Ws1098 vs trx2

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

What are the differences between the ws1098 and the trx2 besides nxdn. As far as hardware or software etc. I was thinking of picking up a 1098 since they are on sale. I dont have any nxdn near me.

DJ11DLN

The TRX-2 has a larger flash memory and is reputed to have a tighter front end than the 1098, which makes it less susceptible to overload and intermod. And of course it decodes NXDN, which may not mean much to you right now, but that could possibly change in the future. Beyond that, AFAIK they are pretty much the same. Same form factor, and the programming software is going to be very similar.

I bought a 1098 a few weeks ago, as I'm going to have to start dealing with P.2 in a year or two and my old Pro-197 will be left in the dust. I'm pretty happy with it, but now I sort of regret that decision. If I had it to do over again, I'd just have gritted my teeth and got the TRX-2...turns out there's more NXDN being used around here than I suspected.

seth21w

The TRX-2 has a larger flash memory and is reputed to have a tighter front end than the 1098, which makes it less susceptible to overload and intermod. And of course it decodes NXDN, which may not mean much to you right now, but that could possibly change in the future. Beyond that, AFAIK they are pretty much the same. Same form factor, and the programming software is going to be very similar.

I bought a 1098 a few weeks ago, as I'm going to have to start dealing with P.2 in a year or two and my old Pro-197 will be left in the dust. I'm pretty happy with it, but now I sort of regret that decision. If I had it to do over again, I'd just have gritted my teeth and got the TRX-2...turns out there's more NXDN being used around here than I suspected.

I would be most interested in the reputed tighter front end can anyone confirm or deny this. Thanks for everyones replies so far.

SCPD

QRT
Just my 2 cents .. but I would not pay 10 cents for a 1095 or 1098. Junk.

Yesterday I pulled my 1095 from my vehicle as it was unusable in a mobile environment.

Until Whistler fixes their **** front end of their scanners, I will not be buying another. This is why several of my friends refuse to as well.

The Whistler scanners do have a better user interface than the Uniden models (other than the often disregarded Home Patrol models). But .. a scanner that just does not work .. is not very useful even if it is more user friendly.

Even the old PSR-500 is far better than the 2 scanners mentioned above.

I am hoping to be able to test the TRX-2 in a mobile environment relatively soon, so we can answer the above question.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I just received a TRX2 to replace my remote server WS1098 scanner for 800Mhz. I was HORRIFIED that when testing the lone 700Mhz Phase I LSM local system on the TRX2, that it sounded like it was garbled encrypted traffic. I swapped the WS1098 back in it's place, and the Phase I LSM traffic was crystal clear. Swapped the TRX2 back into it's place, and again horrified by broken garbled reception. I've tried various DSP and DAC settings, with no change...really bothering me because I thought the TRX2 was supposed to be an improvement. The flip side is that the TRX2 has better reception of a distant edge of range 3600 P25 800Mhz system...how disturbingly weird. :(

Just for kicks I tried my old 996XT...on the 700Mhz system it receives perfectly...ugly sounding voice, but P25 was decoded completely. The 996XT cannot receive anything on the distant 800Mhz 3600 system. My county is going Phase I and Phase II in a year or two, so this is really bad news for me.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I will have to wait until they activate some Phase II stuff on the new system in a few years, then buy a 996P2 and see how it stacks up. I've got a newsroom and news fleet to equip with new scanners, so it's worth it to buy some test rigs just to know for sure before jumping in head first. 536HP's are off the list because of the excessive audio delay. *crossing fingers for Whistler updates*

Paul

milcom_chaser

I would be most interested in the reputed tighter front end can anyone confirm or deny this. Thanks for everyones replies so far.

Yes, the front end components were changed out due to an end of life cycle issue.
The unintended consequence was an improvement in sensitivity.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I am indeed seeing increased sensitivity to my distant 3600 P25 system, compared to the WS1098. I don't believe that the sensitivity is causing my LSM issue, as GA and paperclip trick do not resolve it on the TRX2. The RSSI that the Whistler remote app are giving me for the TRX2 peak at 350, while same signals on the WS1098 peak at 400...so not sure how those are generated by the scanners.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Here is a comparison I just did, identical settings, same antenna...you can hear and see the TRX-2 on the TOP/LEFT audio channel cutting out and becoming garbled. The WS1098 has no issues...brand new TRX2, is it defective...cannot understand how the new scanner goes backwards in performance??????? RIGHT audio channel is BOTTOM WS1098. :(

https://youtu.be/sVHwuQgWI-U

seth21w

Just to update i went with the 1098 for 315 dollars and im using it more than my 536 due to the better audio quality. No front end problems but its not mobile and i live in the country.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just to update i went with the 1098 for 315 dollars and im using it more than my 536 due to the better audio quality. No front end problems but its not mobile and i live in the country.

If you decide to go mobile, that detachable front control head is great, especially in today's vehicles with no room for a whole scanner!

Papa-Bill

Currently looking at getting a WS1098, and wanted to see your views on it after owning it for a while.
I do not know anything about front end probs people are talking about, but I keep reading how bad the trx-2 is.
So any new input on your choice?
Was gonna consider a 996 but like everyone says the 1098 is easier to program.
Thanx!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I bought three WS1098's about two years ago. They all work great, even when monitoring Macomb County, Michigan's infamous 9-tower simulcast system! But just about every scanner works well at my home for some reason.

I've read a few post on RR that some owners of the TRX-2 feel their WS1098's work better.

DJ11DLN

16 months later I'm still pretty happy with my 1098. My Pro-197 still has better audio and occasionally catches stuff the 1098 misses but overall I'm satisfied. P.2 will be here one of these days and I've got several DMR objects on it,works well with those.

Ubbe

Here is a comparison I just did, identical settings, same antenna...

Did the system have a single site? If not the scanners could be at different sites. Check with the TRX Andriod suit, the windows server application will show you the actual frequency being monitored, as well as a recording will show you the site, if you have that enabled.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.