WSM-225 Airband Magnetic Whip Mobile Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
1625723853639.png
This antenna (WSM-225 Airband Magnetic Whip Mobile Antenna) showed up on Scanner Master recently. They advertise it as a dual-band (VHF/UHF) commercial/military aircraft antenna. My interest would be using it indoors/portable for an SDR, not mobile. I want to make sure it's not just a repurposed 2m/70cm Ham antenna. Any feedback good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks like a 1/4 wave air band VHF antenna, which would work as a 3/4 wave on UHF.

It shows 28 inches in length, which, if counting the base, makes it 1/4 wave around the bottom of the VHF air band. If it was a repurposed/marketed ham antenna, it would be more like 19".

The price is absolutely insane. $65.00 for a mag mount whip is stupid expensive. You could get an NMO mag mount and a VHF whip for less.

A higher quality antenna for $22.95: https://www.theantennafarm.com/cata...fo&cPath=191_192_195_457_207&products_id=9267
And a higher quality mag mount $29.95: https://www.theantennafarm.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=264_265_280&products_id=7512

That's $13.00 savings and you get better stuff.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I have one of those and I can assure you I never paid near that price for it new. I believe that is a Waters & Stanton antenna (A big ham store in the UK) and I ordered mine from there years ago:WSM-225-SMA Airband Scanning Mobile Whip Its an "ok" performer especially indoors as its a bit lightweight for mobile work. Its about half the price in pounds £23.95 which I believe is about $33.00 without shipping and I am sure they ship to the US. If you have the room indoors, say an attic or similar, I would go for a discone and install it in the attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.