WSP 700 meg trunk system

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
I put in the 700meg trunk system and have been listening to it sofar all I have heard is Seattle area traffic nothing in Snohomish County,
Is Seattle the only one using it or is there any other agencies using 700 megs? this is the 1st time I put this system into my scanner

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
before I moved out of the area, I found that Seattle was the only WSP district using the 700 meg system. All others were using P- 25 analog on the old frequencies listed in the database. You will want to program the VHF frequency(s) for Sno county (or other countys), and be sure to set the system type as P- 25 conventional.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
In Seattle and on the eastside and surrounding area (S Sno), I hear WSP traffic on both JIWN (VHF) and on the WSP 700 - yes both are P25.
And, not just D2 (Seattle).
If I get a better line of sight, I hear even D1 traffic - don't remember on which site/system.

Last edited:

code3kid

Are there plans to expand this system to other parts of the state? (The 700 MHz P2 WSP System, not JIWN VHF)

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
and look out for a sys ID change soon....

As a Washington resident myself, this intrigues me. I'm in District 6 which is the only one not yet fully digital from what I understand. But as one that moves around the state quite a bit, I've always found the State Patrol setup confusing, you've got conventional analog, conventional digital, their own P25 Phase 2 and JIWN P25 Phase 1, whew! I would love to know more information if anybody has some, and if it will all soon be standardized.

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
It really shouldn't. WA loves to spend taxpayer money on projects like this...
Well, gonna pay taxes either way, its just coming out of one budget or another so at least its in something I have a hobby in. And I prefer digital traffic as opposed to analog where I live so whats wrong with them updating and standardizing? I've read some annual reports found through some google searches that wsdot is also switching to P25 Phase 2 so I'm guessing they'll share the same system, which is another plus because right now its LTR which I understand most scanners don't pickup? So win win in my book.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I have a related question.
Who has a map, or info on the various patrol sectors within District 2?
South, north, metro, etc.
Which dispatch covers where...?

jets1961

I don't live in WA or even the USA for that matter, but judging by post 6 it seems like they are rolling out a statewide 700 MHz system no?

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
I don't live in WA or even the USA for that matter, but judging by post 6 it seems like they are rolling out a statewide 700 MHz system no?
They've had it for some years (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7971), my guess is they're expanding it.
Part of the state is using it, part is using Justice Integrated Wireless network P25 Phase 1 (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3509). My last post I mentioned the WSDOT also switching to P25 Phase 2 so I was assuming they would continue build out and standardize use it on it for both WSP and WSDOT instead of it being a hodge-podge. This link mentions the cutoff for WSDOT being November 25th, 2019, so hopefully everything will all be switched over by then.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Update: 5/12/19

https://waocio.secure.force.com/ProjectDetail?id=a060P00000mX3q3QAC

The LMRSUP team was notified of new FBI design requirements related to IWN talk groups and POP25 radio system functionality. Initial impacts of these FBI speciation's compromises critical functionality and impacts the quality of coverage; both of which are unacceptable to project and agency leadership. Key project activities such as testing and the security design review are on hold while the project conducts an analysis to determine the full impact of the FBI requirements on the current design, and what options are available to mitigate the risk to functionality and coverage. Scope, schedule, and budget are at risk until the full impact to design is understood. (A Pearson)

code3kid

Convert WSP P25 radio systems from Zone 2 of the shared Federal Integrated Wireless Network (IWN) trunked radio system to a standalone P25 trunked radio system and Install a new radio manager software.
• The Radio Manager central upgrade effort had significant design changes introduced in April. These issues compromise scope and schedule because, as presented by FBI, result in significant degradation of talk group functionality in the statewide system; this is untenable for WSP and the statewide radio system.
• The Radio Manager code plug is interwoven with the Radio Manager software. The regression testing in March and April is substantially completed but there may be additional changes based on the results of the talk group issue.
• A second significant issue is the new FBI restriction disallowing Over the Air Programming (OTAP) as mechanism for remote upgrades. The project team is evaluating impact and possible workarounds.
• The FBI and Motorola have revealed that alias information (badge numbers) will not be transmitted across the ISSI interconnect between the systems. This restriction of the technology/policy by the FBI will add an additional layer of complexity to the communications management processes used to identify and communicate with troopers.
• WSP has been using the Consolettes as a functionality bridge where IWN is not directly available. In April, FBI announced their requirement to approve all consolettes and their hesitation to allow them as a long-term solution.
Move the system core from WSP’s Union Gap location to the State Quincy data center
The Hardware and cabling is in place. In May - June is the actual plugging in, powering on, and the start of testing.
Upgrade the voice recording system
This upgrade is on hold pending the project replanning efforts.

This was very informative, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.