WS1065 Whistler

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanRamsey

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to program my WS1065 Whistler. I have purchased a membership and followed the instructions on my Owners manual, but I am having difficulties see where I can program my scanner utilizing radioreference. Any suggestions?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to program my WS1065 Whistler. I have purchased a membership and followed the instructions on my Owners manual, but I am having difficulties see where I can program my scanner utilizing radioreference. Any suggestions?

Have you followed the instructions here?

If so, which 3rd party software program have you installed on your computer? And where in the process are you running into problems?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference, Dean

In order to program your WS1065 by downloading from the website, you will need to be using software that has import capability.

To help you get started, see this article in the Wili:

See this page for more specifics on the software:

There are no free software programs that will work with your scanner. The three software programs mentioned in this just above are Win500, PSREdit500, and ARC500. While there is a fee to use any of these programs, they all offer a 30 day free trial period. Download one, or all three, and see which one you like best.

Stacks125

Premium Subscriber
Hey Dean, was in the same situation about two days ago, I downloaded the psredit500 from radio reference, paid for the license fee, then use the import icon on top, import from radio reference, I did the trunked system since our county just went digital, takes a bit to figure out what channels to get but then import to psredit500.

Stacks125

Premium Subscriber
Thought I would just add this question on here since Dean may have the same problem soon. Hope someone can help, I was trying to find the answer in other forums, but I imported trunked data to the psredit500 and then successfully uploaded to my ws1065, problem I am having is the scanner is barely picking up any chatter while I hear everything on my fire pager. Our county just went digital, so I took all the vhf channels off and put on the digital channels, haven't changed any of the psredit500 settings before uploading, any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thought I would just add this question on here since Dean may have the same problem soon. Hope someone can help, I was trying to find the answer in other forums, but I imported trunked data to the psredit500 and then successfully uploaded to my ws1065, problem I am having is the scanner is barely picking up any chatter while I hear everything on my fire pager. Our county just went digital, so I took all the vhf channels off and put on the digital channels, haven't changed any of the psredit500 settings before uploading, any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
Stacks,
What is your location (city, or county, and state)?
Also, what is the name of the system you're trying to program? A link from the database would be helpful.

Stacks125

Premium Subscriber
Stacks,
What is your location (city, or county, and state)?
Also, what is the name of the system you're trying to program? A link from the database would be helpful.
It is Michigan, Ottawa County, programming Ottawa County Simulcast(MPSCS), was just loading Fire North and South and Police 2 which are the main ones for the county that I am in. Sorry, been trying but not sure how to load a link on here. Again, I got them loaded to the scanner, just not picking up 95% of the chatter, thanks again for the help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It is Michigan, Ottawa County, programming Ottawa County Simulcast(MPSCS), was just loading Fire North and South and Police 2 which are the main ones for the county that I am in. Sorry, been trying but not sure how to load a link on here. Again, I got them loaded to the scanner, just not picking up 95% of the chatter, thanks again for the help.
Take a look at the sites for the Ottawa County Simulcast:

If you are getting broken, or sometimes garbled, audio in reception, or missing a lot of calls, simulcast may be your issue, Read this Wiki article for an extended discussion of the problems it causes:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

If that site, on MPSCS, is the primary thing you are monitoring, and you are using your WS1065 as a base (at home, not in your vehicle), you might try moving it around, trying different locations in the room. Sometimes, a move of only a few feet makes way more difference than you thought it would. You could also use a directional antenna, aimed at a specific site, preferably one that is in a different direction from a group of the other sites. If you have the DC power card, for use in your vehicle, that should have come with the scanner, you can also take a short drive to as close as practical to one of the sites. Then, start up the scanner using the car or truck's power instead of power from an ac socket at home. The very strong signal for that site may wash out the out of synch signals from the rest of the simulcast sites. If that works, and you get more reliable reception, then that would confirm that your biggest problem is coming from the simulcast.

Stacks125

Premium Subscriber

If you are getting broken, or sometimes garbled, audio in reception, or missing a lot of calls, simulcast may be your issue, Read this Wiki article for an extended discussion of the problems it causes:

If that site, on MPSCS, is the primary thing you are monitoring, and you are using your WS1065 as a base (at home, not in your vehicle), you might try moving it around, trying different locations in the room. Sometimes, a move of only a few feet makes way more difference than you thought it would. You could also use a directional antenna, aimed at a specific site, preferably one that is in a different direction from a group of the other sites. If you have the DC power card, for use in your vehicle, that should have come with the scanner, you can also take a short drive to as close as practical to one of the sites. Then, start up the scanner using the car or truck's power instead of power from an ac socket at home. The very strong signal for that site may wash out the out of synch signals from the rest of the simulcast sites. If that works, and you get more reliable reception, then that would confirm that your biggest problem is coming from the simulcast.
Thank you, will check that out and try that

tvengr

Well Known Member

I have an ARC500 file for Ottawa Co. If you download and install Butel ARC500 for the free trial period, you can upload the file to your scanner. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500 and Upload to Scanner.

Attachments

• Ottawa Co MI.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 5

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is an updated file including the Michigan State Police. Scan lists as follows:
1. Ottawa Co Interop
2. Ottawa Co Fire
3. Ottawa Co Law
4. Ottawa Co EMS/Hospital
5. Michigan State Police
Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500 and Upload to Scanner.

Attachments

• Ottawa Co MI 2.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

tdegeus

Hey Dean, was in the same situation about two days ago, I downloaded the psredit500 from radio reference, paid for the license fee, then use the import icon on top, import from radio reference, I did the trunked system since our county just went digital, takes a bit to figure out what channels to get but then import to psredit500.
Just wondering if you were able to receive Ottawa County digital traffic? I live about 5 miles from the Allendale tower and getting nothing. I’m guessing simulcast issues.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Hey Dean: I got your location mixed up with another post. Here is a file for Miami Co IN. The file is done in ARC500. I can easily convert it to a WIN500 file. If you don't have either one, you can download and install Butel ARC500 for the free trial period. Scan lists as follows:
1. Miami Co EMA
2. Miami Co Fire
3. Miami Co Law
4. IN State Police
Save the zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500 and upload to your scanner.

Attachments

• Miami Co IN.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 2

tdegeus

tdegeus

Simulcast is the the problem in Ottawa County. I'm 4 miles from two different towers and didn't receive a signal until I installed a low cost yagi antenna pointed at a tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.