WSP Special Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Last week there appeared to have been a special detail in the Northwest Region. The detail involved WSP cars that numbered in the 200's, 300's, 400's, 600's and 700's. Also included were "N" Nora cars, as well as "Air 2" towards the end of the week. County units were also included

I believe this was a special detail related to drugs and the I-94 corridor. Several traffic stops were made with much more radio traffic than normal. I heard several 10-99 arrests made and several stops that involved the use of K9 units. The bulk of the activity was on the interstate - from Jackson to St. Croix counties.

Does anyone have any details on what was going on? Very interesting to listen to. I remember reading on the WI DOT website a piece regarding special details related to drug activities, with a possible detail in the NW Region to occur in 2006.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
You assumed correctly. It was a criminal interdiction detail, focusing on illegal controlled substances and the subsequent criminals/felons that go with. We have them throughout the year, all over the state.

WSP moves troopers around who volunteer to take part in these and local PD's, SO's and various enforcement teams (local, state and federal) are involved as well as various members of the judicial branch of state and federal government.

Beyond that, the details are confidential except what is released to the press but I will say that top level WSP command staff has made interdiction a priority within WSP and has begun massing the required resources in support of that mission.

Last edited:

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Go WSP!

By the sounds of it, the detail in the NW Region this past week was successful and worth the effort.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Sure could use one of those on I-43 near the Manitowoc-Brown County line. The drug traffic coming north from Illinois and Indiana, according to my L.E. source, is really getting bad. What is the State's position of "profiling" for drug traffic interdiction these days? And please don't tell me that the "infamous" ACLU is on the side of the drug transporters regarding that...

OpSec

Database Admin
There really doesn't need to be profiling, since they are being pulled over for moving violations or equipment violations. You'd think if they had drugs/guns/warrants that they would drive the speed limit in legal cars, but they don't.

Fish in a barrel.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
well if they're dumb enough to traffic the stuff in the first place, they're probably dumb enough not to take precautions to not get caught.

OpSec

Database Admin
Here are the basic stat's from the detail referred to in this post...

Over 500 traffic contacts
Over 100 CMV contacts
Over 40 arrests

OpSec

Database Admin
GTO_04 said:
Is it legal to make traffic stops in WI with plainclothes officers driving unmarked cars?
GTO_04

Yes, provided the vehicle displays one red and one blue light source. I believe the statute says it must be visible from 500 feet in daylight...don't quote me.

If you see a car/truck/SUV with *only red* or *only blue* and they *try to pull you over*, call 911 and get a license plate and vehicle/driver description. However, please keep in mind there are a staggering amount of volunteer/paid-on-call Fire/Rescue departments in this state that allow members to run red/white lights in their personal cars. If you see them with lights/siren on, pull over and let them be on their way. I've actually gotten phone calls from people thinking there was a police impersonator trying to pull them over, when it was only a VFD member running Code 3 to the firehouse. One particular person refused to yield right of way and was talking to me and a county dispatcher on the phone. We could hear the VFD member's siren in the background as this "concerned citizen" was talking to us. Finally, a deputy was sent to the caller's house and a citation was issued for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.

Of course, if the hose whacker actually does try to pull you over, then revert back to calling 911 :)

A legit law enforcement officer should have a badge plainly visible and would display department credentials upon request, however I've heard horror stories on that one.

Milwaukee PD used to be a big violator when it came to emergency lights. Many times, you'd see a unmarked squad with nothing more than a siren and headlight flasher hauling a$$ and driving without any due regard. Finally within the last 12-18 months, they've installed dual head red/blue Whelen Talon LED's front and rear in addtition to highbeam flashers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.