WS1040: WS1040 Not Picking Up Anything

threeofnine

Premium Subscriber
I was gifted a WS1040 handheld scanner. I am a complete beginner so I watched a YouTube video on how to program it. I bought and used Butel ARC500 to upload my desired frequencies. The frequencies show up on the scanner screen but there has been no audio received, or static, whatsoever. I've used the scanner app on my phone to confirm the agencies I've tuned to are broadcasting but the WS1040 isn't picking up anything. Obviously I am doing something wrong or the scanner is not functional, is there a way to test the scanner?

I have been within 4 miles of the transmission source but still nothing. I have also tried to switch out the stock antenna with a larger CB antenna. I am trying to scan: Alabama Highway Patrol, Birmingham and Decatur. Gardendale, AL Police and Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

tjnevins

MXZ
Premium Subscriber
I have had two WS1040's and one WS1065's ... still have a WS1040. All good radios, all with no issues ... also programmed them with Butel ARC 500 pro.

Is your squelch working/adjusted correctly ? Can you hit a weather station (WX). So this was previously owned ? ... maybe the handheld scanner was dropped and the antenna connection is an issue; could be an easy fix if you know what to look for. Look closely at the BNC antenna connection and then if ok go inside the unit to inspect the antenna solder joint.

Chronic

Have you tried using the scanner on batteries? i once had an issue with a power supply / wall wart from Amazon that made so much electrical noise the scanner would not receive anything.

threeofnine

Premium Subscriber
I have had two WS1040's and one WS1065's ... still have a WS1040. All good radios, all with no issues ... also programmed them with Butel ARC 500 pro.

Is your squelch working/adjusted correctly ? Can you hit a weather station (WX). So this was previously owned ? ... maybe the handheld scanner was dropped and the antenna connection is an issue; could be an easy fix if you know what to look for. Look closely at the BNC antenna connection and then if ok go inside the unit to inspect the antenna solder joint.
I believe the issue was I am a moron. Seems my CB antenna was the problem. Everything is working beautifully now. I had no idea that there was a difference between a CB antenna and a scanner antenna.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Could be programming issue. Did you program sites and talkgroups?

What site(s) did you program? I note that some of the sites in your area are simulcast (e.g. Jefferson County Simulcast). The WS1040 can struggle with simulcast. You may want to program some other nearby sites to see if you get better results.