WS1088: WS1088 Las Vegas, Need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

cop704

Undoubtedly you guys are sick and tired of guys like me who have not kept up with the latest technology asking stupid questions. But, here goes...

I'm a former cop who used to love listening to the police scanner. I've been a licensed Private Investigator for 40 years. So listening to the police scanner was just something I also enjoyed, especially since my office is located right in the biggest crime ridden district in Las Vegas.

Then years ago, as many of you know, Las Vegas Metro tried to switch to what they called "Desert Sky". After spending millions I guess this encrypted frequency system was a nightmare with dropped calls and dead zones, and even an allegation that it caused the death of an officer. No scanner was able to pick up these channels.

So apparently a couple years ago they switched to a P25 Phase II trunked system; whatever the hell that means. Bottom line is apparently there are scanners that can now, once again, pick up Las Vegas Metro Police.

I think the Whistler WS1088 is one of those compatible scanners. So my questions are:

Will the Whistler WS1088 indeed pick up Las Vegas Metro Dispatch now?

Is this thing easy to program, or does it come pre-programmed? (Probably wishful thinking)

I really appreciate any assistance/advise you can give me.

Thank you in advance for helping an old man out!

Doc

BCFlash

Yes and Yes but with **. The WS1088 will pickup the new Metro system which is a P25 system in the 771 mhz frequency range. But Metro encrypts some of their channels and you can't get those. It seems to vary somewhat as to what you hear day to day.

The radio is pre-programmed with a database but if you have access to a Windows PC you can update and customize the programming. Whistler uses software called EZ Scan that you download onto you computer from their website. Then you can update the frequency database for free, weekly if you want to but not really necessary, and set up the systems and channels you want to have in your scan lists. It sounds more difficult than it is and you can import by county or zip code to simplify the process and then lock out what you don't want to hear.

By the way you can also hear all the other local PD, FD and EMS agencies on the county's Southern Nevada shared system, also digital P25. NHP and state agencies are on the state's EDACS system which comes in well.

The Federal agencies are scattered around: Nellis AFB has a digital P25 system, Hoover Dam PD has a simple digital P25 system, NPS at Lake Mead has conventional, analog VHF frequencies.

Have fun!

cop704

Thank you so much for the information

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I recognize some of their transmissions are encrypted.

Not an issue. My office location is on E. Twain around Swenson. If you know that area you know what a problem area it is.

Once again, thank you very much.

Doc

cop704

OK So Now what

So I got the Whistler 1088. And I have put in my zip code, etc. etc. However, there is so much stuff it wants to load. I just want Las Vegas Metro maybe State Police. Anyone have a step by step?

Doc

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So I got the Whistler 1088. And I have put in my zip code, etc. etc. However, there is so much stuff it wants to load. I just want Las Vegas Metro maybe State Police. Anyone have a step by step?

Doc
See if this helps
Easier to Read Whistler WS1095/1098 Base/Mobile Scanner and Software Manual

Look on the left side list, more specifically at "Importing Objects" and "Using the Library Import Tab".

You can select the specific system and talkgroups hat you want rather than a blanket 'everything in range' via zip code/location entry.

2wayfreq

Hey Doc,
If I may suggest, search Youtube for any WS-1088 quick shortcut "How TOs" and tutorials. Also, there should be a local Las Vegas Scanner "User Group" that meets somewhere every weekday/end (Group members may be on here too). There may be a few Whistler or WS-1088 Gurus in the Scanner Group that can help you get set up! :)

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber

Doc

Use ezscan,Library import, select "perferred" method, then pick and choose exactly what you want from the list.

cop704

Thank you to everyone for your help

I called Whistler and they were very helpful in walking me through the process. I found out it is seriously much easier to do the programming o the computer, then download it into the scanner,

Once again you guys are top notch.

Doc Greg

lakeside121

Premium Subscriber
the WS1088 is a nice radio a friend has one i would get the TRX-2 NXDN DMR ready worth the extra money in my book i would buy both

Status
Not open for further replies.