WS1010 scanner trouble shoot

Hayazi

Hey, I am trying to program a ws1010 Whistler for my grandpa. I am trying to get channels from Chicago and Lake county Indiana, I programmed some frequencies from radio reference, however, when I go into scan mode, I never hear anything from the PD and fire channels I programmed. I have the volume set on the max setting, and the squelch set at the 12 o'clock position. I am very very new to this so please try to explain some trouble shooting methods in the lamest terms. Thank you for your help in advance!

Hayazi

I am having trouble with all of the ones I programmed, Munster, Dyer, Chicago, South Bend.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
With a proper radio (one that can receive digital signals), the good news is according to the database all of St. Joseph County, IN appears to be unencrypted. the bad news is Dyer is 67-straight line miles from South Bend. that's too far unless grandpa has a sophisticated yagi antenna on the roof. but if lhe's using the built-in rod antenna he's likely out of luck.

most, if not all Chicago comms are encrypted so no joy there. Dyer as well as most of Lake County, IN are in the clear on the state P25 digital network. The Indiana State Police and the Illinois State Police are in the clear. If you've programmed the radio correctly your grandpa should be able to hear them.