WTEN's Doppler Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Is there anyway that I can receive their Doppler Radar Image feed from something? I'm just wondering since I'm into receiveing weather satellite images

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You get weather satellite images from satellites as they pass over you - doppler radar imagery is not sent out in any fashion that can be received...

D

DaveNF2G

Try Storm Lab. It's available from the "Storm Alert Inc" website.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
DaveNF2G said:
Try Storm Lab.

No, it won't be found there. SL only gets National Weather Service radar, not TV.

http://grlevelx.com will stream some TV station live radars if they are newer radars and you have permission from the station.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The NWS makes all of their radar streams available for those with enough know how or money and sometimes both. To get the NWS radar images, you either need to pay for a T1 line to Washington DC or set yourself up a Satellite dish and associated computer hardware and servers for NOAAPORT, oh yeah not to mention the software and data layers to view it.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
studge - WTEN is a TV station. Their radar is not part of the NWS feed.

To get the NWS radar images, you simply run GRLevelX software (link above) and access their free servers. You definately don't need a T1 line, and while NOAAPORT is an option - most people get better data online.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
So weather radar feed is transmitted via T1 line not like microwave or radio signal?
I want fun, its too easy to go to a weather sites and look at sat images, i want to recieve them directly myself. I want find out how terrestrial radars transmit

rdale

Premium Subscriber
chrismoll said:
So weather radar feed is transmitted via T1 line not like microwave or radio signal?

Basically. It's a direct connection from the TV station to the radar site, usually T1 or ISDN or DSL. But not over the air.

look at sat images, i want to recieve them directly myself.

Satellite images come from space, those can be received (check the weather forum here.)

I want find out how terrestrial radars transmit

In ways you can't get.

n5ims

Here is how a weather radar works (from the NOAA web site) http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/radinfo/radinfo.html

If you directly received a weather radar signal,it would only be a very brief pulse of radio waves and wouldn't really tell you much. What is telling is the return echo from that signal from the transmitting site. This is then processed (using strength and other factors) to calculate what may be reflecting the signal. Simply receiving the signal (or even the reflection) isn't of much use. It's the comparison of the original signal and all reflections that's important.

What is used by the stations (and us viewers) is the results of this calculations. In many cases, what we see is what they see with the major differences is the time delay (most web sites only show snapshots of "live" radar images) and we can't generally change settings (elevation, range, etc.).

I think that this is the link for the WTEN radar --> http://www.wten.com/Global/story.asp?s=4859761

I hope that this helps.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
n5ims said:
If you directly received a weather radar signal,it would only be a very brief pulse of radio waves and wouldn't really tell you much.

In the past many stations put their doppler radar feed into the subcarrier of their TV signal, and if you had a special decoder you could display it live. Those are almost all Internet based now.

ind224

or DTV?

Here in Indy our CBS affiliate WISH has a digital (ATSC) radar only channel that is 24/7 radar no matter what. Sunny and 75? Radar!! They have a sep channel for a weather broadcast that includes forecasts and forecasters.

Back before 9/11 a ham told me he could get all kinds of sat feeds via C band and Ku when it first started. Kinda secure nowadays....

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Yes, a lot of stations are putting a dedicated live radar feed on DTV subchannels.

Status
Not open for further replies.