WS1080 - standby battery life while unplugged using rechargeable batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackculb

Question for those with a WS1080 Scanner: If you leave fully charged (new 2000mAh eneloop or even 2450mAh LADA) batteries in your scanner and leave the power off how many days should you get before all battery life has depleated?

I seem to only get a few days of battery life if I put new batteries in, turn it on once to set the date/time, then turn the unit off with no USB power plugged in. Does this seem normal? I have a Uniden HP1 that I can have on rechargeable batteries only and it does not seem to drain with the power off and not plugged in. Three or so days later my WS1080 is dead when I try to turn it on. Does it take that much power to keep the date/time updated? Also, I do not charge batteries in the scanner and only charge outside with a quality SkyRC charger.

Thanks!

eyes00only

It definitely makes a huge difference if it scans most of the time as opposed to actually transmitting traffic. I'm sur others will respond with more information.

jackculb

It definitely makes a huge difference if it scans most of the time as opposed to actually transmitting traffic. I'm sur others will respond with more information.
My question is when the power is off on the scanner ... with freshly charged batteries installed and not connected to a power source.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
Question for those with a WS1080 Scanner: If you leave fully charged (new 2000mAh eneloop or even 2450mAh LADA) batteries in your scanner and leave the power off how many days should you get before all battery life has depleated?

I seem to only get a few days of battery life if I put new batteries in, turn it on once to set the date/time, then turn the unit off with no USB power plugged in. Does this seem normal? I have a Uniden HP1 that I can have on rechargeable batteries only and it does not seem to drain with the power off and not plugged in. Three or so days later my WS1080 is dead when I try to turn it on. Does it take that much power to keep the date/time updated? Also, I do not charge batteries in the scanner and only charge outside with a quality SkyRC charger.

Thanks!

I think you should get way more time than that. I cant say for the 1080 but I do have a ws1088. It's been put up for well over a year and I just checked and the battery monitor is still showing a full charge but this is with duracell alakalines. Also I have TRX-1 that I use the 2000mah eneloops with and I will go several months before using it but when i do there is still enough battery to last at least 6 hours.

ilgrant

Is the scanner determing that the batteries are depleted? I know they have a custom battery configuration in the software that I have never played around with. I would have to see what the current draw is when a unit is off (standby) as I am sure the battery is keeping the clock running.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
After over three weeks not being used, mine had about 90% of the charge left. I charge all my batteries in an external charger that conditions and balances each battery individually.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I've left it off for 3 months with fully charged batteries. They are at about 90 or 95% after 3 months. Something not right with your unit or batteries ?

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I just got thinking about this.... there is a setting on the whistler scanners to have it turn on automatically (like an alarm clock) at a certain time each day. I've never used it, and don't recall if there is also a "turn off time" or lenght of time to stay on, but I don't think so..., I'll have to look.

Anyway, just a thought maybe it is coming on at 9am and draining the batteries ..... it's in general settings.

jackculb

Thank you for all the responses. I was afraid that I would hear from the masses that the behavior is not consistent with your units and was trying to avoid the $ of the repair fee to send back to Whistler. I will probably just use it plugged in from now on instead. In fact, with the battery charge setting set to 0 (to never charge in the radio) the batteries don't deplete while the unit is plugged in. I just cant le

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
Search for "Potential battery killer" and you will find my thread on the Pro-668 which is the RS version of the WS1080. There is a capacitor that can short out and pull current from the battery even when the scanner is turned off. I took the scanner completely apart and removed the shorted cap which helped but there was still a small draw on the battery more that normal.

jackculb

My Whistler WS1080 is on the way to Whistler support for the parasitic battery drain. Hopefully they are able to reproduce the issue and fix the device. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.