WWV on 20 Mhz

SatHunter

I had the 20 mhz signal coming in very well Friday afternoon at 1900 gmt for the better part of an hour. Today I get nothing but noise at the same time just as if they are off the air. 15 mhz won't come in either and 10 mhz is barely there beneath a huge wall of noise.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
I had the 20 mhz signal coming in very well Friday afternoon at 1900 gmt for the better part of an hour. Today I get nothing but noise at the same time just as if they are off the air. 15 mhz won't come in either and 10 mhz is barely there beneath a huge wall of noise.

HF took a huge dump over the weekend. Stations that normally pop were buried in the mud.

Regards,

-Frank C.

SatHunter

HF took a huge dump over the weekend. Stations that normally pop were buried in the mud.

Regards,

-Frank C.
I'm glad you confirmed that Frank. I took my 70ft longwire down thinking I had a break somewhere not suspecting that it was the conditions. Meanwhile I took a walk down to a nearby cemetery free of all the electrical interface and had a few stations coming in very well with zero interference - WWV on 10 mhz, WWCR on 15825 khz and another strong station in the 17 mhz range on my Tecsun 330 with the built-in whip antenna. I guess I'll work on putting my antenna backup today 🙄

Last edited:

ind224

25 MHZ up and +5 coming up on a MACO 5/8 base CB antenna. They say experimental for schedule so I wonder if they wait for good prop?

Alain

These reports are really great, everyone! It wasn't that long ago that the Ft. Collins edifice was to be silenced...forever. Enough reviews and table pounding went on until the opposition was defeated! All of the permutations of WWV are extremely important to the ham radio operator. Keep doing the find work. It pays off in spades.

MiCon

Mike
Here in soCal at 21:30 local, getting it on 20MHz but not 25.
FWIW, so far this year I've logged WWV on 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25MHZ I've logged WWVH on 2.5, 5, 10, and 15MHz.

<>< Mike
Using a 20 year old Radio Shack DX-440 portable with a Radio Shack tri-band antenna (VHF low, high, and UHF elements) on the roof.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
23:57 (6:57 UTC) 25 MHz is weak and fading, but 20 MHz okay here in central California. To the point of the post, 25 MHz is not always readable here. I'm using an Off Center Fed inverted V config favoring N/S.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I'm posting this 27 mins after you... Getting dark out here. Sun is setting. Can just hear the beeps and ticks in the noise. But it's there.

spanky15805

I hope the folks who run WWV/WWVH read this forum and keep 25 meg on the air for this solar cycle. It's mighty handy!

mikepdx

I hope the folks who run WWV/WWVH read this forum and keep 25 meg on the air for this solar cycle. It's mighty handy!

from the WWV NIST site:

Experimental 25 MHz WWV Broadcast
WWV has resumed broadcasting on 25 MHz on an experimental basis. The broadcast consists of the normal WWV signal heard on all other WWV frequencies, at the same level of accuracy.

Current 25 MHz Broadcast Specifications
Schedule: typically continuous. As an experimental broadcast, the 25 MHz signal may be interrupted or suspended without notice.

Radiated Power: 2.5 kW

Antenna: half-wave vertical dipole. Coordinates: 40° 40' 50.5" N, 105° 02' 26.6" W

Listener comments and reception reports may be emailed to: wwv@nist.gov, or sent via postal mail to:

National Institute of Standards and Technology
Radio Station WWV
2000 E. County Rd. 58
Fort Collins, CO 80524

W8HDU

The 25 megahertz signal is lower than 10 megahertz, (which is expected), but still strong enough to be received and used as calibration point for frequency measurement at my QTH. Antenna used: 15 meter dipole.

Boombox

I haven't yet positively IDed, or even heard, the 25 Mhz WWV signal. 20 Mhz is iffy. Sometimes I get the carrier via my DX-390's BFO.

10 Mhz usually is WWVH over WWV. It's been that way for the past 5-6 years or so.

W8HDU

Propagation has been odd this year, and certainly yesterday's solar impact didn't help. I actually had to go outside and make sure the contacter for grounding was lifting when I turned on my equipment. 160-10 was abnormally quiet, and even BCB DX was "odd".

Boombox

It's up and down. MW has been basically the same here since 2017 except the X Band has slowly improved, and I noticed last year that the low band started acting more normal -- CBK 540 re-emerged after a long hiatus. But I wouldn't say that MW is really hot for DXing yet.

SW is only slightly better. I'm hearing more than I did 3-4 years ago but a lot of nights, afternoons or mornings it's dullsville. The stations that have gone off the air since 2017 obviously hasn't helped, but there still is a lot to hear, technically. It's just that you either need good prop that particular timeslot or a really, really great antenna to make up for it.

W8HDU

Agreed. Low band (30-54 MHz) has been dismal yet interesting at times. Dismal from the standpoint of more licensees leaving the spectrum, (except military), but interesting because some of the "skip" has been really odd. Example: what is thought to be maritime traffic on 30.8400 from Ste St Marie MI making it down to my QTH in Lima OH. (Distance 397.73 mi or 640.09 km).

Some of the biggest "pests" which seem to come in at night, no longer do. 1000 in Chicago, 750 Atlanta, 660 in NYC were all strong signals 20 years ago. Now they are down in the noise. I can't rationalize why.