WS1065

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileslong

Ok, got P25 all figured out. Wasn't as bad as I had initially thought.. just a learning curve.

My question is.. I have the scanner about 5' from my computer and it seems like whenever my video card fans turn on... I lose trunking control channel data, or it's sporadic at best. I do have a stronger antenna on the way... because the signal is kind of spotty anyways, but in the meantime, are there any settings that I can play with or adjust that may help this? The owner's manual doesn't get too far off into the weeds with functionality.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Remove the scanner antenna, hold on the control channel frequency, and open the squelch. Check if you hear any change in the noise when the fans turn on. What band does the system use?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Don't expect to get great reception using the rubber antenna indoors and/or sitting next to an RF source such as a computer. Use an external antenna.

mileslong

Remove the scanner antenna, hold on the control channel frequency, and open the squelch. Check if you hear any change in the noise when the fans turn on. What band does the system use?

My computer is a desktop that is hardwired into a switch. I do have a long range access point that's a couple rooms away... Not sure if that would mess with it or not. It operates on the standard wifi freq. 2.4 and 5 GHz. This will probably be a non issue when the other antenna arrives. Just frustrating in the short term. I'll give what you suggested a try. Thank you.

Don't expect to get great reception using the rubber antenna indoors and/or sitting next to an RF source such as a computer. Use an external antenna.

It's far enough away from the computer that I didn't think it'd be a huge deal. I wasn't expecting much from the stock antenna and have a discone already on the way. I was asking more about settings within the scanner that I may not know of that might help. The owners manual tells you what it does, but doesn't go much further into detail.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you pick up a signal with no antenna, there is a good chance that the interfering signal signal is coming in from the power line. Try plugging the scanner into a different wall outlet.

mileslong

If you pick up a signal with no antenna, there is a good chance that the interfering signal signal is coming in from the power line. Try plugging the scanner into a different wall outlet.

I hadn't thought about that... my pc can draw 700 watts and the scanner is plugged into the same circuit as the pc. I'll bet that's what is going on here.. the graphics card hands down is the biggest power consumer in the pc and I lose trunking when the gpu gets fired up.

Thanks again tvengr!

Status
Not open for further replies.