Ws-1080 / ws-1095 info from whsitler...

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Answer to my question regarding the vocoder...

-The WS1080/1095 will have the same DVSI vocoder.

Answer to my question regarding the WS-1080 being a "rebranded" GRE PSR-800...

-We have made some further firmware enhancements. The WS1080 is more than a rebranded scanner. The DVSI code is the same. Our reputation for best audio on digital signals suggests there is something more to it than just the codec.

Direct from the mouth of Whistler.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Those "firmware enhancements" should include a much stronger front end than my PSR 600 which is susceptible to front end overload.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
A front end overloading means it is already quite strong and sensitive, perhaps too sensitive for metro areas with massive rf going on. Then again, playing around with squelch and attenuation comes in to play there. I for one prefer an sensitive front end, and that is why I always loved GRE products. :)

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
They wouldn't say...they only said the 1080/1095 have the same DVSI DSP chip. Whether they updated the chip from the PSR-800 was not answered. I know Uniden updated their chip in the 436/536 series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSDeputy

When the newest Whisler scanner comes out, I am waiting for input from owners before I decide between it or the Uniden 436. When you are retired $ 500 seems like a lot of money.

joeuser

The Wretched
When the newest Whisler scanner comes out, I am waiting for input from owners before I decide between it or the Uniden 436. When you are retired $ 500 seems like a lot of money.
You could get a used one on eBay a lot cheaper around 350, sometimes lower/higher. Just have to keep your eyes open. These whistlers don't do Phase 2 like the 436 does. Something to keep in mind.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
PSR 800

The 800 is also phase 2 capable with the "beta" firmware upgrade formerly released by GRE.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Those "firmware enhancements" should include a much stronger front end than my PSR 600 which is susceptible to front end overload.

Not necessarily. Front end overload is usually a product of too much signal which really can't be addressed by a firmware fix. Usually some hardware mod would be needed, or maybe some additional switchable attenuation. I suppose that a firmware fix could vary the amount of the attenuation, but it's really closing the barn door after the horse has left.

Mike

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
love my 1ws080 but running windows 8.1 does not allow for some updates . Is there gonna be a new update soon that makes software compatible with 8.1??

Status
Not open for further replies.