Ws-1080 In stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6KRU

Can PSR-500 archives be opened by WS-1080 software and loaded into a WS-1080? I'm guessing that would probably work but the firmware I'm not so sure about? What happens when PSR-800 software checks for updates? What happens when a PSR-800 is attached to a PC running WS-1080 software?

SCPD

QRT
nope!

Can PSR-500 archives be opened by WS-1080 software and loaded into a WS-1080? I'm guessing that would probably work but the firmware I'm not so sure about? What happens when PSR-800 software checks for updates? What happens when a PSR-800 is attached to a PC running WS-1080 software?

no, PSR 800 only will do lists imported from its own software.a psr500 archive wont work

Will the whistler ez scan work on the Psr-800? If cmf944 or someone else with a 1080 sends us a copy .....we will see....;) software is located on the sd card of the radio only.

Last edited:

baayers

Got my scanner today and have spent the afternoon setting things up.

1 IMPORTANT for Win 8 Users. The previous instructions for the 800 still apply for getting the serial driver installed. If there are any Mods reading this I made a thread with updated instructions for the 1080 that might be worth stickying for a while.

2 For Avast users the EZScan setup software is being falsly detected as a threat. Its in your best interest to disable protection while doing the installation. In my case there was already a update to EZScan and avast mistakes that as well. I submitted the files to avast to confirm to them the false positives and to get it resolved in the next update.

3 There seems to be a glitch in EZScan which is preventing modification of ScanSets from within the application but I have no issues from the scanner.

Even with what I listed above when it comes to the scanner hardware it is doing an excellent job. My biggest reason for getting rid of my 436 was the huge sensitivity issue on VHF. The 1080 is performing like a champ and is handling everything I throw at it. The only thing I dont have here to test is P25 simulcast but I have a trip to the bay area in a week where I will get a chance to test that. Long story short even with the glitches I still feel like its money well spent.

scannerbuff999

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i tested one today when i was traveled and yes someone gave out a new freqs that was not in the radio and i do have a computer at hand
so am send this o0ne back i do like not having a keypad close at hand anyway that what i thing i will buy one bcd436 it not prefect but i do have a way to put freqs with a computer anyway that what i thing
sorry everyone

KE5TLF

I'm willing to see what happens between the Whistler EZ Scan Digital software, and a 800 if someone is willing to send it to me. Contact me via PM.

Though I'm pretty sure, at the very least, the firmware writing won't work. That would be epically stupid, and irresponsible, for Whistler to allow their software to make such fundamental modifications to anything other than their own product. (at least at this point. MAYBE some day, if they ever officially take up supporting legacy GRE gear, but unlikely that's the case today.)

Last edited:

W6KRU

Another issue I have is a lack of help in EZScan. None of the help buttons on each tab or the help function on the help menu do anything. Anyone else?

baayers

Listening to CHP Extender P25 traffic last night I noticed a great decode even when they were a few miles away. 1 bar signals were no problem. There was a few times in weaker reception transmissions my 1080 could decode where on my 106 I got nothing but garble.

I still look forward to seeing others info on simulcast and P2 since locally I have neither

W6KRU

I listened to the local simulcast mixed Moto II system with an external antenna last night. The 1080 sounded great on analog and digital.The external antenna was a game-stopper on the simulcast for my Unidens but I have to use it to hear the CHP. The CHP (VHF-Low) also sounded great on the 1080.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Am waiting to hear how it performs on an P25 LSM system like Indianapolis. Sounds like they indeed switched the vocoder out from the original 800's. If this is the case like I suspect it to be, Then it should rock on LSM's. If so, then by Christmas I will have one in hand.

Swipesy

Sounds like they indeed switched the vocoder out from the original 800's.

What makes you draw that conclusion? Unlike the new Uniden's which specifically spell out what vocoder they are using the Whistler manual is silent on the vocoder.

baayers

So far so good today. I noticed that the included card is now 4GB instead of 2. I will be going into an area this afternoon where my 106 always gets overloaded by cell towers so we will see how it holds up.

In a strange twist the serial number on my new 1080 is the same as my former 436. LOL

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If the 1080 is a "clone" of the psr-800 then the firmware updates should work on the psr-800's.

Not necessarily. Firmware updates for GRE scanners, and Radio Shack badged GRE equivalent scanners, were not interchangeable. So I double GRE and Whistler would be.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
What makes you draw that conclusion? Unlike the new Uniden's which specifically spell out what vocoder they are using the Whistler manual is silent on the vocoder.

A couple of the posts in other threads featuring e-mails and such from Whistler reps mentions this possibility, and specific mentioning of future DMR ability in future models would pretty much seal that deal. To properly do DMR, not to mention possibly NXDN, the vocoder would need to be the same kind Uniden, and most actual digital radios use. And by them not mentioning the vocoder, that raises flags mentally. That would mean trying to guard proprietary hardware possibly, which would actually make sense. (Yes the basic technology is open source, but if you make subtle changes in it just for your product, then it would be proprietary. Not to mention you don't have to worry about someone claiming your stealing their tech etc... )

SCPD

QRT
tech

A couple of the posts in other threads featuring e-mails and such from Whistler reps mentions this possibility, and specific mentioning of future DMR ability in future models would pretty much seal that deal. To properly do DMR, not to mention possibly NXDN, the vocoder would need to be the same kind Uniden, and most actual digital radios use. And by them not mentioning the vocoder, that raises flags mentally. That would mean trying to guard proprietary hardware possibly, which would actually make sense. (Yes the basic technology is open source, but if you make subtle changes in it just for your product, then it would be proprietary. Not to mention you don't have to worry about someone claiming your stealing their tech etc... )

What I dot get is why wouldn't Motorola put a price on their MotoTurbo or
other system,it would make them money...Right?
Hey uniden or whistler give us $ x money and you can decode our system,no harm no foul,right? If users of the Motorola turbos and DMR and the such want privacy theres always cellphones and enc.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Not necessarily. Firmware updates for GRE scanners, and Radio Shack badged GRE equivalent scanners, were not interchangeable. So I double GRE and Whistler would be.

The RS branded scanners were not clones of the GRECOM models, despite being functionally identical.

Sent via Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The PRO-18 did not:
Have the LED
Have any clock functions
Have any V-Folders
Decode Phase 2

Similar, but NOT a clone.

I was referring more to the Radio Shack PRO-106 vs the GRE PSR-500, and the PRO-197 vs the GRE PSR-600.

Status
Not open for further replies.