WVDOH Link Extenders (or whatever you want to call them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I was bored last night and looked through the FCC records for bands commonly used for "link extenders" for WV agencies who are on lowband.

Typically these are 72-75 Mhz frequencies and 450-460 Mhz frequencies. The 70 Mhz frequencies aren't monitorable by all scanners... a lot of Uniden scanners have coverage on 70 Mhz, but typically the GREs and RSs do not.

These "link extenders" are similar to the UHF annd 70 Mhz extenders you see on the WVSP. They aren't "repeaters". You typically are not going to hear all traffic (mobiles and bases) on one frequency, alhough there are reports that the Berkeley extender is actually a repeater that repeats base/mobile traffic on one frequency.

Anyway, back on track... Typically the WVDOH has a site up on a hill with good coverage. It is capable of listening and transmitting on the 47 Mhz low-band DOH frequencies. When it hears traffic on the 47 Mhz frequencies it can retransmit that traffic on 70 Mhz or UFH back to the base using one of the two channels in the pair. The bases transmit back to the mountaintop location using the other half of the pair and then the mountaintop site retransmits the traffic from the base back out on the 47 Mhz frequencies.

So you could hear traffic on either side of the pair of frequencies, but you likely won't hear both sides of the conversation. It can be helpful for those listen to DOH if they program in the extender frequencies in their area, as they may be close enough to the "relay" site that they can hear the mobile activity being transmitted back to the bases even if they can't hear the mobiles directly on 47 Mhz.

I'm sure I didn't explain that very clearly.... of course most people would find no interest in this anyway.

If anybody is interested in the list of "relay" pairs culled from FCC records, you can find the listing in the RadioReference Wiki at the following link:

Department of Highways (WV) - The RadioReference Wiki

NOTE: None of these are confirmed to be in use except for those which are specifically listed in the WVDOH section of the RadioReference database. If you do hear traffic on any of these frequency pairs that you confirm is DOH activity, you might want to consider collecting the PL tones used and hten submit that information to the WVDOH section of the RadioReference DB for others to benefit from that knowledge.

Thanks

Mike

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
The 453.1500 DOH Link at Cottle is right above my house. It does relay both base and mobile traffic so just by entering that frequency you hear both sides from the entire District. I find that odd considering that it is a link frequency and not a repeater.

Chad

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The 453.1500 DOH Link at Cottle is right above my house. It does relay both base and mobile traffic so just by entering that frequency you hear both sides from the entire District. I find that odd considering that it is a link frequency and not a repeater.

Chad

Chad,

I was just going by FCC records... and of course, one can often count on FCC records to be inaccurate. FCC has them set as FX1/FX2 for relays.

If you guys listen to any of these and you are quite sure that they are acting as repeaters (i.e. you're always hearing both sides of the conversation no matter what), then we'll certainly change the database to reflect that.

Based upon what Moto and another person have submitted, the 453/458 and 453.9625/458.9625 pairs are repeater pairs.

I have no problem designating them as RM instead of F and modifying the names of them so they just say something like:

"WVDOH D4 UHF WVDOH District 4 Repeater - Harrison Co"

Do you guys have suggestions on how you think it should be presented? For instance, do you want them to reflect their locatin "Cottle Knob", do you want them to reflect the district they are in "District 9", do you want them to reflect the county they are in "Nicholas Co" ?

If you guys want to come to a consensus, we may go with whatever the bunch of you feel is the best way to present the data. In the meantime, you can look and see how the DB currently presents the info now that I've changed it.

Mike

Mike

Last edited:

MOTOROLANUT

label for database

I agree with ab8sn, I stand corrected, leave these posted as Fixed Relay just list the input/output freqs and PL's, Most DOH dump/snow plow vehicles still only have vhf low band capability in them. Although many smaller DOH vehicles driven by managers, inspectors like the jeep libertys, pickups and suburbans have VHF and UHF capability.

Last edited:

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
WVDOH Links

Chad,

I was just going by FCC records... and of course, one can often count on FCC records to be inaccurate. FCC has them set as FX1/FX2 for relays.

If you guys listen to any of these and you are quite sure that they are acting as repeaters (i.e. you're always hearing both sides of the conversation no matter what), then we'll certainly change the database to reflect that.

Based upon what Moto and another person have submitted, the 453/458 and 453.9625/458.9625 pairs are repeater pairs.

I have no problem designating them as RM instead of F and modifying the names of them so they just say something like:

"WVDOH D4 UHF WVDOH District 4 Repeater - Harrison Co"

Do you guys have suggestions on how you think it should be presented? For instance, do you want them to reflect their locatin "Cottle Knob", do you want them to reflect the district they are in "District 9", do you want them to reflect the county they are in "Nicholas Co" ?

If you guys want to come to a consensus, we may go with whatever the bunch of you feel is the best way to present the data. In the meantime, you can look and see how the DB currently presents the info now that I've changed it.

Mike

Mike

The Cottle Tower is repeating like a repeater but they are still on lowband transmitting and receiving. Also the vehicles and trucks down here have the lowband antennas attached and no UHF antenna so I'm sure that Cottle would be considered a fixed relay instead of a repeater. I would just leave the Cottle frequency as a Fixed Relay.

Chad

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The Cottle Tower is repeating like a repeater but they are still on lowband transmitting and receiving. Also the vehicles and trucks down here have the lowband antennas attached and no UHF antenna so I'm sure that Cottle would be considered a fixed relay instead of a repeater. I would just leave the Cottle frequency as a Fixed Relay.

Chad

Thanks Chad. I will adjust.

Mike

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is in database, Possibly District 8 frequency of 453.350 pl 123.0. Ive heard Randolph, Tucker, Pendleton, Pocahontas Co units on the freq.

You might want to see if you hear some or most traffic on the lowband freqs for your division at the same time you hear then on the UHF one.

I've noticed that about 98% of the time, you can hear everything on the "relay". I think the few times I've heard traffic on the laowband and not the UHF, the unit was not making it to the tower.

I also heard this morning a trooper asking Charles Town to contact a DoH supervisor about something. About 2 seconds later, the dispatcher was on the DoH lowband freq talking to the supervisor. So, I guess WVSP dispatcher have the ability to talk to DoH directly via their lowband radios. Makes since the WVSP lowband is 47MHz as well.

ScanWV

Premium Subscriber
You might want to see if you hear some or most traffic on the lowband freqs for your division at the same time you hear then on the UHF one.

I've noticed that about 98% of the time, you can hear everything on the "relay". I think the few times I've heard traffic on the laowband and not the UHF, the unit was not making it to the tower.

I also heard this morning a trooper asking Charles Town to contact a DoH supervisor about something. About 2 seconds later, the dispatcher was on the DoH lowband freq talking to the supervisor. So, I guess WVSP dispatcher have the ability to talk to DoH directly via their lowband radios. Makes since the WVSP lowband is 47MHz as well.

I can hear units nearby me on low band and on UHF at the same time.

MOTOROLANUT

Wv doh/dot

Here is what I have listed for WVDOH Low band work frequencies...Snow Plows/Salters

All of which are PL 71.9

If you guys/girls plug em in and find out which ones are active in your district.

And let mtindor know of course for the database!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.