WS-1080 vs BCD-436HP in Los Angeles Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I just adjusted the DSP down from 64 to 50 and listened for about 30 min to P25 stations here in LA.
The decode does sound better. Thanks for the tip. Think I better read the Easy to Read Manual about a number of settings and give this 1080 a better fair shake.
Steve AA6IO

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I just adjusted the DSP down from 64 to 50 and listened for about 30 min to P25 stations here in LA.
The decode does sound better. Thanks for the tip. Think I better read the Easy to Read Manual about a number of settings and give this 1080 a better fair shake.
Steve AA6IO

I'm down around 16. Mileage will probably vary. Just always seemed to get better the lower the number.

coolderb

Hi,
On the psr-800 and 1080 when you plug the USB cable in, you cannot use the radio for monitoring.
That's why you got no audio when usb is plugged in.
It's only for charging batteries or programming.
So you can't use a 1080 without batteries, this is a HUGE con on these radios.
I might have to mount a jack parallel onto the battery leads to feed external wall wart on my 800.
Just don't think there's any room for the jack.

I use my PSR-800 with a USB cable plugged in all the time. I have used it with and without batteries installed. Works fine. I use it mainly as a stationary scanner connected to a laptop via discriminator output for Provoice decoding. The built-in discriminator output and ability to follow Provoice converstaions are killer features!

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Honestly best practices on electronic equipment is to leave your piece of technology on the latest firmware upgrade and not reverting back to previous version. I would not think its good for the chipset going back and forth. I would sure not want to damage my radio. Just my 2 cents

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
You absolutely can use the 800 while plugged in. Like coolderb, I do use my 800 this way every day. In fact it's plugged in and scanning right now.

Gcom

The 436 for the area that I live in is inferior to my GRE PSR 500 & 600's . One of our systems, a VHF P25 simulcast systems is completely unreceivable on the 436 even after tweaks. Another,
a 800 mhz simulcast system was 75% unintelligble and after much tweaking it improved drastically but still misses parts of some transmissions that the GRE'S capture. I realize that in some areas of the country the 436 has helped tremendously with simulcast distortion on p25 systems .My area just does not happen to be one of those. Bottom line is what works in one area may not work so well in an other . Unless things change where I'm located I see no need for the 436 even though I own one .

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The 436 for the area that I live in is inferior to my GRE PSR 500 & 600's . One of our systems, a VHF P25 simulcast systems is completely unreceivable on the 436 even after tweaks. Another,
a 800 mhz simulcast system was 75% unintelligble and after much tweaking it improved drastically but still misses parts of some transmissions that the GRE'S capture. I realize that in some areas of the country the 436 has helped tremendously with simulcast distortion on p25 systems .My area just does not happen to be one of those. Bottom line is what works in one area may not work so well in an other . Unless things change where I'm located I see no need for the 436 even though I own one .

Are you some distance from these systems, or are they local?

The GRE's have always been more sensitive, which is good if you're monitoring systems that are not close by. But they can be overwhelmed otherwise, if multiple systems are in the immediate area.

The Unidens, being less sensitive, fair better when signals are strong, or multiple systems are in close proximity.

Gcom

The 800 is local the Vhf is approximately 18 -20 miles. On the 800 system the tower is 3 miles from me and I have many times been to the different sites. The Unidens have always experienced decoding issues. Before rebanding when the PD patched two dispatch talk groups together it would cause the Unidens to pickup ambulance to ER traffic on the PD dispatch tg's.
Actually contrary to popular belief that more interference is proof of increased sensitivity and based on personal field test the Unidens are more sensitive on VHF Hi but due to better filtering they fare better . At 800 mhz both brands are of comparable sensitivty but once again due to better filtering the Unidens suffer less interference. If you would like to read more on this topic it is covered in marksscanners.com.

Last edited:

W6KRU

Are you some distance from these systems, or are they local?

The GRE's have always been more sensitive, which is good if you're monitoring systems that are not close by. But they can be overwhelmed otherwise, if multiple systems are in the immediate area.

