- Feb 11, 2006
- SE wisconsin
I just wanted to note an observation I made that may help others who run into the same trouble I did: I have two WS1040 handhelds, production dates 7/14 firmware 2.6 and 10/14 firmware 2.8. At first the only differences I noticed were the RSSI settings, and a couple of zeromatic setting changes. Now the fun part. I was going crazy trying to figure out why the older model seemed deaf on some signals on UHF. I had 462.400 programmed as a conventional object. I could have the squelch wide open, NFM mode, and even "forced analog" by setting it to CTCSS search only and what would come through perfectly programmed as a normal conventional channel on my other various radios was BARELY audible in the noise on the older Whistler. I finally narrowed it down that those particular signals not coming through were LTR, and for some reason it would just not let them through no matter what! My guess is apparently a fix was made for this in the newer firmware, because I discovered the newer model picks them up fine. It sure would have been nice if Whistler made some notes on their website on exactly what changes or improvements were made when firmware upgrades are released.