WS 1080 SKIPPING SITES

blues222

Hello, I have a ws 1080 for some reason my scanner is skipping a site/tower on Moswin, State system P25 phase 2 system. I monitor another scanner with a 800mhz remtronix antenna, my ws 1080 is hooked up to a 35ft Tram1411. Every once in awhile I turn the ws1080 off and back on, it picks up the site for awhile then I have to repeat. I have also put in a new SanDisk 8gb micro card 4 class. My ws 1080 had the origanal ezscan 2gb micro card probably 10+ years old. But I still have same problem. Any Input Could Help. Thank You.

blues222

Nasby

All the sites are in my scanner and all sites have own seprate sites, I downloaded all of them from Ezscan.
Did you break them up into individual sites yourself? Because Ezscan doesn't download them that way.

Ezscan lumps the sites into one system with all of the sites together.

blues222

Did you break them up into individual sites yourself? Because Ezscan doesn't download them that way.

Ezscan lumps the sites into one system with all of the sites together.
I have all the sites, I lock all of them out but 3 close sites. I receive the one I have on a handheld scanner with remtronix 800mhz antenna and the other scanner is setup the same way but this scanner is on a tram 1411 antenna outside on a 35ft pole and it misses the site that the handheld scanner receives it inside.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have all the sites, I lock all of them out but 3 close sites. I receive the one I have on a handheld scanner with remtronix 800mhz antenna and the other scanner is setup the same way but this scanner is on a tram 1411 antenna outside on a 35ft pole and it misses the site that the handheld scanner receives it inside.
Too much antenna can act like not enough antenna except it will show more signal strength then a crappy antenna (usually full signal), Change the antenna, you're probably overloading the sensitive front end of the scanner. TEST THEM USING THE SAME ANTENNA to confirm. If you still have the problem the scanner has a hardware issue that has to be fixed by whistler.

blues222

Too much antenna can act like not enough antenna except it will show more signal strength then a crappy antenna (usually full signal), Change the antenna, you're probably overloading the sensitive front end of the scanner. TEST THEM USING THE SAME ANTENNA to confirm. If you still have the problem the scanner has a hardware issue that has to be fixed by whistler.
My antenna is a Tram 1411 it's 35ft high with a earth ground. I have no hardware issue. Thank you.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Your problem is the Tram 1411.... discones are notorious for being deaf on the 700/800 mhz bands even though they say they cover it.... also you would need some very low loss coax for those bands. The 800mhz Remtronix antenna will outperform the discone... I routinely monitor the Springfield 800mhz Motorola system with a Remtronix, while I've never been able to hear it on a Diamond discone which has only 25ft of LMR400.
Your best bet on MOSWIN is to monitor the vhf sites if you have any in your range, the 700mhz are quite a bit shorter range from what I've found.
Also I don't know of any MOSWIN sites that are Phase 2 except maybe the St.Louis area possible. They are shown as Phase 2 capable, but all are still operating Phase 1.
Try switching antennas on the scanners to find out if the problem switches to the radio hooked to the discone.

blues222

Your problem is the Tram 1411.... discones are notorious for being deaf on the 700/800 mhz bands even though they say they cover it.... also you would need some very low loss coax for those bands. The 800mhz Remtronix antenna will outperform the discone... I routinely monitor the Springfield 800mhz Motorola system with a Remtronix, while I've never been able to hear it on a Diamond discone which has only 25ft of LMR400.
Your best bet on MOSWIN is to monitor the vhf sites if you have any in your range, the 700mhz are quite a bit shorter range from what I've found.
Also I don't know of any MOSWIN sites that are Phase 2 except maybe the St.Louis area possible. They are shown as Phase 2 capable, but all are still operating Phase 1.
Try switching antennas on the scanners to find out if the problem switches to the radio hooked to the discone.
Thank you for the info, I can receive spfd pd too on the remtronix antenna.