WV Statewide Interoperable Radio Network (SIRN) - Digital scanner only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo_town_man

Premium Subscriber
Got a major question.

I have the BC396XT, which is a digital scanner, and it picks up the WV Statewide Interoperable Radio Network (SIRN).

I thought it was only trunked and not digital, so had someone in the office buy the BC346XT, which can pick up trunked but can't pick up digital. I figured it could also pick up (SIRN), however, when trying to load (SIRN) onto it, it won't load.

Looks like I gave this women some really bad advice. Can someone look at the 2 links below, and confirm for sure that only a digital scanner can pick up (SIRN).

I'll try to return it to amazon if its confirmed. Anyone who understand digital/trunk systems and can let me know for sure, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!

What is SIRN?
West Virginia Statewide Interoperability Radio Network (SIRN) Trunking System, Statewide, West Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

--danny

MFD4305

Digital Only

Hi Danny,
Looking at the RR URL you provided, I find - "System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive." So SIRN is an all-digital [APCO-25] system which requires a digital-capable scanner to monitor it.
Trunked systems can be analog, digital, or a combination of both. A digital-capable scanner such as your 396 can receive both, but an analog-only scanner cannot receive digital signals - but I guess that goes without saying....

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Got a major question.

I have the BC396XT, which is a digital scanner, and it picks up the WV Statewide Interoperable Radio Network (SIRN).

I thought it was only trunked and not digital, so had someone in the office buy the BC346XT, which can pick up trunked but can't pick up digital. I figured it could also pick up (SIRN), however, when trying to load (SIRN) onto it, it won't load.

Looks like I gave this women some really bad advice. Can someone look at the 2 links below, and confirm for sure that only a digital scanner can pick up (SIRN).

I'll try to return it to amazon if its confirmed. Anyone who understand digital/trunk systems and can let me know for sure, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!

What is SIRN?
West Virginia Statewide Interoperability Radio Network (SIRN) Trunking System, Statewide, West Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

--danny

Yep you need a digital scanner.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The above posts are correct and for additional information, if you read the "System Type:" you will note it says "Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)". That indicates not only can an analog only scanner not decode the voice, it cannot even follow the trunking.

Status
Not open for further replies.