WS-1080... Why Upgrade From The PSR-800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Want a good laugh?

So k2ool,

Now that you have owned both the PSR-800 and the WS-1080 what have you found to be different?

Heres a funny one,I went back to the GRE PSR-800,still sounds clearest to me,I do own a BCD-436HP as well but its the backup.
I had the 536HP before the 436 if you want a better laugh.I like the 436 better.

waremaster

Premium Subscriber
Heres a funny one,I went back to the GRE PSR-800,still sounds clearest to me,I do own a BCD-436HP as well but its the backup.
I had the 536HP before the 436 if you want a better laugh.I like the 436 better.

I am the guy who bought your psr-800 and I love the radio (Thanks). I currently have the 436, 536 and 996xt as well what I have found is one radio may receive better in some towns than the other and vice versa.

I use RS800mhz antennas on each handheld and that helps allot. I even use them on the base units and the receive quite well.

SCPD

QRT
I am the guy who bought your psr-800 and I love the radio (Thanks). I currently have the 436, 536 and 996xt as well what I have found is one radio may receive better in some towns than the other and vice versa.

I use RS800mhz antennas on each handheld and that helps allot. I even use them on the base units and the receive quite well.

Everyone says that maybe I will get one of those RS800 antennas.
What I really need an antenna for is the 436HP but it has the SMA connector.Step up radio shack.
i charge my PSR800 off my cable box here on cablevisionland or the USB on my TV.LOL! You want to hear the base sound of the PSR get yourself a 3.5MM stereo to RCA cable and hook it to a stereo or your tv!Wow.
I got the Whistler 1080 in hopes it would sound better,I still dig the older vocoder of the GRE's,they just sound crisper.

waremaster

Premium Subscriber
Everyone says that maybe I will get one of those RS800 antennas.
What I really need an antenna for is the 436HP but it has the SMA connector.Step up radio shack.
i charge my PSR800 off my cable box here on cablevisionland or the USB on my TV.LOL! You want to hear the base sound of the PSR get yourself a 3.5MM stereo to RCA cable and hook it to a stereo or your tv!Wow.
I got the Whistler 1080 in hopes it would sound better,I still dig the older vocoder of the GRE's,they just sound crisper.

Didn't the 436 come with the sma to bnc adapter?

lt307

Premium Subscriber
GRE PSR 800 Digital Scanner vs Whistler 1080

Right now I think the GRE is a better scanner. I am in New Jersey and on the GRE I was able to receive all of the X2 TDMA transmissions loud and clear on the statewide 700 mhz system. The Whistler was programmed as a clone to the GRE. But during a side by side test the GRE worked fine while the Whistler 1080 was silent. The Whistler worked fine with all of the other digital transmissions. If anyone has had this problem please let me know how you fixed it or the scanner goes back to the vendor I purchased it from.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
lt307...go into Settings on the 1080. Scroll up to "DSP Level Adapt" and change the factory default from 64 to 16. Helps me on my PSR-800 on systems in NJ. Try it out on the 1080 and let me know your results.

lt307

Premium Subscriber
1080 Settings

I tried playing with the DSP settings. The 1080 locks onto the control channel and the X2 talk group, Elizabeth PD shows up on the screen, but the D2 does not display and I do not hear anything. I think I have a defective scanner in that it is not decoding properly. I am sending it back.

mikey60

I tried playing with the DSP settings. The 1080 locks onto the control channel and the X2 talk group, Elizabeth PD shows up on the screen, but the D2 does not display and I do not hear anything. I think I have a defective scanner in that it is not decoding properly. I am sending it back.

The D2 indicator will only appear if the talkgroup is a P25 Phase 2 talkgroup. It will not appear on a X2 TDMA talkgroup.This is normal operation.

As far as no sound is concerned, is the talkgroup encrypted?

Mike

Tracker

A question on the GRE-PSR 800......my laptop has not been recognizing my scanner n after reading this old thread, I've come to think that it might be that I upgraded the laptops software to Windows 10!
If so, is it a driver issue? Can a driver be downloaded for this purpose? Any advice or comments......

Tracker

While written for the Whistler 1080, it's just possible that this will work for the PSR800, as it's a very similar radio...

Connection Issues Under Win 10.x Using the WS-1080 / 1095 - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Thank you.......!
I tried this, but don't see the usb for the 800!
First pic is Wihout the 800 n the second pic is With......it seems to have added a composite n a mass storage
But I tried to update them n it says their already updated..
Any further advice..?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 381

Tracker

This is with the scanner connected......I couldn't add both pics to one reply....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 390

Ed6698

Thank you.......!
I tried this, but don't see the usb for the 800!
First pic is Wihout the 800 n the second pic is With......it seems to have added a composite n a mass storage
But I tried to update them n it says their already updated..
Any further advice..?

Look under Ports(COM & LPT).

Status
Not open for further replies.