WS1088 and WS1098 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I have a Whistler WS1088 with a Whistler 800 MHz tuned antenna and a Whistler WS1098 using the stock antenna. I get extremely poor reception on the Connecticut Statewide Emegency Radio Netqork (CSERN) system not only in my apartment in Greenwich but in most places I travel. I will usually see a "T" displayed in the upper center portion of the scanner display for a short time with a fluctuating signal strength meter while locked onto a talk group, followed by the "T" being replaced by an "S" and a weaker signal strength meter. This cycle repeats on both scanners and I usually end up missing transmissions as a result. I never messed with my scanners P25 settings but I am wondering if that needs to be done. Adjusting the regular squelch doesn't seem to help much. I used the EZ scan software to program the system directly from the RR database. From reading through some of the threads on here, it looks like a place to start would be to start locking out sites that I am not in range of. Is there a chance that I am picking up interference from somewhere? I will post my configuration for both scanners on this forum once I get home from work. Any help would be appreciated.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Most likely Simulcast distortion. The SEARCH* function above will show you 100's of complaints since those toys came out. Can't be fixed unless you only use it at home with a YAGI antenna. My WS1080 sits unused a reminder of Whistler carelessness and deception. $480 later. Thank God for Unication. G5 Pager is a real P25 digital radio, what a pleasure it's been having one.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Well that is unfortunate. I don't intend on getting rid of these scanners so maybe I will just get a YAGI antenna on Amazon, as the CSERN system is the most important system I scan now. Do you have any recommendations? The CSERN system is on the 700 MHz band.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but I'd make sure to get one with a lot of gain like 13db. I got one with 7db of gain and it did not help the Whistler at all.
I don't see the one listed on Scanner Master anymore that I got, but that's where I got it. It's the only thing that can help those
scanners. Ended up with one with a 700/800mhz 13db of gain and used the 7db for when I want to hear Chicago (Chi-Raq) fun on the 400mhz side. I use mine IN the apartment, not outside since I have no access. Still works well enough with experimentation for the right spot
Rooftop Single-Band Yagi | Scanner Master

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
I am in Greenwich CT. I didn't update my profile when I moved up here. Not sure which route I will take, but it is very disappointing that these scanners have this issue. Had I known, I would have went with the Uniden from the beginning.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are using the national database, your scanner may be scanning a number of sites out of range. You should be monitoring only the Troop G Simulcast site in Fairfield Co. The frequencies for that site are 771.78125 and 774.20625. Is it the state police that you are looking to monitor? I see that Greenwich has its own Motorola Type II trunking system.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am only trying to monitor the CSERN system, specifically MTAPD and CTSP. Greenwich PD is encrypted so I care little for that system. I am using the RR national database and it loaded every site listed in RR into my scanner. If there is even a chance that locking out the other sites would help I am certainly willing to try.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Locking out the other sites would certainly help. You want only the Troop G Simulcast Fairfield Co site. You can still monitor Greenwich Fire if you are interested in that.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
I monitor the Stamford system also, but unfortunately Stamford PD is also encrypted. I won't invest any more money in a scanner as I am quite positive within a year or two almost all law enforcement will be encrypted.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
after you reduce the number of sites you have programmed, start with the dwell at 2, adjust thresholds as needed along with DSP, ADC and DAC. Location of your scanner also plays a part with the portable antennas, as little as 1 inch of movement can sometime make the difference.YMMV

Google simulcast distortion for more ideas. but do not be surprised if you can't dial it in as these scanners do not have hardware in them to properly decode simulcast systems.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
after you reduce the number of sites you have programmed, start with the dwell at 2, adjust thresholds as needed along with DSP, ADC and DAC. Location of your scanner also plays a part with the portable antennas, as little as 1 inch of movement can sometime make the difference.YMMV

Google simulcast distortion for more ideas. but do not be surprised if you can't dial it in as these scanners do not have hardware in them to properly decode simulcast systems.
Thanks for the response - I find it inexcusable that only two scanners on the market are currently able to properly decode P25 simulcast systems (Uniden SDS100 and SDS200.) I have a job issued APX 7000 that I use while on duty which obviously works great, but unfortunately the state police are not programmed into our radios, hence the need for the scanner. Could you explain a bit more on the thresholds for DSP, ADC and DAC? I have seen those settings, but I am not sure exactly what they should be set to - same goes for dwell.

