WS1065

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpstowing

Premium Subscriber
New to trunked scanners/scanners period. Went and bought one it was programmed when i got it, worked like a charm in the shop. drove home abt 40 miles away.... i cant even hear half of what i was hearing at the radio shop. I need Help!

amanaman1

Premium Subscriber
First thing would probably be a range/reception issue as 40 miles difference is pretty far. Where are the towers located that you were hearing at the shop vs where you are now? Was the radio using the stock telescoping antenna at the shop or something else? Are you now using the stock antenna? What kind of system(s) are you trying to listen to? Conventional frequencies? P25? Many P25 systems are bad for simulcast distortion that the WS1065 can have a hard time with depending where you are in relationship to the towers. There are a lot of variables but if it worked good at the radio shop then antenna/range/reception are probably what you are dealing with.

bpstowing

Premium Subscriber
Well the shop has their own tower for that city. so of course signal was great there. im trying to use the stock antenna but also used an antenna from the highest point of the roof of my home.... Still nothing. IDK what kind of system this has. but i know that there are towers around here that i should be programmed to and im not. i was told that when they programmed they forgot to program any other towers but thier own.... idk that just doesn't make sense to me at all.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well the shop has their own tower for that city. so of course signal was great there. im trying to use the stock antenna but also used an antenna from the highest point of the roof of my home.... Still nothing. IDK what kind of system this has. but i know that there are towers around here that i should be programmed to and im not. i was told that when they programmed they forgot to program any other towers but thier own.... idk that just doesn't make sense to me at all.
See this thread in the Arkansas Regional Forum:
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/garland-county-hot-springs.370591/post-2933080

According to the latest posts, the Hot Springs (city) 700MHz system is not yet in use; they are still using their old Motorola Type 2 system.
Garland County is using the statewide AWIN system, but can access the old system, and will also be able to access the new one.

Without knowing which system was preprogrammed, as well as which site, it would be hard to advise you what needs to be added or changed. As amanaman1 noted, if you are forty miles from the shop where the scanner was working when you picked it up, you are likely out of range of whichever site they entered. With the hills and valleys in the Hot Springs area, if one of those ridges is between you and the site, it may be hard, if not impossible, to hear from your home area. Possibly a different AWIN site would work, though there is a possibility that it would not carry all the radio traffic you want to hear.

I would suggest that you request your thread be moved to the Arkansas forum. Someone there might have more information as to which site (or sites) that you should try to use.. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I love my WS-1065, it is a great scanner for its intended use. But, not if you are attempting to scan a P25 digital simulcast system. Out of all of my digital scanners, the 1065 is the worst when it comes to linear simulcast modulation. It chokes and sputters and emits goofy garbled audio that is impossible to comprehend and monitor at all. It all depends on the mixes at the towers, but it happens at the worst times - when it gets real busy. Happy to say I invested in a pair of the SDS scanners and LSM is no longer an issue at my monitoring station. I have delegated other duties to my WS-1065 and it performs flawlessly as it was designed. I love the fact that it is lit up and easy to see. Simulcast? No. Everything else? The 1065 rocks.

JD
kf4anc

bpstowing

Premium Subscriber
I love my WS-1065, it is a great scanner for its intended use. But, not if you are attempting to scan a P25 digital simulcast system. Out of all of my digital scanners, the 1065 is the worst when it comes to linear simulcast modulation. It chokes and sputters and emits goofy garbled audio that is impossible to comprehend and monitor at all. It all depends on the mixes at the towers, but it happens at the worst times - when it gets real busy. Happy to say I invested in a pair of the SDS scanners and LSM is no longer an issue at my monitoring station. I have delegated other duties to my WS-1065 and it performs flawlessly as it was designed. I love the fact that it is lit up and easy to see. Simulcast? No. Everything else? The 1065 rocks.

JD
kf4anc

oh boy! that wont make the owner happy! well guess we will be investing in another scanner shortly. We are getting the AWIN stuff with a few quirks, if it were a cb i would call it walking on top of other users. The biggest problem i am having is programing the analog frequencies. Things i could hear when i first brought the darn thing home i cannot hear at all now.

Status
Not open for further replies.