WS1040/WS1065 vs Simulcast 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
Question to all including Whistler. Is there any resolution to monitoring the 800 Simulcast? The older GRE stuff seems to work fairly well, but all the newer stuff seems to be a fail. Once again yesterday I sold a 1040 to a customer and the only way could get it to receive a signal was adding a Miracle Baby antenna to receive the simulcast system here. Even with that it was missing probably 50% of the transmissions.

Looking for some help / answers.

Thanks
Garry

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
You backup exactly what I have observed first hand as well.
In nearby saginaw, midland counties that have 4 tower systems, people I worked with on rs pro 651-652's, ws1040-1065's and other whistler models asked why after a couple days no reception of any kind on those systems. Pro106-197s when they were sold, saginaw was the only simulcast and never had anyone say no reception at all like whistlers, other than the occasional garbled audio.

When the 651-652s came out, I originally thought maybe it was their radio or my programming, but then I added one scanlist with the attenuator on, threw different decoding numbers in the expert settings, people still would report no reception. I tell em try to lower the antenna on the desktops, move their radios around, even tell em the paperclip antenna method.
Occasionally the whistler made ones apparently work, but I explain to people about your location and where the towers are. I recall one fellow that said his 1065 worked well in Saginaw, but also lives maybe 1 mile away from a tower.

Whistlers don't do well in simulcasts. Here is review of the high end TRX1 in four tower Saginaw county. Need to view the entire video.

If I get asked what scanner to get and they are in a simulcast county, I strongly suggest Uniden, those models do work better in simulcasts especially with the latest firmwares. Granted everyones 'mileage will vary'.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hi Gary! I guess I continue to be one of the lucky ones here in Macomb Township, MI, near 25 Mile & Romeo Plank Rd. Using Whistler's scanners as well as Uniden's have worked very well for me on Macomb County's Simulcast System! I've used the BCD996XT, BCD996P2, BCD325P2, BCD436HP andBCD536HP. All work with good signal strenght and very minimal distortion from multi-path. Regarding antennas, I find less is better. Over the years I've tried numerous Yagi's as well as an expensive corner reflector. But the best solution seems to be keep it simple. In my office I use the RS800 rubber ducky, and the Comet CH32 Miracle Baby you mentioned. In my vehicle I've had good luck mounting an RS800 directly on the back of the radio using a 90 degree adapter and turning the antenna horizontal, directly behind and parallel to the back of the radio and mounting the radio low and under the instrument panel. Breaking all the rules and ignoring what should work better. Go figure?

I think I'm at an advantage due to my location in relationship to all the antenna sights. Where is your customer located generally?

Bill C.

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.... I have switched to the G4 & G5, its amazing, even runs circles around the 436. I’ll probably have to look at becoming a dealer for the Unication. I can’t recommend any whistler to friends / customers etc any longer.

Garry

You backup exactly what I have observed first hand as well.
In nearby saginaw, midland counties that have 4 tower systems, people I worked with on rs pro 651-652's, ws1040-1065's and other whistler models asked why after a couple days no reception of any kind on those systems. Pro106-197s when they were sold, saginaw was the only simulcast and never had anyone say no reception at all like whistlers, other than the occasional garbled audio.

When the 651-652s came out, I originally thought maybe it was their radio or my programming, but then I added one scanlist with the attenuator on, threw different decoding numbers in the expert settings, people still would report no reception. I tell em try to lower the antenna on the desktops, move their radios around, even tell em the paperclip antenna method.
Occasionally the whistler made ones apparently work, but I explain to people about your location and where the towers are. I recall one fellow that said his 1065 worked well in Saginaw, but also lives maybe 1 mile away from a tower.

Whistlers don't do well in simulcasts. Here is review of the high end TRX1 in four tower Saginaw county. Need to view the entire video.

If I get asked what scanner to get and they are in a simulcast county, I strongly suggest Uniden, those models do work better in simulcasts especially with the latest firmwares. Granted everyones 'mileage will vary'.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Garry and others reading this I just wanted to say the whistlers work perfectly fine in non simulcast areas, although in S.E. MI its all simulcast.

Thanks.... I have switched to the G4 & G5, its amazing, even runs circles around the 436. I’ll probably have to look at becoming a dealer for the Unication. I can’t recommend any whistler to friends / customers etc any longer.

Garry

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
I find that it works "ok" on the MPSCS system, could be better. but you are correct. when I was performing tests yesterday MSP worked fine, but simulcast was "0" and about 50% with the miracle baby. The GRE 500 & 600 perform better than these whistler models. makes me wonder what the difference is.

Garry and others reading this I just wanted to say the whistlers work perfectly fine in non simulcast areas, although in S.E. MI its all simulcast.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
fnnm400 - Coming soon from Whistler are the TRX-100 handheld and TRX-200 mobile scanners. they are designed to improve reception on LSM Simulcast transmissions. they are using a SDR chipset and TRUE I/Q technology. the scanners will be Replacing the Flagship TRX scanners currently being offered. Both scanners will offer Bluetooth Audio. expect them to Arrive Q1 2019 , that just around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.