WV SIRN system

hfmj1965

Feed Provider
I am having issues with my scanners while scanning the WV SIRN in my area. I have entered the local talk groups in my area. And when they are connected to one tower I hear them perfectly. But anytime they connect to another tower in the area I dont recieve anything. Any ideas? Is there a setting Im missing that recognizes certain towers? TIA

tvengr

Well Known Member
Check Multi-Site on the system. If set to Roam, it will scan only the site with the best signal. If set to Stationary, it will scan every site whose control channel frequencies are in the frequency list (32 frequencies max).

atlong

Database Admin
If both scanners are being used in a stationary environment, like at home, program in only one site at at time in your surrounding area. Give it a day or so, monitor the reception, once you're satisfied with the results, remove that site's programming and try another and so on until you find which site(s) give you the best reception and go from there. If you're mobile, then I would apply what Tvengr mentioned above. Also, try different locations around the house, different antennas or an outside antenna with a solid length of cable: RG6 or better. Don't use RG58/59 for distances over 6 or so feet to the antenna. It's going to take some trial and error to get the results you want.

hfmj1965

Feed Provider
Check Multi-Site on the system. If set to Roam, it will scan only the site with the best signal. If set to Stationary, it will scan every site whose control channel frequencies are in the frequency list (32 frequencies max).
I have looked through the programming software and I dont see any settings for "roam" or "stationary". Im using PSR Edit 500. Any idea where I can find these settings? Where Im located I have 2 sites and a third coming online soon. Like I said I hear the one towers traffic with no problem. But not the other. And Im physically alot closer to the second.
Thanks
Rick

fredva

Feed Provider
Continue following the recommendations above. However, if you could identify the sites you are trying to receive, that may be helpful. Further north of you, there are sites and agencies known to be using the P25 Phase 2 digital format, which the 1040 and 1065 can't receive. We'd like to rule out that is the issue, if possible.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Continue following the recommendations above. However, if you could identify the sites you are trying to receive, that may be helpful. Further north of you, there are sites and agencies known to be using the P25 Phase 2 digital format, which the 1040 and 1065 can't receive. We'd like to rule out that is the issue, if possible.
In Marshall County, the majority of talkgroups are P25 Phase 2 which the WS1040 and WS1065 cannot decode. There is no site listed for Wetzel County in SIRN. The 4 talkgroups in Wetzel County are shown as P25 Phase 1 which the scanners are able to decode. It would be a lot of help to know which sites, counties and agencies the OP is trying to monitor. If the OP attaches the PSREdit500 programming file, I can check it for problems. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped folder.

Last edited: