WS1065: WS1065 P25 Conventional Question/ENC

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
My home county is adding a new P25 Conventional to their Fire/EMS system, and I have no idea how they will be making this setup work, but how the county and communications team will essentially set it up is, they will be using the same channel/frequency, 2 different ways, with the same NAC as well.

Our new "OPS 6" will be P25 Conv. in the clear, and the new "OPS 7" will have the same info as "OPS 6" but will be ENC with ADP. I know newer Uniden scanners will automatically mute encrypted transmissions, and still decode any voice traffic that's "in the clear" on that channel/frequency. My question is, can I still put the new, clear "OPS 6" in my 1065, or will it "freak out" when it tries to hear the ENC traffic on the "OPS 7" since they will both share frequency and NAC's?

I hope I made sense above! 😅😂

Thanks in advance!

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Just put the frequency in, but with the DPL/CTCSS they use. That way the radio wont stop on anything till it picks up the frequency and the DPL/CTCSS tone.

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
Just put the frequency in, but with the DPL/CTCSS they use. That way the radio wont stop on anything till it picks up the frequency and the DPL/CTCSS tone.

It's P25 NAC though, and both the "OPS 6" and "OPS 7" will share the same frequency and NAC info/data. The 2 channels will share and have the same info, but one way it will be P25 in the clear, and the other P25 ENC.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Encryption takes place inside the subscriber radios, not the repeater. So in reality both of these new "channels" are really the same channel/repeater, but they've decided to call the clear mode Ops 6 and the secure mode Ops 7.

Anyway, your scanner is going to stop on the channel even if it encounters encryption. It does not skip over it and continue scanning like Unidens do. You can set Encrypted Digital Audio Settings to mute the audio, but it will remain on the channel for the duration of the transmission.

Oh and you only need to program it in once since the frequency and NAC are the same for both, so put it in as Ops 6/7 and mute the encryption and hope they don't use it too often, because it'll get annoying seeing the scanner sit on a channel doing nothing.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Re-reading your post since your saying both ENC and in the clear are the same NAC codes... I don't feel there is any fix since whistlers let through ENC noise. Hopefully they wont use it too often?

Regrettably the WS series and all earlier versions of this scanner PSR500/600, Pro 106/197, Pro 651/652, including current WS1040, there is no mute encryption option, your stuck with it.

Last edited:

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
Re-reading your post since your saying both ENC and in the clear are the same NAC codes... I don't feel there is any fix since whistlers let through ENC noise. Hopefully they wont use it too often?

Regrettably the WS series and all earlier versions of this scanner PSR500/600, Pro 106/197, Pro 651/652, including current WS1040, there is no mute encryption option, your stuck with it.

That's what I figured as well, but wasn't 100% sure. Thank You!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ah bummer, wasn't aware of that, not much of a GRE/Whistler guy.

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
Encryption takes place inside the subscriber radios, not the repeater. So in reality both of these new "channels" are really the same channel/repeater, but they've decided to call the clear mode Ops 6 and the secure mode Ops 7.

This is correct.

Anyway, your scanner is going to stop on the channel even if it encounters encryption. It does not skip over it and continue scanning like Unidens do. You can set Encrypted Digital Audio Settings to mute the audio, but it will remain on the channel for the duration of the transmission.

Is this in the Expert Settings Menu?

Oh and you only need to program it in once since the frequency and NAC are the same for both, so put it in as Ops 6/7 and mute the encryption and hope they don't use it too often, because it'll get annoying seeing the scanner sit on a channel doing nothing.

That's what I planned to do. Thanks for your help/input! I've been recently suggesting and sometimes replacing the WS1065 with the Uniden 996P2 or 325P2, but wanted to know what to do for the places and locals that have a 1065 to monitor our area.

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber

So would I be better off not even putting in the new "OPS 6/7" in the Whistlers? lol

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It really depends on how often they use the secure mode. If it's sporadic and most comms will be in the clear, they it'll only be a minor annoying once in a while, probably still worth programming.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
On the Whistlers, you could get by with pushing the L/OUT button when they are ENC Ops 7 as that will be a temporary lockout. Granted if they start using OPS 6, you wouldn't hear it. To re-enable that locked out frequency, easiest and quickest way would be to restart the radio and it will come back.

Just for reference, if you push FUNC then L/OUT button it is a permanent lockout. Doesn't erase it out of the scanner, but its just remains locked out until you manually unlock it or reprogram it from software.