WS1095 SD Card reformat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
I have a new WS1095 and I updated the firmware and all that good stuff, but while updating the library I got a SD card error. It told me to run checksum on the card. Not sure what to do now. This was done using a USB cable to the scanner. I have since pulled the SD card out and put it in my computer. I can see the files on the card but cannot copy any of them. I can't even open the software on the card because it says it is currupt. Where do I go now? Thanks

btlacer

I have reformatted the card using the sdcard.org reformat program. Then start ez scan program and select prepare sd card for use. It does the format thing and loads the database and stuff. Install the card in my scanner and I get the error code 5-02. What am I doing wrong?????

troymail

Silent Key
There are options in the low level formatting software that you might not want to use.

The easiest and most basic thing to do is either use the Windows error checking and/or formatting options for the SD directly and/or use the EZ Scan software option to Prep card (which start with calling Windows formatting). I believe you can right click on the drive and see the options under tools.

As far as card corruption, it can happen under various conditions - usually when power is applied to or removed from the radio without shutting down first. Additionally, when the card is mounted by your PC - either via the cable or inserted into a card reader slot on the PC - you must properly release it first or risk causing corruption.

Years ago, I routinely removed the card or cable without carefully releasing (unmounting) it from the PC file system. Eventually, that bit me hard. I eventually just replaced the card and got back up and running.

Even being careful like this, if you record audio (I record 100% 100% of the time) and/or write logs to the SD card, the card will eventually fail. I have a bag of spare SD cards ready for when this happens (i.e. I recommended you always have a spare card readily available).

btlacer

Well I went to walmart and bought a new sd card. When the old card was in my computer card reader is showed about 3.75 space used. After I did the format it's only has 5.5 mb no where near where it was but it still does not work. I think I'm missing the ezscan software on the card. I have downloaded ezscan, driver and cpu updates to my computer. So with this new card what do I need to do to be like factory settings again?

troymail

Silent Key
Mb? Do you mean Gb?

What brand and size card do you have? Some cards have been known to not work.

Unless it's certain to be severely damaged, I'd probably try to use the original card and use the EZ Scan software Prepare the card (it's in the same menu as "Copy configuration to/from" and "Copy Library to the SD card").

If that doesn't work, then try the same on the new card you bought.

btlacer

Ok just used quick format on the ezscan program. Open up my devices I see the card and it has 3.75 gb free of 3.75gb. I go back to the prepare sd card for use window and check (copy current configuration and library to card after format. It does its thing and transfers the info. I open up my devices again and the card has 3.66 gb free of 3.74gb. In the card I only see CDAT, DB AND LDB.

troymail

Silent Key
Ok just used quick format on the ezscan program. Open up my devices I see the card and it has 3.75 gb free of 3.75gb. I go back to the prepare sd card for use window and check (copy current configuration and library to card after format. It does its thing and transfers the info. I open up my devices again and the card has 3.66 gb free of 3.74gb. In the card I only see CDAT, DB AND LDB.

All sounds pretty good -- the only thing I might do differently (given the errors and problems you are having) would be to do a full (non-quick) format of the SD card.

But, before going there, have you tried booting the radio with your newly prepared card? Does it work?

TAbirdman

that is the basic folder just to make the scanner work - Did you check the 2 boxes for coping the configuration and library files to the SD card when you formatted it? If so, pop the card in the unit and give it a try.

btlacer

I have not opened the new sd card yet. This is still the old card. I did check the boxes to transfer the files after the format. Those are the only three files that copy over to the card.

btlacer

Ok I got it working. After talking with John from Whistler my scanner is back up and running. Thanks for everyone's help!

One more question, how do you guys update your scanlist? Can I take my sd card out of my scanner put it in my computer and set everything the way I want save it to the card and then install it in the scanner? I really want to avoid using the USB cable.

troymail

Silent Key
Ok I got it working. After talking with John from Whistler my scanner is back up and running. Thanks for everyone's help!

One more question, how do you guys update your scanlist? Can I take my sd card out of my scanner put it in my computer and set everything the way I want save it to the card and then install it in the scanner? I really want to avoid using the USB cable.

Curious - did John from Whistler provide any other tips/info that we haven't already covered? I'm always interested in learning more!

As for updates - for the most part, I typically put the card into the PC in either a slot or card reader. Usually, I have a bunch of recordings to pull and doing heavy copies like that are not something I have patience for over the cable. Sometimes even large CDAT configurations take a long time over the cable.

Either way - be sure to properly release the card before removing it!

kibler

Feed Provider

Hello btlacer.....Can you share the information that "John from Whistler" gave to you? I also have such problems with my SD cards! Thanks

btlacer

John from Whistler basically said to use the sd.org format tool to reformat the sd card. Then run the ezscan program. Use the prepare card for use and make sure you have all 3 boxes checked. Once finished there should only be 3 files in the card (CDAT, DB and LDB). John said those are the basic files the scanner needs to work. He advised if the scanner does not work then I should replace the card. He basically said everything you all said.

But now I updated everything, cpu, dsp and library but when I go to add a system from my city into my scanlist it shows no systems at all in my town or surrounding towns. What's up with that?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I'll second that it's much better to use a card reader when possible.

It looks like there is all sorts of digital radio in Henderson County. United States Digital P25 Frequency Search To find the control channel, program all of the high powered "FB" frequencies as analog NFM objects. Use browse objects to go through each until you hear a continuous digital buzz (motorboat sound). Then, in the Trunked Radio Systems tab, create a new system with that frequency as the only frequency listed in the site frequency window. Add a wildcard in the Talkground Details tab and see what's out there. I think you will feel more accomplished with this approach.

I'm not sure why you aren't seeing anything for your area, perhaps you could post a screenshot of what you are trying to do in EZ Scan.

btlacer

I'll second that it's much better to use a card reader when possible.

It looks like there is all sorts of digital radio in Henderson County. United States Digital P25 Frequency Search To find the control channel, program all of the high powered "FB" frequencies as analog NFM objects. Use browse objects to go through each until you hear a continuous digital buzz (motorboat sound). Then, in the Trunked Radio Systems tab, create a new system with that frequency as the only frequency listed in the site frequency window. Add a wildcard in the Talkground Details tab and see what's out there. I think you will feel more accomplished with this approach.

I'm not sure why you aren't seeing anything for your area, perhaps you could post a screenshot of what you are trying to do in EZ Scan.

I know our city is going to a Phase 2 700 mhz system. They have the frequencies posted but no control channel or talk groups yet. I took the sd card out of the scanner and updated via the card reader and now I have the systems. Guess I didn't do that earlier.

SCPD

QRT

Yes .. this is the way to do it as using USB sucks with these scanners. I never use USB with them .. a Card Reader is the answer, faster and just a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.