WS 1065 wont connect to my Windows 10 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swipesy

I resolved the issue. Although I had the latest Win500 Windows 10 driver installed it may have been corrupted. I downloaded and reinstalled the Windows 10 driver and all is well.

Bugspro

Yes. The main problem was that I hadn't selected the correct port on my pc. After that everything fell into place. I had to use Com 3 port which makes no sense to me seeing that the pc had only 2 ports.
Set port to 115200,8,N,1

tvengr

Well Known Member
I had to use Com 3 port which makes no sense to me seeing that the pc had only 2 ports.

The com port is a virtual port. I has nothing to do with the number of ports on your computer.

ffjeffp21

Premium Subscriber
I'm having the same issues with mine. I've tried everything listed above, but it still won't communicate. Any other ideas?

Swipesy

I have attached a zip file of my configuration of connecting my PSR-500 using Win500 to a desktop Windows 10 PC. I am using the original USB cable that came with the PSR-500. Occasionally I need to run Device Manager and go to the port that the 500 is on and run "Scan for Hardware Changes" (see zipped file 5) to get it to work. Your issue can only be one of the following (1) bad USB cable (2) wrong Driver (3) PC USB port defective.

Attachments

• Win500.zip
    231 KB · Views: 12

Bugspro

I have attached a zip file of my configuration of connecting my PSR-500 using Win500 to a desktop Windows 10 PC. I am using the original USB cable that came with the PSR-500. Occasionally I need to run Device Manager and go to the port that the 500 is on and run "Scan for Hardware Changes" (see zipped file 5) to get it to work. Your issue can only be one of the following (1) bad USB cable (2) wrong Driver (3) PC USB port defective.
I check your pics and Try to change your bits by seconds at 115200 instead 9600. I have a Whistler original cable for WS1065 for my pro197 and it's work. Also I buy a 20547 cable on Ebay with ftdi chips,install drivers and run #1 too. Do you try to install original driver for your original cable from Grecom website? When you changing bits speed,close psredit and restart after you do it,check your config setting in psr edit. don't forget to choose Psr500 radio. Give me news :)

USB PC/IF Datacable 30-290 Driver for GRE Cable

- Version 1.3a
Windows 98/Me/Vista/XP/2000/Win7)

- Version 1.11
Windows 98/Me/Vista/XP/2000)

Last edited:

ffjeffp21

Premium Subscriber
Still not luck. I'm wondering if I have a bad cable. The led light blinks in the cable when I try to send something over or try testing the port, but the scanner does nothing.

Swipesy

Still not luck. I'm wondering if I have a bad cable. The led light blinks in the cable when I try to send something over or try testing the port, but the scanner does nothing.
My first guess is cable. When I first went to Windows 10 from XP I had similar issues and they were fixed by running Scan for hardware changes on the port. If that did not fix your issue I am suspicious of cable.

SuperG900

WG5ENE

It's always possible.

Try expanding your testing. I am assuming your using WIN500 here. Can you start WIN500's monitor function and does that show the LCD there duplicating the LCD on your Whistler scanner?

Which cable driver are you using?

Is this the factory supplied cable?

Bugspro

Humm maybe...You need to try a after market cable I think. When i used my Whistler cable, this is my config. If I use my 20-546 FTDI this is my config. Maybe you need to Uninstall alls drivers and start again. Do you try a other computer with Windows7 for example? Give me News :)

Attachments

• Whistler Cable A.jpg
    Whistler Cable A.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Whistler Cable B.png
    Whistler Cable B.png
    193.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Cable USB 20-546 AM A.jpg
    Cable USB 20-546 AM A.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Usb Cable 20-546 AM B.jpg
    Usb Cable 20-546 AM B.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 4
  • Usb Cable 20-546 AM C.jpg
    Usb Cable 20-546 AM C.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 4

SuperG900

WG5ENE
Humm maybe...You need to try a after market cable I think. When i used my Whistler cable, this is my config. If I use my 20-546 FTDI this is my config. Maybe you need to Uninstall alls drivers and start again. Do you try a other computer with Windows7 for example? Give me News :)

Here's the thing though, unless you are writing your own software to communicate to your scanner, or trying to use a dumb terminal emulator to talk to it, the default system settings for a serial port are basically irrelevant.

This is because common practice for a windows application is to apply whatever settings are appropriate and needed as it opens the serial port rather than assume the current setting are correct.

As far as the application is concerned, for all intents and purposes, the USB serial port appears exactly the same as a regular RS-232 serial device and is used exactly the same way. It cares not if it is real or emulated.

The big gotcha is the USB device emulating driver. If the driver is misbehaving - then all bets are off. My personal observation here is that there seems to be a bit of a hot mess going on with USB to serial cables. USB devices are supposed to be Plug&Play and for the most are, but the fact that I had to download a specific FTDI vendor Windows driver left a chill in me. It should have simply detected the vendor code and then, if the driver wasn't already installed on the system, downloaded from the Microsoft online driver database based on that vendor code. That didn't happen and I had some issues with WIN500. Windows did install a driver, but is wasn't the right one, which leads me to believe that there's a less than meritable reason that we have to go all the way to FTDI to get the working driver.

USB to RS-232 is such a pedestrian function (computer-wise speaking) that, at least to me as a (geek), I wouldn't expect there to be much difference from one device manufacturer to the next. Apparently, I'm wrong! Why the USB to RS-232 situation is the way it is would be interesting to know in detail.

(My completely unscientific potshot of a guess is that FTDI reused somebody else's USB device vendor code in their chip and, being a no no, MS won't let them publish it in their driver update system.., but FTDI isn't gonna change their chip, now that it is already set in silicon (stone?) and...,hence to need to pop over to FTDI)

(Geeks can be so pedantic..eh?)

Last edited:

TAbirdman

Sorry if this was already discussed but does the PC/IF cable have a colored dot in that little box in the cable? If so, the cable doesn't use a FTDI chipset. There was a large yellow insert that came with the scanner that tells you how to configure the Win500 or PSREdit500 to get the cable to work.

ffjeffp21

Premium Subscriber
I've tried using PSR500 and Win500. Win500 recognizes the cable but does not communicate with the scanner. PSR500 does neither. I also bought a 20-546 cable and tried that with no luck either. Unfortunately, all of my computers are updated to windows 10 so I can't try an older version. The directions that came with the scanner leave a lot to be desired on how to program this from a computer. There is no certain mode that I'm supposed to be in on the scanner, is there? Am I missing something?

Swipesy

Call Whistler Tech Support and see what they say. You may sit on hold or have them call you back. You are having issues that you should not be experiencing. It truly is plug and play if you have proper USB cable and proper driver. I have used my GRE PSR 500 on numerous computers and Windows systems without issue. I think talking to Whistler is your only hope at this point.

Bugspro

You can see my pic from Inside usb Whistler cable here,and pics from my after market cable too. :)

TAbirdman

I've tried using PSR500 and Win500. Win500 recognizes the cable but does not communicate with the scanner. PSR500 does neither. I also bought a 20-546 cable and tried that with no luck either. Unfortunately, all of my computers are updated to windows 10 so I can't try an older version. The directions that came with the scanner leave a lot to be desired on how to program this from a computer. There is no certain mode that I'm supposed to be in on the scanner, is there? Am I missing something?
In Whistler's website - user guides: there is a step by step manual of sorts for both the Win500 and PSREdit500 programs. You'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the scanner manual list to find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.