Writing To Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
When writing to the scanner, the box gives me options to erase favorite lists and force write full database.

Can you explain what each of those does and do they need to be checked if I'm simply doing a weekly update of any changes I've made to my lists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
When writing to the scanner, the box gives me options to erase favorite lists and force write full database.

Can you explain what each of those does and do they need to be checked if I'm simply doing a weekly update of any changes I've made to my lists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does no harm to do it except making a longer write time, but there is no reason to check the "Force Write Full Database" every time you update a new database. You would only need to check that box if you were re-writing a database update of the same date that has already been written to the scanner. The only reason that would ever be necessary would be if the database in the scanner had been corrupted somehow.

Applying an update from Sentinel with a newer date than the one in the scanner (as in routine weekly database updating) will always automatically overwrite (or force write over) the one in the scanner.

If you've changed one of your existing favorites lists in Sentinel, and are writing it back to the scanner, check the "erase favorite lists" box so that you don't end up with 2 copies of that favorites list in the scanner. If you have added a new favorites list in Sentinel, you would not need to check that box when writing to the scanner.

marksmith

The above is a very good description of these options.

As stated, there really is only that one very limited reason to force write the fill database, as it does it when it's normally needed.

I would strongly recommend always using the option erase favorites lists, as it clears the data on the card in the scanner, and then copies a clean version of your favorites lists to the radio. Not doing this will generally cause more problems than doing it, in terms of what ends up on the card in the scanner.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. Erasing Favorites Lists avoids having duplicate Favorites Lists on the scanner and avoids a headache if later on, you do a "Read from Scanner" with duplicate FLs.

tinman981

I'm here in Illinois we have what's called Starcom21 ( statewide public safety radio network ) . Now new TG's have been released to the main database. So when I update the Mater HPDB an write to scanner an check the box Erase Fav. List's on Sentinel I won't lose any of my current TG's , Fav. list ,ect. When all I want to do is update the new TG's onto my fav. list ?

Thank Guy's

marksmith

I'm here in Illinois we have what's called Starcom21 ( statewide public safety radio network ) . Now new TG's have been released to the main database. So when I update the Mater HPDB an write to scanner an check the box Erase Fav. List's on Sentinel I won't lose any of my current TG's , Fav. list ,ect. When all I want to do is update the new TG's onto my fav. list ?

Thank Guy's
Updating the database has no impact at all on favorites lists. It simply updates the full database with any changes, both in Sentinel and on the radio when you do a write.

This allows updated scanning when using the full database, and the use of an updated database to use to append stuff to your favorites lists.

Any changes to favorites lists must be done by you in Sentinel. So if new talkgroups are added etc, you must do these changes manually to the lists.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Status
Not open for further replies.