WS-1080... Why Upgrade From The PSR-800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Even if Don stops updating the library, new frequencies are not common on old systems we monitor, so I would not upgrade to the 1080/1095 unless a new system was being installed in my area and no new library updates were available. Unfortunately for me, a new system is being installed now, so if library updates end, HELLO 1080/1095. Or, is my pea brain trying to justify the purchase of a new radio?

remtronix

From my understanding Library updates would continue but no new firmware updates would be available through Whistler for PSR-800. Unless that changes in future...will wait and see.

AC2OY

So one day the 800 updates are going to stop? Or are we not sure yet? Good to know I will have a nice collectors item. It's ok I had to have it still love my 800📻😊

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
True, if we can get Whistler software to work with our 800s, we wouldn't need to upgrade. Poor financials for Whistler in the short term but great PR for the long haul.

What happened to the GRE for Whistler trade-in program?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 software with PSR800

I downloaded the WS1080 software and used it to create a new mini SD for my PSR800. So far there has been no problem of any kind.

SCPD

QRT
PSR vs Whistler

I downloaded the WS1080 software and used it to create a new mini SD for my PSR800. So far there has been no problem of any kind.

Right but you will NOT be able to upgrade the firmware on the PSR-800 anything past Version 1.8,The Whistler is at 2.0 as of today.

Whistler WS1080 Police Scanner TDMA signals - YouTube

This is Whistler 1080 doing TDMA decode they have MASKS on ,so they still sound pretty good though.

Whistler WS1080 Police Scanner - YouTube

1080 doing p25 above

lt307

Premium Subscriber
Whistler Firmware

Has anyone actually tried to update their GRE 800 to Whistler's 2.0 firmware? My 800 sees the updates, but I am hesitant to actually do the update. If Whistler changed anything the update might "fry" my 800. Come on people, someone out there must have tried to update their 800 with the new firmware. What was the outcome?

SCPD

QRT
psr800 firmware

Has anyone actually tried to update their GRE 800 to Whistler's 2.0 firmware? My 800 sees the updates, but I am hesitant to actually do the update. If Whistler changed anything the update might "fry" my 800. Come on people, someone out there must have tried to update their 800 with the new firmware. What was the outcome?

Dont worry you cant.It errors out.And of course if you use the PSR software it only goes to 1.8 which is BETA software.The Whistler Firmware is 2.0.
They must have changed something in the Whistler internally so it handshakes with the new software and tells it yes I am a Whistler not a GRE.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 vs PSR800

I did some experimenting last night with the 1080 software and my PSR 800. I was able to create a usable database and V-Scan folders and they worked as usual. What did not work were the settings such as back light brightness, beep tones off, etc. As long as my 800 continues to work well with my local simulcast system, i will be in no hurry to drop $500 or so on a new scanner

OHIOSCAN

it would not be a bad idea for Whistler to offer GRE 800 owners a paid upgrade for newer DSP and CPU firmware even for a small charge, just keep the 800 owners in the family.

Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
GRE 800

It was mentioned that the 1080 has a newer chip in it. If this is correct, then it is likely that any 800 firmware update would not bring the older scanners up to the same standard. The pr value of an upgrade would be good, but the costs of reviving the old GRE line have had to be quite high for a limited market product line.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Like others, I have been able to update the library on my 800 using Whistler software. Both GRE and Whistler library number are the same. Somewhere here there was a fix to change a .inf file so we can update firmware. I cannot find this post. Either I am blind or it was removed?

lt307

Premium Subscriber
Whistler Firmware

This was posted on the "Whistler 1080 in Stock" thread posted on 10/1.

Here is what i did to get the Whistler software to see the scanner, I copied the GRECOM_PSR-800.inf and the Whistler_WS1080.inf to the desktop and edited the Whistler_WS1080.inf.

I did not upgrade the scanner as I can not replace it right now

Leave both the GRE and the Whistler EZscan software installed

Replace at the bottom of the Inf:

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Vendor and Product ID Definitions
; When developing your USB device, the VID and PID used in the PC side
; application program and the firmware on the microcontroller must match.
; Modify the below line to use your VID and PID. Use the format as shown below.
; Note: One INF file can be used for multiple devices with different VID and PIDs.
; For each supported device, append ",USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy" to the end of the line.
[SourceDisksFiles]
[SourceDisksNames]
[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_0C97&PID_0008&MI_01

[DeviceList.NTamd64]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_0C97&PID_0008&MI_01

; String Definitions
;Modify these strings to customize your device
[Strings]
MFGFILENAME="mchpcdc"
DRIVERFILENAME ="usbser"
MFGNAME="Whistler"
INSTDISK="Whistler Installation Disc"
DESCRIPTION="Whistler WS1080 Serial Device
SERVICE="USB RS-232 Emulation Driver"

After doing so I was able to check for a CPU upgrade, but not a DSP (the CPU my need to be upgraded 1st)

With the scanner plugged in, open device manager, and uninstall the GRE 800 under USB Devices.

Backup and remove both the GRECOM_PSR-800.inf, GRECOM_PSR-800.PNF and the Whistler_WS1080.inf from Windows\Inf folder, copy the modified Whistler_WS1080.inf from the desktop to the Windows\Inf folder and scan for hardware changes in device manager.

Open the Whistler application and check for updates for the CPU.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Did the edit to WS1080.inf file but Whistler EZ Scan still would not recognize my 800 for CPU & DSP firmware update.

CAUTION: Tried to uninstall Whistler EZ Scan to start over but Norton Anti Virus will not allow the uninstall. Why? Norton says the Whistler uninstall file is only 17 days old and fewer than 50 people in the Norton community have used it. Based on this they have given it a MEDIUM risk.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Did the edit to WS1080.inf file but Whistler EZ Scan still would not recognize my 800 for CPU & DSP firmware update.

CAUTION: Tried to uninstall Whistler EZ Scan to start over but Norton Anti Virus will not allow the uninstall. Why? Norton says the Whistler uninstall file is only 17 days old and fewer than 50 people in the Norton community have used it. Based on this they have given it a MEDIUM risk.

As a work-around, disconnect your computer from the Internet. Turn Norton off, then uninstall Whistler EZ Scan. Then restart Norton, connect to the Internet, reboot.

scannerbuff999

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
sorry to new owner of ws1080 i can not seen myself lay out around 500 dollars
on a radio without a key pad , there have been many times that people have given out a new freq
and with a computer around which i do not carry to air show no deal
sorry just what i thing

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The 1080 and 1095 have slightly different operating systems from the old PSR-800. it has more options such as the settings available on the DSP to multiple levels instead of just the one on the old scanner. This has been said to actually be a pretty good workaround on LSM systems. Still not as good as vocoder switch Uniden did, but its a big step up. Am still thinking the next gen will upgrade the vocoder.

Status
Not open for further replies.