I have been following the CSERN forums and it appears the RR database may not be working well for most scanners - apparently even some of the SDS100s are having trouble. Maybe a bad database is the cause of my problems.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the response - I find it inexcusable that only two scanners on the market are currently able to properly decode P25 simulcast systems (Uniden SDS100 and SDS200.) I have a job issued APX 7000 that I use while on duty which obviously works great, but unfortunately the state police are not programmed into our radios, hence the need for the scanner. Could you explain a bit more on the thresholds for DSP, ADC and DAC? I have seen those settings, but I am not sure exactly what they should be set to - same goes for dwell.

I have been following the CSERN forums and it appears the RR database may not be working well for most scanners - apparently even some of the SDS100s are having trouble. Maybe a bad database is the cause of my problems.
go to this facebook groups file section Whistler USA TRX-1 & TRX-2 Digital Scanner Radio , that is where you will find a wealth of wisdom.
You will have to figure out what settings for each works best for your location.

Simulcast system decoding with a whistler TRX and its cousins can test your sanity and willingness to spend many hours in an attempt to get it to work and you will either succeed or fail, many just give up. YMMV

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
go to this facebook groups file section Whistler USA TRX-1 & TRX-2 Digital Scanner Radio , that is where you will find a wealth of wisdom.
You will have to figure out what settings for each works best for your location.

Simulcast system decoding with a whistler TRX and its cousins can test your sanity and willingness to spend many hours in an attempt to get it to work and you will either succeed or fail, many just give up. YMMV
Interesting, thank you for the link. Locking out all sites except the Troop G Fairfield Simulcast seems to have helped a bit while mobile. I was able to receive the majority of transmissions clearly last night. I may have to get a Yagi antenna for my apartment as I have little to no reception of the system here. My APX 7000 has always shown a signal strength of zero bars while in here too, so it may not be isolated to the scanner.

Thank you all for your assistance - much appreciated.

You are not kidding when you say that I actually register on here to find a way to resolve the issue. I actually listed my ws-1080 on eBay yesterday and pretty much gave up. Pretty experienced with radio system as setup and do repairs. Then notice CC channel were not correct and forth site was missing. So spend a few hours redoing the database manually and now get pretty much 95% percent decode rate and no more S and T and dropping. So keeping it now as finally got it to work reliably and no more flashing back and forth from S to T just now getting a rapid to solid T.

No you don't need to adjust the ADC and DAC as that just for making it louder, has nothing to do with fixing simulcast issues. Adjust the site towers thresholds setting to 15 Low - 95 High and 58 slower to 74 faster rate on DSP, you will have to try slow and go up to see what works best. I find works best in my area as getting about 95% decode rate. A good directional YAGI antenna helps. I just using a omnidirectional center load Radio Shack whip and shockingly picking up stuff 30 miles away even indoors, but also manually programmed the sites CC and talk groups I wanted to receive and locked out the rest, but you have to spend some time on it, but was well worth it for me as pick up everything the sds100 can now plus some. Use the whistler mostly for analog system and Phase 2 Public works and DMR malls and stores around. While let the Uniden handle the Police and EMS and fire.

A good antenna as tried a bunch is the Watson WPN-97 Watson 'Nomad' 25-1500MHz without pre-amp, just antenna if in a apartment and limited, as can hang out window, or hang off a gutter, It works well as even pickup state right next to me as well. Just avoid the eBay scanner PVC tube antenna as all they are is a piece of wire not even cut to correct length as they don't use antenna network analyzer to tune and stuff in a PVC tube to scam people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.