WTC construction frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ion_op

Hi,

Is there a list of the frequencies the contruction crews are using to rebuild the WTC?

Tnx,

Mike

Chev_am

Try programming constuction frequencies from new york into your scanner. You're bound to get one of the companies working on rebuilding it.

maalox

Chev_am said:
Try programming constuction frequencies from new york into your scanner. You're bound to get one of the companies working on rebuilding it.
please what are the freqs . are they using motorola.

Chev_am

If you mean a Trunking Motorola system then I doubt it. Try looking on New York Scanning web pages. I got all my frequencies from NF2G.com. I'm not sure if the site has what you're looking for. Good Luck.

D

DaveNF2G

I don't have any NYC frequencies except a couple of the major trunked systems. I refer people to N2NOV.net for the City and Long Island.

maalox

i guess you have to be close to the site to hear any construction freqs.

CqDx

You do have to be close to the site, once the towers start going up (which I don't think will happen very soon) then you can hear them farther away.

I was in the area today and I noticed most crews carry Nextel, VERY few has walkies, but 451.800 is their Channel 1. I think they use several channels, I haven't been able to find the other ones (yet).

jaymatt1978

Sounds like someone with a radio that has Close Call or Signal Stalker has to go down there a sniff around a bit!! I haven't been down since before the towers fell.

nycirnwrkr

wtc freq's

you'll have to wait to see who id the job contractor is, also several sub contractors,along with state and city job inspectors. i work close to the hole from time to time and will post what i find out

cristisphoto

jaymatt1978 said:
Sounds like someone with a radio that has Close Call or Signal Stalker has to go down there a sniff around a bit!! I haven't been down since before the towers fell.

Just be careful
NYC is hairy
PLUs I believe the scanning laws prohibit you from having one at least outside your home
IE on foot in a vehicle, Bus train etc,etc, etc..
Only in NYC though
Blame Rudy
Not I
LOl
Crista

OH and two more things:
scan the Two way bands
AND go by there see what companies are on site
and us the FCC ULS and search for their licenses...

SCANdal

Silent Key
Who puts these ideas out there? ?

Crista,

Rudy could be blamed for a lot of things - but many of your beliefs about scanning in New York City are incorrect.

Here is a summary of the laws applicable when scanning within New York City:

NYC Administrative Code:

Section 10-102 makes it unlawful for someone to scan in a a car without a permit issued by the police commissioner.

Section 10-103 makes it unlawful to unscramble scrambled police broadcasts, unless you have a permit from the police commissioner.

New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law:

Section 397 makes in unlawful to scan in a car car except for a very, very limited number of circumstances (i.e. permit holder, police/peace officer on duty).

New York State Penal Law:

Section 140.40 makes in unlawful to scan during "...the commission of robbery, burglary, larceny, gambling..." or narcotics offenses.

There may be Department of Consumer Affairs regulations that prohibit scanners in tow trucks (to limit call jumping), but I can not get my hands on them as of this writing.

These laws are on top of the standard collection of federal laws that ban, among other things, the monitoring of mobile and cordless telephone calls, pagers, microwave systems, and scrambled communications (But Sir, I have a permit from Ray Kelly that says I can decode these channels!)

Other threads on this board have mentioned that property owners (office buldings, malls, tourist sites)may have security measures in place that call for the seizure (or, at least, the questioning about) of scanning equipment found at (lobby) bag checks/security posts or by roving security officers.

Therefore the idea that "NYC is hairy," from a scanning perspective, is largely unfounded. I do it all the time. Of course, I may sound like a broken record to some here, but I'll say it again...descretion is highly recommrned when scanning outside the comforts of your own home (even when inside...depending on who you're listening to). Since you mentioned trains...I wouldn't want to be the one to draw attention to myself when trying to swipe my Metrocard (again and again) at a turnstile - with my scanner blasting Transit Police Division 1 radio traffic - with a cop watching for farebeaters waiting on the other side. Be lowkey. Use an earpiece. With the proliferation of iPods and their white earbuds... one wouldn't stand out at all.

