WS-1080... Why Upgrade From The PSR-800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
As a work-around, disconnect your computer from the Internet. Turn Norton off, then uninstall Whistler EZ Scan. Then restart Norton, connect to the Internet, reboot.

Yuppers, that is what I did. Am I starting over? Nope. Will re-install Whistler EZ Scan and just use it for library updates.

EDIT: To re-install Whistler EZ Scan I had to disable Norton again as now it doesn't like the setup.exe file.

EDIT: When I did the re-install, first time I opened Whistler EZ Scan it had my 800 configuration like I never uninstalled it. WS1080.inf file is back to Whistler code.

Last edited:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS-1080 Why Upgrade from the PSR-800?

@Scannerbuff999 Buttons--- I can address that. I have been using scanners since 1974 with crystal scanners with NO buttons and have put up with a lot of different designs and changes. I thought no conventional buttons would hinder me too but favored the WS1080 over the new Uniden because of the MicroSD card setup, number of batteries and sound based on OLD PSR800 videos on Youtube. I now prefer the FRONT on the WS1080 instead of hunting, pecking buttons. I can do what I want in the dark even with the bottom lights OFF on the WS1080 since there's only a few buttons to feel for. The Up/Down/Left/Right arrows allow me to punch in a new Conventional Frequency on the fly just as fast or faster than button set ups including assigning it to a Scan list. Only problem I have with the scanner is the size of the speaker while listening in the car but there are ways around that. For $500 I have no problems with the lack of buttons.

towertech

Did the edit to WS1080.inf file but Whistler EZ Scan still would not recognize my 800 for CPU & DSP firmware update.

This may be because you needed to follow the "installing unsigned driver" procedure that was discussed in a previous thread. I had to follow this procedure with the edited WS-1080 .inf file, and the PSR-800 is now recognized by the Whistler software, and sees the firmware update option.

After getting a hint from GRE and doing some more looking into this I wrote down how I got Windows 8 to work with the PSR 800 driver for updates. I am not sure if this is called compatibility mode or not but the following worked for me. I could not find that this had been posted anywhere so I thought that I would add it. I hope this helps someone.

Windows 8 installation of unsigned driver for GRE PSR800

1-Copy .inf file from the PSR800 CD to a folder on your computer
2-When you are signed in to Windows 8 as Administrator connect the PSR 800. It will then attempt to load the driver and appear to succeed but the driver will not be working at that point.
3-Load the Charms Bar by pointing the mouse at the upper right hand corner of the screen.
4-Select Power and hit restart while holding down the Shift key.
5-A selection of Troubleshooting options will come up, select the Troubleshoot option
6-Another page will appear, select Advanced Options.
7-The next page will display several repair options, Select the Startup Settings to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart on the next page.
8- A menu with 9 selections will appear. Select #7 or F7 to disable Driver Signature enforcement.
9 Windows 8 will restart.
10-With the PSR 800 still connected open Device Manager from the Control Panel. Select the Com port assigned to the PSR 800 and select Update Driver.
11-Select Browse and point it to the folder in which you copied the .inf file from the PSR 800 CD.
12-Install this Driver. An alert screen will pop up to warn you that this is an unsigned driver, Select install anyway. This will load the unsigned driver and allow it to work with EZScan
13-Check to see if it is working by Starting EZScan and selecting Scanner SD Card and select to set the Real Time Clock to Computer time. If it does it successfully you are good to go.

Last edited:

towertech

I have not tried loading the new CPU firmware yet, I was hoping someone else will be the first :)

The PSR-800 is not recognized for a DSP firmware update in the Whistler software. Only the CPU firmware update shows it is available.

I am guessing the CPU firmware may need updating before the DSP version can be queried, due to a change in the procedure to update the radio's firmware.

The Whistler software does not seem to prompt you to hold the MENU button down as you plug in the USB cable to update the firmware, which the GRE software does prompt you to do.

Just speculation on my part.

Hopefully someone will take the plunge and let us know.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
My thinking is Whistler must have changed the DVSI chip if it's not allowing me to update the CPU with the workaround. Any thought or other suggestions (besides buying a 1080, lol)

SCPD

QRT

Ok I bought the 1080,its a PSR-800 no difference,so is it worth upgrading?
The software is only good for windows 7 and up on the firmware upgrades otherwise it doesn't work because the serial driver is no good for XP.

W6KRU

Ok I bought the 1080,its a PSR-800 no difference,so is it worth upgrading?
The software is only good for windows 7 and up on the firmware upgrades otherwise it doesn't work because the serial driver is no good for XP.

Even Microsoft has dropped support for XP.

SCPD

QRT
yep

Yep and now We'll try 7 and so far its found all my drivers.
Whistler 1080 installed its own driver.And it works.I was amazed the Whistler program automatically selects firmware update on the scanner and eliminates the need for pressing the MENU and plugging in the USB.
I found taking Microsoft .net off allows me to use 7 and the hard drive is sitting quiet.using 700MB only.......
I added an sd card for memory, 4095 of it.

KSDeputy

I am not a technician or a HAM, just a user. I do not like a scanner without a keyboard either. I went to the Whistler website and compared the 1040 & 1080. Each has features the other hasn't. I am actually trying to decide between the Uniden 436 and the Whistler 1040. The county I worked for has put up a new P 25 phase I system. The adjacent county I live in is connected to the state system I was told. Anyway I want to listen to both of them when at home or in my suv. I would sure be open to any advice.

Swipesy

I would sure be open to any advice.

You of course will receive as many opinions as there are forum members but here is mine. I own the GRE PSR 500 and the GRE PSR 800 (and many other scanners). I still think the PSR 500 was the best scanner made by any manufacturer. I use mine as a base unit and the PSR 800 for my mobile unit. I am still disappointed in GRE that they did not make the PSR 800 as an upgrade to the 500 adding memory and and the few additional features that the 800 has. Unfortunately they took away some 500 features (key pad, hit counts, etc.). But, the 500 - 1040 is almost 10 years old now and I would not buy a scanner of old technology. To buy a scanner that does not receive Phase II is not a wise decision. Radio technology is moving forward and public service radios are moving with the technology. Personally I still think the Whistler user interface is far superior to Uniden's and I would buy the 1080. As to the keypad, I miss it but I program both my 500 and 800 by computer anyway and have learned to live without the keypad.

John

SCPD

QRT
800/1080

So k2ool,

Now that you have owned both the PSR-800 and the WS-1080 what have you found to be different?

GRE 800 has older chip to me it sounds clearer on P25
The display is white and easy to see
It comes with Batteries! *
Comes with a CD! *
no cheap USB charger-
I dont remember but I dont think it has direct frequency entry spot in programming but you can still do it.

1080 has new chip for decode
Display is an off blue just like the 436 :( dont like it.
Sound is simliar to the BCD-536HP bassy :( dont care for it
Loads faster! * with same playlist as my 800.....
Doesnt come with batteries -
no cheap USB charger-
no cd -
Comes with two books! *
Has Direct frequency entry via up and down buttons for conventional.

Other than that no difference.
Software is the same,radio is identical.They should have added a keypad!

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Back to my original post, now that we know we can update our libraries using Whistler EZ Scan, I see no reason to upgrade to the WS1080. My only complaint about the PSR-800 is speaker volumn when in a vehicle. WS1095 will fix this.

Due to greed or lack of grey matter, I was willing to brick my 800 attempting a firmware update. Thanks to my lack of grey matter I failed to brick my 800 as Whistler software never recognized it. Using Whistler EZ Scan we can update our 800 libraries which makes me a happy camper.

TAbirdman

... Using Whistler EZ Scan we can update our 800 libraries which makes me a happy camper.

Can you help a newbie understand this? If all you can do with the Whistler EZScan is update the library, why not simply use the GRE's EZScan?

John

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Why Upgrade from the PSR-800?

TA Birdman is correct. There's no reason to use the Whistler version of the EZScan software on the PSR800 since all you can do is update the Radio Reference Data base. You can do the same with the GRE EZScan version as they are still keeping it up to date. You can't turn a PSR800 into a Whistler 1080 with either version of the EZScan software. You CAN go back and use the GRE EZScan software with the new radio "WS1080" I did this as GRE America still has the EZSCan Download on their web-site. The welcome window on the WS1080 displays the GREPSR800 screen and you can use the last update 1.8 with the WS1080. I guess if you liked GRE's 1.8 best? you could use that on your New WS1080. I used it like this for a week until Whistler got their EZScan Software download on their website as I had deleted the MicroSD card with the software on it. You can't brick* the scanner since everything is done on the MicroSD card, you just reformat. This has been resolved in the forums already, you can't update anything but the RRef data base with the PSR800 EZScan version.

Status
Not open for further replies.