WS1080 Firmware Update Failed Radio Won't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kctexas

A firmware update for my WS1080 failed and now the radio will not boot up and the SD card is not recognized by my computers. (I am a Mac user so I run EZ Scan under Orable VM.)

The radio displays the following:

uP Boot Ver:F1.1
up App Ver: NONE

CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

When I plug in the USB cable in the SD card is not recognized by either MacOS or windows.

When I bring up EZ Scan the firmware update screen pops up and it download the firmware ant attempts to install it. The progress bar progresses a status of “uploading firmware to radio.

During the this process there apparently is some communication with the radio because it says “Upgrading – Wait”

When the status reaches nearly 100% the popup says:

Update Error!

The update of the firmware to the scanner failed. The scanner rejected the upgrade! This is usually due to a corrupted download from the Internet.

The radio then displays “Error – Turn Off”

I’ve tried copying configuration fromScanner Memory/SD Card and it says “There was an error accessing the SD Card.”

Any help would be appreciated.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
is this true ws1080? delete and reinstall the ws1080 comport driver

If it s a upgraded clone then delete and reinstall the driver for the model number of the scanner.

The sdcard has nothing to do with cpu or DSP firmware

kctexas

Wackyracer,

Thanks for the reply. This is a true ws1080. I was able to delete the driver and when I connected the radio it reinstalled the driver. Unfortunately when I bring up EZ Scan after downloading and attempting to update the firmware I still get the update error.

kctexas

Just a little more info. After deleting the drivers the first time I plugged the radio in two drivers were installed, Whistler WS1080 MSD USB Device, and Whistler WS1080 Serial Device (COM3). I tried again and a third driver was installed, WD=SD Scan Device.

kctexas

Just saw this post on the Whistler site:
Scanner update announcement
There is currently an issue affecting users' ability to update their scanners with the EZ Scan programming software. We are aware of the issue and are working toward a solution.

phhatcat

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I am also having the same problem with my 1080, that is: no SD card recognition by PC and the same error message when trying to update firmware.

Apparently, the old firmware was removed from my scanner during the process. Now, I cannot use it at all because there is no firmware.

Has anyone heard an update from Whistler about this issue?

kctexas

Here's the reply I received from Whistler:

HI,

First Update the EZScan software

Go to our support page and download the CPUUpdater for your model scanner. Follow the instructions in the program and it will get your unit back running again.

John

I found it didn't really matter which you did first. Once I downloaded the CPUUpdater my scanner was up and running again.

I had to download the latest EZScan software from the Whistler web site to prevent repeatedly "hozing" the scanner.

Good luck!

apd3190

I myself had many problems that occurred out of the blue. I bought a new sd card as a last resort. Radio working perfect. I dont know if thats the answer to your problem but it worked for me

phhatcat

Premium Subscriber
Downloading the CPU Updater from Whistler fixed it. Thanks.

The only thing is that you have to go into device manager (on Windows, anyway) and find what port your scanner is (mine was COM10).

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.