These are no longer supported by the manufacturer, so many cities, counties, and states that use this system type are upgrading toP25 (digital) systems. Whether any upgrade is planned in the near future in your state & specific area, that question would best be asked down in the Utah forum. Should, at some future date, an upgrade was made to a P25 Phase II system (which are becoming much more prevalent in many areas), the WS1065 cannot receive that type; the two Uniden scanners can right out of the box. The database capability of the 536HP is an advantage if you were considering travel & taking the scanner along.

N8IAA

I would go with the 996P2 first for the ability to add DMR and NXDN. The 1065 second, and a very distant last place for the 536hp. Don't be confused with the 50 mile range of the 536. That is just a setting in the software allowing to program distant sites. Doesn't mean you'll hear them.

I have a 15x that hears two counties that are 30+ miles away on an indoor antenna. It is the analog version of the 996p2.

Remember, your county is analog, and you won't need any fancy scanner to monitor.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'd drop the WS1065 from your list and add the TRX-2. It has DMR and NXDN enabled by default. I own both TRX-2 and the 996P2. I like the 996P2 scanner better just because I know it better, has more useful features that work for me, and it's easier to program in my opinion.

w7pec

Thanks everyone I have decided that I will probably go with BCD536Hp....I'm researching the upgrades and if I want to do it or not. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out. Thanks again so much what I have learned with your comments is a wealth of info to help with the decision making. Keep the info coming or send me links. I'm an open book right now lol

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You've done the right thing by doing your research and asking for our opinions here. Too many hobbyists just jump in without having done that, and make a purchase they later regret. Good luck with your 536!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I just drove from Vegas to Ogden last weekend I15. My 536 monitored the UCA system no problem. I was getting Hill AFB from clear down in Payson. Not so sure about that NXDN system in your area? I didn't load it up for my trip. Please let us know if you upgrade and how it does.

Engine104

Member since 2005
I think you're making a good choice going with a Phase 2 capable scanner. You may not have it yet in your area, but you could at some point.

Reconrider

I didn't see anyone mention it so I am.

If you want to stay cheap as possible, and I noticed the scanners you mention are all Desktops, why not get 2 sdrs from amazon and download a free program to listen to what you want.
It's about 75$ and you can listen to anything you want without breaking the bank.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
SDR's aren't for everyone. They differ from a scanner in the same way that making your dinner from scratch differs from ordering takeout. SDR's require a lot of patience and knowledge to assemble the necessary multiple software packages, and make everything work seamlessly. For me at least, SDR use is complementary to scanner use.

w7pec

I didn't see anyone mention it so I am.

If you want to stay cheap as possible, and I noticed the scanners you mention are all Desktops, why not get 2 sdrs from amazon and download a free program to listen to what you want.
It's about 75$ and you can listen to anything you want without breaking the bank.

I thought about it but it doesn’t work for me. I’m want to be able hear stuff without the use of the internet

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Aside from downloading required software, SDR's don't need an Internet connection for normal operations. A computer is all that's needed, although some use Raspberry Pi's.

Reconrider

I thought about it but it doesn’t work for me. I’m want to be able hear stuff without the use of the internet
100% understandable. Although after the program is downloaded, you don’t need the internet for anything. You can hunt frequencies with sdr# and then use sdrtrunk to follow the trunk if you find any - both programs are great and free. Learning curve, but Easy after you get the “ahh ha” moment.
I only suggested it because no one did

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
sdr's depend on a running computer unlike a stand alone scanner that will stand and run with nothing attached to it except an antenna and a power supple 24/7/365.

Engine104

Member since 2005
I have an SDR. I like it, but it will never replace my scanners. It's great for finding frequencies and for spectrum analysis, but at least in my shack, it will never replace my scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.