WS1080 "Stored Values" unchanged after updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I recently updated the CPU and DSP firmware on my WS1080 to the December 15 versions. However, the "stored values" have not been updated with the software. The updates were successful and show as such when the scanner is connected to the computer. The Win10 driver signing is off and the WS1080 driver shows up correctly in the Device Manager. Is there any way to adjust the "stored values" manually so it will detect the right updates next time without me having to plug in the scanner?

Thank you!

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 "Stored"

I don't know what that means either... unless YOU mean you're switching microSD cards and one is showing say* 4.3 and you know you updated to 4.4 firmware. Then the other SD card says 4.4 and is up to date. Is that what you're talking about? Because that's what my cards say. ALL that is IS when you update the firmware ... you did it with one SD card, not the other. Then when you change SD cards again, that one says you need to update to 4.4. It's really updated, the firmware IS the right one if you're up to date. You can check that by pressing the menu button at the Welcome screen and it shows you. So even if one microSD says something different, it's ok if you did the updates. If you really MUST have both cards showing the same things? you can re-do the firmware update with the other microSD card. I did. If none of this is what you mean? then ignore it. I've had no problems with any stored stuff on EZScan lately, just the occasional freeze up crap again*

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Are you referring to the local copy of the RR database library?

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what that means either... unless YOU mean you're switching microSD cards and one is showing say* 4.3 and you know you updated to 4.4 firmware. Then the other SD card says 4.4 and is up to date. Is that what you're talking about? Because that's what my cards say. ALL that is IS when you update the firmware ... you did it with one SD card, not the other. Then when you change SD cards again, that one says you need to update to 4.4. It's really updated, the firmware IS the right one if you're up to date. You can check that by pressing the menu button at the Welcome screen and it shows you. So even if one microSD says something different, it's ok if you did the updates. If you really MUST have both cards showing the same things? you can re-do the firmware update with the other microSD card. I did. If none of this is what you mean? then ignore it. I've had no problems with any stored stuff on EZScan lately, just the occasional freeze up crap again*

Yes, when I say "stored values" I am referring to the update check when the scanner is not plugged in, where it says "based on stored values." The last update of CPU and DSP did not update the "stored values." I've tried re-flashing a few times and it still doesn't make a difference, there's a risk of bricking so I stopped trying after a while. The others (library, software, location) are correct and change with each new release.

No, there have been no SD card changes before the last CPU and DSP upgrades, and again all the "stored values" are correct except for CPU and DSP, including the software which I upgraded prior to the CPU and DSP.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
Are you referring to the local copy of the RR database library?

No, the RR library stored value is correct and changes correctly when updated. The CPU and DSP updates have no effect on the stored values anymore after I updated them the last time.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a bug to me. Perhaps just write down the real firmware versions you have loaded? Once a new one appears, wait a week to see if it ruined things, then plug in and update as normal?

I think it's pretty much established that all of this stuff is 2/3 of the way broke.

TAbirdman

turn on the scanner and when the WHISTLER is shown hold the menu button until the firmware versions are displayed. What do they show?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Oh. Another thought:

I am not sure exactly where they store the "current version" datapoint in the firmware code. It could be that someone forgot to update the value in the code with the new firmware. So, the scanner is actually providing the EZ Scan software with the firmware version as it is supposed to, but the scanner is reporting the wrong value because someone forgot to update that part of the code.

It could be a lot of things, really, I'm just throwing out an example.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
turn on the scanner and when the WHISTLER is shown hold the menu button until the firmware versions are displayed. What do they show?

uP Appl Ver: U4.4
DSP App Ver: 3.0 / DSP Voc Ver: 1.6 (flashes between these two fields)
DSP build#: 101
RR Lib Ver: 501

Stored values on EZ-Scan when the scanner isn't plugged in:

CPU: 4.3 with 4.4 available
DSP: 2.3 with 3.0 available

When the scanner is plugged in, it shows the latest versions:

CPU: 4.4 (latest version)
DSP: 3.0 (latest version)

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
Oh. Another thought:

I am not sure exactly where they store the "current version" datapoint in the firmware code. It could be that someone forgot to update the value in the code with the new firmware. So, the scanner is actually providing the EZ Scan software with the firmware version as it is supposed to, but the scanner is reporting the wrong value because someone forgot to update that part of the code.

It could be a lot of things, really, I'm just throwing out an example.

I'm thinking it's a software issue though, since when the scanner is plugged in the correct CPU & DSP values are reported. It's only the stored CPU & DSP values when the scanner is not plugged in that are reported incorrectly. And other things like software version and RR database updates are correct and change correctly with updates.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Dan, I've not yet done the update. I'll do the CPU and DSP first and see what EZ Scan says with that.

TAbirdman

have you closed and reopened EZScan? If so and nothing changed, how about rebooting the PC and then open and check EZScan?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Alright, I updated my CPU. Using an older version of EZ Scan, it correctly shows a stored value of 4.4. So, it's likely a EZ Scan bug, I suppose.

It had communication failure during update as usual. This time I guess the firmware was half-way deleted or something. After I hard rebooted the scanner, it cleaned up the firmware and said nothing installed. Interestingly, once I continued with the upgrade, it finished rapidly with no communication errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.