WS1065 Scanner Issue on MOSWIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCANNERGUY35

Hello, I have a Whistler WS1065. I scan the SLATER system for Jefferson County and have no issues. I can even monitor MSHP through SLATER with the MSHP Patch TG. But when I program the Imperial MOSWIN site, I don't hear everything, I programmed the TG's I want but not sure why I am not hearing anything. Every once in a while it will pick Troop C Disp 2 up, which I have programmed in, but it usually drops out before the transmission is done but with little to no audio. Not sure why. It is not showing the "T" on the screen. Keep in mind I am located in Festus. When I program the Lawrenceton, Ste. Genevieve Co Site into the scanner, it shows the "T" in the screen, stops on TG's that someone is talking on, but again, no audio. I have tried adjusting the thresholds, and still nothing!!! Please help before I get mad and spend more money on a BCD996P2!!!! lol.

Help Appreciated!

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
when it stops on a TG have you checked that it is not encrypted?
If encrypted the1065 may be set to not pass audio.
Also might be worth programming a voice channel like

from the Lawrenceton site to see you get audio that way.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
when it stops on a TG have you checked that it is not encrypted?
If encrypted the1065 may be set to not pass audio.
Also might be worth programming a voice channel like

from the Lawrenceton site to see you get audio that way.
Encrypted Talkgroups are likely. When I monitor the Imperial site, there is always traffic on the federal talkgroups like those in the 33xx range which are seen in other parts of the state with a 233xx format.
I also see some St Louis City PD traffic show up on the Imperial site. Any St Louis City talkgroups will be encrypted as well.
Like @scanner92us said, the 1065 should pass the encrypted audio though so you would know to lockout the talkgroups.

The only other thing I can think of is overload from FM broadcast stations. The GRE models are famous for not having proper FM broadcast band filtering leaving the end user to install an external FM band notch filter.
Even though you show as in Jefferson County, FM broadcast stations can be a problem when trying to monitor VHF high frequencies like most of the Moswin sites use.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
But when I program the Imperial MOSWIN site, I don't hear everything, I programmed the TG's I want but not sure why I am not hearing anything.

Are you near highway 30 and PP?
There's a lot of stuff on the towers there that could affect the front end of a GRE model.

SCANNERGUY35

No, I'm in Festus. And I know its not encryption because Trp C Disp 2 doesn't encrypt, atleast from what i have seen. Like I said, SLATER has a TG for MSHP Patch, so when I hear a conversation I will hurry up and switch to my MOSWIN system and sometimes I will hear that same conversation and it cuts out and sometimes it doesn't even stop on a TG. It's very weird!! And it isn't showing the "T" on the screen like it does for the Ste. Gen site, as it should showing that it is monitoring a trucked system... It is very weird how the scanner acts!!!! The only other thing I can think of is my reception.... IDK!!!!!! I have tried Attenuation and even Global Attenuation! It has done great for the SLATER system though! Just wish I could monitor St Louis City/County, but I am too far!

Also, on the Ste Gen site it atleast stops on TG's, but no audio!!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Are there any 152.xxx MHz paging transmitters in Festus?
They will kill a Whistler or GRE models front end. I live less than a mile from some of the major hospitals here and two of them have paging transmitters on their rooftops. I had to buy PAR paging band notch filters in order to use some of my radios on Moswin. You just need to make sure you still have a Moswin signal to work with as the paging and Moswin are all in the same 152.xxx range so the filters will also attenuate Moswin. It gets tricky for sure.
Being as the VHF Moswin sites are not simulcast, I'd be pretty sure something out of band is getting into your 1065's front end and overloading or desensing it. Any FM radio station transmitters near Festus? It's been a while since I've been down that way and I don't remember!

wbswetnam

The WS-1065 only decodes P25 phase 1. Perhaps the Imperial MOSWIN site has made the move to phase 2?

SCANNERGUY35

If they moved to P25 P2 then I wouldn't EVER pick up there trasmissions! However, sometimes I hear talking and sometimes I do not! They could be mid sentence and all of a sudden it drops out!

I'm not sure about paging transmitters around me! I will look into that! It's not that big of a deal considering I can still hear MSHP through the patch on SLATER. I plan on keeping the WS1065 here at the house and putting a BCD996P2 in my car, along with my 2m and 440 radios.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It has at least gave me something to look into!

Status
Not open for further replies.