Wreck on I45

Status
Not open for further replies.

sconsole

If anyone isn't listening, there has been a MAJOR accident on I45 close to Tiki Island at the Texas City.....DPS, LaMarque PD/EMS/F, Dickinson F/EMS, Galveston CSO, Galveston EMS, and LifeFlight making multiple trips. Sounds like they are working it as 4 seperate accidents

SeniorBasic819

Premium Subscriber
This is Lone Star Rally weekend and the traffic down there is horrible. I figured there would be at least 1 big wreck like this.

wpwx694

Lone Star Rally biker killed in I-45 crash

03:08 PM CST on Saturday, November 4, 2006

From 11 News Staff Reports

A biker who came to Galveston to attend a motorcycle rally was killed late Friday in a crash on I-45.

Investigators say the man lost control of his motorcyle just before the Causeway.

His bike hit the guard rail and bounced back onto the road before being struck by a car.

The victim's helmet was knocked off by the impact.

The Galveston Police Department said this was the third fatal accident involving Lone Star Rally participants.

Tens of thousands of bikers are in Galveston for the weekend rally.

wpwx694

Deadly weekend on the Gulf Freeway

Deadly weekend on the Gulf Freeway

12:11 PM CST on Sunday, November 5, 2006

From 11 News staff and wire reports

Click to watch video
http://www.khou.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=99580&catId=35

Roadways turned deadly this weekend as three motorcycle riders were killed and six more people were sent to the hospital in quartet of accidents Friday and Saturday.

KHOU-TV

A pregnant woman was involved in one of the accidents.
Two separate accidents shut down Interstate 45 southbound and landed six in the hospital Saturday evening.

An SUV headed northbound on Interstate 45 on the end of the causeway near Tiki Island lost control and struck a pickup truck at 7 p.m.

Debris from the accident flew into the southbound lanes and landed under a car headed southbound. As the driver slowed down, he was hit from behind by a car carrying a woman who was six months pregnant.

The two cars then were struck by three motorcycles traveling behind them.

Shock gave way to disbelief as first responders pulled an injured woman from what used to be her SUV. The woman was six months pregnant. She and a man were both transported by PHI Air Ambulance to University of Texas Medical Branch. Four other people were sent by ground to local hospitals, including two minors involved in the northbound accident.

Department of Public Safety troopers said the accident on the southbound side involved two cars and three motorcycles, but it was the result of a northbound accident where a truck and SUV somehow collided.

It's been a deadly weekend for motor vehicle accidents on or near Galveston Island.

Three motorcyclists attending the Lone Star Rally were killed in two accidents in Galveston late Friday.

The Galveston County Medical Examiner’s office confirmed a man and woman were killed about 10:30 p.m. at Harborside Drive and 29th Street when their motorcycle hit a pole.

Sgt. Jeremy Schwartz of the Galveston Police Department said road conditions were clear Friday night.

“As they were making that bend between 27th and 28th streets, they lost control,” he said.

The speed limit on that portion of the road is 35 mph.

Officials are not releasing the names of the victims because only one family has been notified.

In a separate accident, a man died about midnight in the 8100 block of Interstate 45 when his motorcycle struck a guardrail, landed in traffic and was run over. Officials with the medical examiner’s office said toxicology results would not be available for two weeks. The name of the victim is not being released pending notification of relatives.

None of the three were wearing helmets, Schwartz said.

Last year, there were five deaths in total in Galveston relating to accidents during the Lone Star Rally.

The accidents didn't go unnoticed at the annual biker rally. Many said although they were there to have a good time, safety was clearly on their minds.

"It's very dangerous out there, and a lot of people don't see you and not realizing, waiting for a bike to pass them and thinking of a car, you see you know, a bike and people getting killed every day on bikes," biker Troy Trahan said.

"It's just like driving a car, driving anything, I think you know, there's always gonna be some accidents," biker David Roskos said.

The details of the second accident on I-45 from Saturday are incomplete. They apparently lost control of the bike when they hit something stationery in the middle of the road.

This story is available through KHOU, Ch. 11's partnership with The Galveston County Daily News.

Attachments

• M_IMAGE.10eaf6a6a7e.93.88.fa.d0.9e5c5e1.jpg
    M_IMAGE.10eaf6a6a7e.93.88.fa.d0.9e5c5e1.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 869

SeniorBasic819

Premium Subscriber
225Texas said:
What channels are they using for "traffic"?

Since I dont normally scan Galveston County, I am going to guess since I used to work down there and I used some of those channels. Try the Special Event channels, SO Mainland and Island. I am not sure what else. Probably some of the Galveston PD channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.