WS 1065 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4FCF

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a WS 1065 and am wondering what software I need to install to program it via my computer. I'm far from a novice but I've never had a scanner that could be programmed via PC. My OS is Win 10. Any help will be appreciated!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a WS 1065 and am wondering what software I need to install to program it via my computer. I'm far from a novice but I've never had a scanner that could be programmed via PC. My OS is Win 10. Any help will be appreciated!

Check out these links:

WS1065 - The RadioReference Wiki
Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

I have a WS1040, which is the portable version of the WS1065, and use ARC500 on a Windows 10 tablet and really like i, but I know there are lots of folks that prefer WIN500. They both have a trial version so my recommendation would be to download them and see which one you prefer.

N8IAA

Win500 by the Don Starr. Wouldn't go with any other. www.starrsoft.com
Larry

TAbirdman

if you bought it new look at step 3 of the Quick Start Guide - it lists Win500 and PSREdit500 web sites for PC software.

KC4FCF

Premium Subscriber
I have the Win 500 software installed now, but I don't quite understand how to enter frequencies in it. How do I enter the desired frequencies on the desired channels? I know of some frequencies that don't appear in the RR database (Railroad and marine) that I want to put in.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have the Win 500 software installed now, but I don't quite understand how to enter frequencies in it. How do I enter the desired frequencies on the desired channels? I know of some frequencies that don't appear in the RR database (Railroad and marine) that I want to put in.

Check here:

WIN500 - UtahRadio

RDGDigital

Before I answer your question, let me explain an issue many new users will have when using software to program their scanners for the first time. When you use software to upload programming to your scanner, it will erase everything already programmed on the scanner. In other words, you can't just add something to what's already on the scanner (a common mistake). So with this in mind, I'll try to answer your question.

First, you need to download what's already on the scanner to Win500. Select "Scanner" from the main menu in Win500, and then select "Download from Scanner". Assuming your scanner and computer are connected and able to communicate with each other, this will load Win500 with what's already programmed on the scanner.

Second, optional but highly recommended is to save a backup. From the main menu, select "File", and then "Save As...", and then save this configuration on you computer with a unique filename. This way if something goes bad with the following steps, you have a way to restore what you had that was already working.

Third, now in Win500 select the "CONV Objects" tab (I assume you're wanting to add conventional frequencies since you mentioned "Railroad and marine"). From the main menu select "Edit", and then select "New Item at end". This will add a new line item at the bottom of the conventional items list that is pre-populated with information. Just edit this information with the frequency you want to add. To the right of the Win500 screen is a box called "Scan Lists" with check boxes you can click on to select what Scan List you want to put this frequency in. Repeat this step for each frequency you want to add.

Fourth, again optional but highly recommended, make another backup with a unique filename.

Fifth, upload this new programming to the scanner. From the main menu, select "Scanner", and then select "Upload to Scanner". You should be good to go now.

Actually, it's a lot easier to do this than it was for me to describe how to do it.

Hope this helps.

KC4FCF

Premium Subscriber
I figured out how to add more frequencies both from the download at RR and manually. But when I tried to upload it to the scanner, I get the message "no response from scanner". Do I need to do anything else? I have to say that the instructions I've seen aren't very straightforward, at least not to me.

TAbirdman

I figured out how to add more frequencies both from the download at RR and manually. But when I tried to upload it to the scanner, I get the message "no response from scanner". Do I need to do anything else? I have to say that the instructions I've seen aren't very straightforward, at least not to me.

make sure that the scanner is turned on.

RDGDigital

It sounds like Win500 is not communicating with your scanner. Has Win500 been able to communicate with your scanner before? If so, then I would check all your cables and make sure they are making a good connection.

If Win500 has never communicated with your scanner, then it probably is configured for the wrong COM port. You can check this with looking in the folder where Win500 is installed for a file called Win500_COM.exe. Run that program and there will be a new option on the "Configuration" menu called "Find PSR-500/600 Serial Port...". Select this and follow instructions and it will find and set the correct serial port for your scanner.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.