BCD436HP/BCD536HP: WTH is up with the SD card? Why does this radio suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTS3000

Yes, I am turning the 436HP off, and even watching the screen to make sure "Writing to SD Card, please wait" disappears from the screen. I wait another 5 seconds after the message just to be sure, before swapping batteries.

This was not a problem in January when I received the scanner. Only in the last month has this become an issue, which is getting worse as the days pass. Do I need to physically solder the SD card to the scanner? I sure hope not, but it's starting to look that way.

I'm beginning to think Uniden rushed these defective scanners to beat Whistler to the market. Had Uniden done some basic research, they would have realized they had 6 more months more to refine and perfect their "flagship" scanners before the first analog only Whistler hits the market.

The 436HP is a great scanner, but is so buggy and the SD card is going to be the biggest problem. There are many minor operating bugs, but not worth mentioning at this point in time as there are more serious issues Uniden needs to hash out first.

For those who haven't registered their x46HP scanners with Uniden, it's be in your best interest to register it ASAP.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Last 3 battery swaps, I get a corrupt card message on screen. Have to remove and reseat the SD card. I'm being super general removing and replacing the batteries, so it's nothing wrong I'm doing.

I just assume when I swap batteries, the SD card will permanently fail sooner, hopefully later.
Happened on my HP-1 from time to time.Bought a new SD card and have had no trouble at all.

Exivus

Same thing

This is not "pilot error" (actually pretty sad that gets tossed around just because one guy has a problem and the other doesn't).

I have the exact same problem as OP. I plug the USB cable in to the computer and it will inevitably corrupt the SD card with no other option but to format it (and even that is sketchy).

Perhaps we have defective units, but it *IS* an issue. It's almost like there isn't a solid consistent connection. Plugging it in causes the computer to hang whilst reading the drive. Nothing will recognize it. Unplugging the scanner in any way (even after safely ejecting/unmounting the drive) causes the SD card to become corrupt.

I've tried multiple SD cards, multiple USB cables and now even multiple computers. All with the same result.

mleary2001

Don't blame the customer or the computer. SD cards are not new technology. Plenty of other consumer electronics use them without failing as frequently as the BCD436HP.

mrkelso

Don't blame the customer or the computer. SD cards are not new technology. Plenty of other consumer electronics use them without failing as frequently as the BCD436HP.

Happen to me one time to many on both the 436 and 536. I am so glad i sold them back when i did. They will have to layer the next scanner they develop in 24K gold before i will even look at it. We've been had.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Using a Dropbox account for Sentinel works fine when using Windows7 and XP. I do it all the time without any issues and I've never had any problems with the sd card on my 436 or 536.

I use Google Drive instead of Dropbox, and the only time I have problems is if I manage to have both computers (I only use the apps on two machines) with updated data at the same time. Example, if I update my 436 on my laptop without having it connected to a network, and then open Sentinel on my desktop prior to having my laptop back on the network, the desktop writes its files to the Google Drive folder; then when the laptop comes back online, it writes to the folder too, and Drive freaks out and throws conflicts.

So the only concern is to make sure your changes get written to whatever cloud storage you're using, before you open Sentinel on another machine.

XTS3000

Had the dreaded card fail last summer. So I cleaned the card contacts and x36 SD contacts in the scanner with 99% rubbing alcohol and an optical cloth. Never had a problem since.

The SD cards Uniden is using are the bottom of the barrel for speed and memory. Could it be Uniden is using older cards that have a slight bit of tarnish on the SD card contacts?

Since I cleaned mine, the problem has not come back for 6 months and counting....

mg5555

Use SdFormatter

I do not use any of the format tools in the OS ( Win7, Win8 xp etc). I use SDFormatter for all my SD Card whether they are for cameras, smartphones, tablets or whatever. Found a lot less frustration using this app. Also formatting with this app I have recovered some cards that were "corrupted".
Just my two-cents (before taxes)

Link: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Status
Not open for further replies.