SCANdal

Last edited:

cristisphoto

LOL I hsecond that ScanDal
Thank you
I was under the impression that I could face confiscation in NYC
Guess not
It oine reason I like to bring up my beliefs etc so that they can either be corectly shot down
OR backed in this case though shot DOOOOOWWWN LOL
Anywyas
Warmest regrads to you and yours
Crista

I second that! Scanning in and around NYC is very exciting IF you can be discrete and not be all buffed out about it. When I'm on vacation and visiting back east, I am always tuned in - but I follow three rules (edit - whoops, it's 4, not 3) and have never had any trouble pre or post 9/11:

1 - NEVER put any 'official' frequency into anything that transmits (!!!) even if it's receive-only (if you do, you are just about asking for it to be taken away and you detained in a precinct hold-over cell until they figure it out - and chances are that you won't get it back: "Radio? What radio? Now go ahead, get lost!"),
2 - wear an earpiece so it looks like you're listening to the Mets game, not SOD,
3 - don't wear clothing that identifies you as a potential nut or something that you are not (i.e., 'radio rescue club' jacket or PD-like apparel), and
4 - don't go to any parties you're not invited to (don't buff the call and gawk or get in the way - if anything, use the info as a 'where NOT to be' guide).

SCANdal said:
Therefore the idea that "NYC is hairy," from a scanning perspective, is largely unfounded. I do it all the time. Of course, I may sound like a broken record to some here, but I'll say it again...descretion is highly recommrned when scanning outside the comforts of your own home (even when inside...depending on who you're listening to). Since you mentioned trains...I wouldn't want to be the one to draw attention to myself when trying to swipe my Metrocard (again and again) at a turnstile - with my scanner blasting Transit Police Division 1 radio traffic - with a cop watching for farebeaters waiting on the other side. Be lowkey. Use an earpiece. With the proliferation of iPods and their white earbuds... one wouldn't stand out at all.

SCANdal

Last edited:

SCANdal

Silent Key
I feel like a jail-house attorney...

902 said:
4 - don't go to any parties you're not invited to (don't buff the call and gawk or get in the way - if anything, use the info as a 'where NOT to be' guide).

You're 100% correct that the knowledge that can be gleaned from a scanner, especially when driving/commuting, can be very helpful to avoid trouble (while remembering that scanning while mobile is still illegal in NYS). I've avoided getting stuck in delays many atime because I caught a dispatch for a collission up ahead and had the chance to self-detour well before coming upon it. But, that being said...

If you do opt to use your scanner as a tool to seek out locations to buff (which I've been known to do...take in nearby working fires, police crime scenes, unusual wrecks [pin jobs, rollovers], etc.), then by all means RESPECT the fire or police lines established; don't go under (or over) any yellow tape or barricades. If you get there soon enough and the officers/firefighters have yet to string up any "Police (or Fire) Line - Do Not Cross" tape (or whatever other method they have available to use - I've seen rolls of orange Con Edison tape hijacked and strung across street corner garbage cans to set up crime scenes), use some common sense and keep your distance...across the street, on an opposite corner, where ever, I don't care - but especially NOT between the equipment (fire apparatus, ambulance, police car - whatever) and the scene. A wise buff would not want to be standing by a door of a building an active perp search is going in or near a window of a building that's on fire. One can say that the phrase KEEP BACK 200 FEET doesn't just apply to cars...

Since the thread has taken a bit of a legal turn...if you opt not to to heed the advice offered above, here are the legal ramifications (in other words: here's how the scanner itself could steer you to trouble):

New York State Penal Law's Title L:

Summaries of Article 195 - Offenses Against Public Administration - offers up an array of misdemeanor and felony level crimes...

Section 195.05 Obstructing governmental administration applies when "A person... obstructs, impairs...a public servant from performing an official function...by means of...interference..."

Section 195.15 Obstructing firefighting operations applies when "A person...intentionally...obstucts the efforts of any...firemen..."

Section 195.16 Obstructing emergency medical services applies when "A person...intentionally...obstructs the efforts of any...personnel...or unit...in the performance of their duties..."

New York City Administrative Code's Chapter 2 - Unlawful Conduct:

Try to think back to the days when this law might have been written...

Section 15-207 Fire Lines: "During...fire or other emergenc[ies]...the officers of the police and fire departments shall remove, or cause to be removed and kept away from the vicinity of such fire or other emergency, all idle and suspicious persons {somebody with a scanner?}, and all persons unfit to be employed, or not actually and usefully employed, in aiding the extingushment and termination of such fire or other emergency or the preservation of property in the vicinity thereof. "

Section 15-206 ...Obstructing officials, officers and members of [fire] department...is basically like Penal Law section 195.15 above.

I haven't even touched on the potential charges from the City Admin Code and State Vehicle and Traffic Law that can be heaped on you if you get in the way with a car, but I think at this point that most intelligent readers get the hint that using what your scanner 'tells you' inappropriately could steer you toward trouble. If you're not intelligent and insist on heading toward a job you just heard put over the air and end up standing / parking / etc. where you shouldn't be...don't come crying to me with complaints that "the handcuffs were too tight." To paraphrase the RevErEnd Jesse Jackson... "Stay out the Way."

SCANdal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.