WS1040 performance / initial programming

quarterwave

All, I have programmed several Whistler/GRE/RS units over the years, I am very familiar with system setup and I have files built for local people who I have programmed new radios.

I am doing a 1040 right now, I usually do desktops, this is only the second 1040 I have done. I am concerned with the performance. Having many years of commercial radio experience, I know the antenna it comes with is not great, and portables are very location frisky. My desktop can get control channels with no antenna, and this 1040 doesn't seem to hear them. The conditions are not challenging, and I should be getting at least 3 sites on the State Motorola system with it.

If I crank the squelch all the way down (open, in old school terms) it does light up the T more, but not like my desktop (RS version of 1065) even with its antenna off. Of course this is an issue if I have any conventional channels scanned (separate bank) as well.

Has there been any quality issues with these? I don't think you should have to run the squelch all the way down if they are working right, and I'm not sold that it's hearing well. Although, it does get about 4 NOAA's ok.

I have tried the default settings, and customized settings (expert mode) to see if there is a difference.

Any input? Not looking for miracles.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is possible you are experiencing simulcast distortion. Which system are you trying to monitor and which sites are you using? Are you using programming software? What is your desktop scanner? If the desktop receives the system without an antenna, you may be overloading the WS1040. Try turning on the attenuator.

Last edited:

quarterwave

It is possible you are experiencing simulcast distortion. Which system are you trying to monitor and which sites are you using? Are you using programming software? What is your desktop scanner? If the desktop receives the system without an antenna, you may be overloading the WS1040. Try turning on the attenuator.

No, I havent had that trouble here. Desktop is a RS version, I use ARC500.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you attach your ARC500 programming file, I will check it for problems. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder.

quarterwave

If you attach your ARC500 programming file, I will check it for problems. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder.

I've run it a while now, and it seems to be working fine, between and home and work this morning it was getting traffic with about 5 different control channels, spread over 3 banks. (I have each county programmed in separate banks, so exclusive talk groups, and each has different sites) This is so the user can select which counties he's listening to, he lives at the corner of 3 counties, essentially. It's all on one State owned system.

At this point it just wants to be ran with the squelch only about a 1/4 of the way up, a little more and it won't hear control channels at all, but there or below it receives very well, sitting in the same spot. Just more finicky than I am used to. I know my desktop runs just below half squelch just fine.

tvengr

Well Known Member
(I have each county programmed in separate banks, so exclusive talk groups, and each has different sites) This is so the user can select which counties he's listening to, he lives at the corner of 3 counties, essentially. It's all on one State owned system.
Be aware that statewide systems do not necessarily honor county lines. If a site in a neighboring county has a better signal, units in your local area may affiliate with it. If you let me know the user's city, counties to be scanned, state, and the system, I can take a look at the database to determine the best way of programming it.

Last edited:

quarterwave

Be aware that statewide systems do not necessarily honor county lines. If a site in a neighboring county has a better signal, units in your local area may affiliate with it. If you let me know the user's city, counties to be scanned, state, and the system, I can take a look at the database to determine the best way of programming it.

I'm aware, done this more than once. Thank for the reply. I got it dialed in. Again, just wasn't 100% on the performance expectation of the portable version.