WS1040 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritz73

Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to note an observation I made that may help others who run into the same trouble I did: I have two WS1040 handhelds, production dates 7/14 firmware 2.6 and 10/14 firmware 2.8. At first the only differences I noticed were the RSSI settings, and a couple of zeromatic setting changes. Now the fun part. I was going crazy trying to figure out why the older model seemed deaf on some signals on UHF. I had 462.400 programmed as a conventional object. I could have the squelch wide open, NFM mode, and even "forced analog" by setting it to CTCSS search only and what would come through perfectly programmed as a normal conventional channel on my other various radios was BARELY audible in the noise on the older Whistler. I finally narrowed it down that those particular signals not coming through were LTR, and for some reason it would just not let them through no matter what! My guess is apparently a fix was made for this in the newer firmware, because I discovered the newer model picks them up fine. It sure would have been nice if Whistler made some notes on their website on exactly what changes or improvements were made when firmware upgrades are released.

sprite1741

I haven't noticed any issues with my WS-1040, it has the latest firmware but how do I read the date code? My RSSI settings are the lower ones, 190 to 320 or so. My GRE-500 uses the higher numbers, 680 I think for 5. Yes there were some zeromatic changes as well on the 1040 vs the older 500 line. I got 1040 from the big A last month. The date code 06A16

Last edited:

fritz73

Premium Subscriber
Right, the RSSI is lower on the newer one-190 230 260 290 320. The two zeromatic changes I noticed are for "5k in Hi" 527 and "in Hi" 558. As far as the date codes I'm just making an assumption, but they do look very similar to the way Radio Shack would do it 07A14 simply meaning July 2014 for example. One thing I also noticed but didn't mention is the keypad is "mushier" or sloppier on my older one as well, sometimes not registering the first time you press a button. The newer one has a much more positive "snap" feeling to it as you press the buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.