The Unidens, being less sensitive, fair better when signals are strong, or multiple systems are in close proximity.

Not necessarily. The local San Diego Co. RCS simulcast system here can be received full scale without an antenna. The GRE/Whistler can hear the weaker City of SD system fine in spite of the very strong simulcast county system.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Interesting! Everyone gets different results, depending on many factors.

All I know is the new Uniden's resolved the voice clarity issues on Michigan's MPSCS, especially the Macomb County Michigan simulcast system.

If it wasn't for that, I would have kept my GRE scanners, as I was 110% satisfied otherwise.

Thanks for posting your findings!

Gcom

True many factors are involved. Interference is a variable . If you had a commercial service monitor to measure the sensitivty you would see what im talking about . Filtering in a receiver plays a large part . That it why a Motorola radio of the same sensitivity as a scanner will typically receive less interference than the scanner . Anyway this is getting off topic . I am a communications tech and once again you can read this in marksscanners.com .

Gcom

Yes selectivity and not sure of what books you are speaking of. Wanted to add that the radios used in the sensitivity comparisons were a PSR500, Pro 96, Uniden 396xt and 996T . I have not tested the BCD 436 as of yet.

Boatanchor

The 800 is local the Vhf is approximately 18 -20 miles. On the 800 system the tower is 3 miles from me and I have many times been to the different sites. The Unidens have always experienced decoding issues. Before rebanding when the PD patched two dispatch talk groups together it would cause the Unidens to pickup ambulance to ER traffic on the PD dispatch tg's.
Actually contrary to popular belief that more interference is proof of increased sensitivity and based on personal field test the Unidens are more sensitive on VHF Hi but due to better filtering they fare better . At 800 mhz both brands are of comparable sensitivty but once again due to better filtering the Unidens suffer less interference. If you would like to read more on this topic it is covered in marksscanners.com.

Nice to read a voice of reason here.

I too have access to calibrated service monitors and I too have done sensitivity comparisons between the PSR600 & PSR500 and the BCD996XT & BCD396XT. In each case and on all bands, the Uniden scanners were more sensitive.. The Uniden scanners also have better front end bandpass filtering and dual 1st IF SAW filters which adds up to less IMD in the presence of very strong in band signals.

In my experience, the GRE scanners have a fairly crude RF architecture which leads to poor performance on anything other than a telescopic whip or a rubber duck antenna.

That said, there is some merit in the argument that the GRE P25 decoder produces better audio than the Uniden, the GRE/Whistler CTCSS and mute circuits work faster/better and the audio stage has a less 'bassy' characteristic due to better high frequency response.

I hope one day, Whistler gets the opportunity to invest more time into redesigning the RF stages on their scanners, because with increasingly congested bands and increasing signal levels, it doesn't matter what bells and whistles you add into the software and UI, if the RF stages are being overloaded, nothing is going to work.

Ed6698

I have read several people complain about RF being overloaded on GRE/Whistler scanners, I have yet to ever encounter that issue with my PSR-500 in the 3 years I have owned it. I live in a relatively high congested band area, cell tower not far away, and I live not to far away from Chicago, never had RF overload issue one time. Going to be getting a WS1080 here in about a week also, will have to see if that issue occurs with that radio.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have read several people complain about RF being overloaded on GRE/Whistler scanners, I have yet to ever encounter that issue with my PSR-500 in the 3 years I have owned it.

It usually occurs when it's connected to a larger, outdoor antenna. As Gcom pointed out, it's more of an issue with selectivity, than sensitivity.

Selectivity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selectivity_(electronic)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have only had RF overload on my RS197 scanners using outside antennas on VHF, then I put a "FM-Trap from RS in line and it is great, does not affect UHF or 800-700 digital trunking.....

W6KRU

My GREs sound fine when hooked to an outside antenna. My Unidens on the other hand sound terrible due to multipath caused by simulcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.