WSP Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

starmotionracing

Premium Subscriber
Wsp will be testing some Chargers and Magnum's soon I think they have 7 Chargers and 7 Magnum's they are all v6's. The Charger's are for patrol and the magnum's are for the reconstruction officers. And they do look sharp.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Try these links for additional:

http://www.njlawman.com/Feature Pieces/Dodge magnum.htm

http://www.dodgeboy.net/news/charger_police/

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom/0-5-470118-1-480962-1-0-0-0-0-0-36-479389-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html

250 HP from their 3.5L V6 is adequate... the 5.6 L 340 hp 'hemi' might be cost prohibitive for fuel consumption. Our neighbor has a 2006 Hemi Charger and she only gets 16 in town and 22 on the road with a light foot on the gas pedal. The V6 (LE) is rumored to get 21 in town and 26 on the road...

If you or Stateboy hear any additional - please let us know.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Here is the first one, marked and equiped...sorry for the crappy background, but I didn't take the pic:

WSPCharger.jpg

cschmit

Man they look sweet!! I still would rather see them on the side of the road then behind me with the lights on LOL

cschmit

RevGary said:
Reminds me of the AMC Javelin ADPS Cruisers we had in Alabama way back when... about the same size, except that the Javelin's had a 401 CI mill @ 375 HP... and would do a 3 block long burnout...

http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/copcar/alabama1.htm

AMC made some nice fast cars. My dad had a AMC Gremlin X with the 304 in it and some work done to the engine and exhaust. I can remember being a little kid and my father pushing that peddle down hard and man it would take off like a bat out of hell.. LOL.

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Chargers

I noticed that WI Dells PD has a few classic black/white Chargers. Maybe it's just me but I thought they looked sort of ugly and boxy. Then again maybe it's just because it's something some what new.

There are a few places I've noticed with Intrepids as squads also. I'm not sure if I care for that or not either.

I think it's just that you get so used to Crown Vics more than anything....

I never really remembered seeing many Impalas either. There were a few for a while and then it seemed that everyone went back to Fords.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
If the local situation near Green Bay is any indication: The FRONT WHEEL DRIVE cruisers that were 'tried' had so many front end and drive line maintenance headaches that their budget monies were depleted only half way through the fiscal year. A police administrator that goes before the City Council to ask for more maintenance money for cars that do not hold up to fleet service demands is not met with open arms. They scrapped the few Impalas and Intrepids that had been tried and stayed with the Crown Vic's. They also found that when a P.I.T. is tried with the front wheel drive cars, the front axle half shafts or constant velocity joints would break 50% of the time because of extreme lateral loading, putting the vehicle out of service for any blocking or continuation if the P.I.T. was unsuccessful. NOT GOOD!

Since the Charger is rear wheel drive, it may possibly do a better job in that particular respect, but keep in mind - the CV's are built to fleet standards as part of the design. The Charger, as well as the older Impala and Intrepid vehicles had package add-on's which converted civilian autos into law enforcement vehicles. When a civilian purchases a civilian Crown Vic, most of the fleet construction and equipment is in the car to start with. I drive a civilian CV LX and even the L.E. wiring harness is in place in this civilian CV. The alternator has internal noise supression whereas the Chrysler alternators will usually cause 'whine' in the radio equipment unless external supression is added. Hope that the Chargers work out, but I have my doubts that they will be accepted well by the officers... there isn't much room after the equipment is installed and very small rear seating areas after the cage is installed.

GTO_04

cpd38 said:
I noticed that WI Dells PD has a few classic black/white Chargers. Maybe it's just me but I thought they looked sort of ugly and boxy. Then again maybe it's just because it's something some what new.

There are a few places I've noticed with Intrepids as squads also. I'm not sure if I care for that or not either.

I think it's just that you get so used to Crown Vics more than anything....

I never really remembered seeing many Impalas either. There were a few for a while and then it seemed that everyone went back to Fords.

The paint job has a lot to do with it. I'm not a big Charger fan as far as looks, but the WSP and the MSP Chargers look good with the dark blue and MSP blue paint jobs. I would have preferred a 300C police package LOL! The CV looks good as a cop car, it just needs a real engine, like the Caprice used to have.

GTO_04

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Squads

Not to stir things up...

But it seems like with our department we constantly have a squad in the shop for repairs. New cars or ones with a few miles on it.

I realize that some cars take a beating. Some major things have blown up in a short time (transmissions,etc). I remember a while back have some cars that were pretty much brand new having major issues almost immediately. A lot were getting deadlined. I know that some of that has to do with people just beating on cars. Obviously that takes a major toll on cars no matter if police package or a Yugo.

One time a while back I had a coworker say that squads should have a hour meter on them like a tractor does since they spend so much time running. I kind of laughed it off at the time but you know...maybe it makes some sense. Some squads are basically running 24/7. If they are not driving on the road they are sitting somewhere idiling. That's pretty hard on a car.

I've heard that departments that issue take home cars have better luck with them. First of all, it's only one person using the car. You don't have some guy that likes to beat his cars while another guy takes care of them. You also probably know better if the car isn't running or performing the way that it normally does and therefore maintain it quicker if there is an issue. The cars are probably only running for the 8 or 10 hour shift and not being used 24 hours a day. Plus you're putting a lot less miles on them when they are not being used 24/7.

Enough rambling....

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
It's not rambling...

Our agency issues cars to all troopers, MCE inspectors, mid-management (Sgt/Lt/Cpt) and most upper management. As such, each car is only driven by one person for 95%+ of it's service life. Until about 18 months ago, the average service life for our cars was 95-105k miles. However, after management realized that this was costing more money to repair the high mile cars than it was worth in new cars, the policy is now ~80k miles. Take home cars are cheaper to maintain, but initial cost is more since everyone gets a car versus a fleet of "X" cars for everyone.

As for hours, the new 2006 CV police impersonator and DCX cars have hour meters in them for the exact reason mentioned by CPD. Idle time is very hard on engines, esp. when it's hot, the air is on and the coolant is hotter than normal. Oil changes really need to be based on hours of idle and miles combined.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
stateboy said:
As for hours, the new 2006 CV police impersonator and DCX cars have hour meters in them for the exact reason mentioned by CPD.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There appears to be an antenna attached to the right front fender. If it is, what might it be for? The car looks pretty good, but that antenna installation is, ah, well you know.

I like the "You may know where you are and God may know where you are. . .". Its a good one for our accountability officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.