WWV on 25 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

autovon

Ø
WWV is testing on 25 MHz. From the website: NIST Radio Station WWV

NOTICE: Experimental 25 MHz WWV Broadcast

As of Friday, April 4, 2014 WWV has resumed broadcasting on 25 MHz on a limited, experimental basis. The broadcast consists of the normal WWV signal heard on all other WWV frequencies, at the same level of accuracy.
Current 25 MHz Broadcast Specifications (subject to change):

Schedule: variable; as an experimental broadcast, the 25 MHz signal is not continuous. It will typically be on the air from approximately 1500 – 2100 UTC Mondays through Fridays, but may operate outside these hours as well. The broadcast may be interrupted or suspended without notice.

Radiated Power: varies; no more than 2500 W

Antenna: broadband monopole, coordinates: 40 deg. 40' 50.8"N, 105 deg. 02' 32.6" W

Listener comments and reception reports may be emailed to: wwv@nist.gov, or sent via postal mail to:
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Radio Station WWV
2000 E. County Rd. 58
Fort Collins, CO 80524

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Cool, thanks for the thread. I received a nice QSL card from NIST about 6 months ago. So, definitely worth sending in a reception report.

2l92s28.jpg

2d6o4fa.jpg

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The pictures look right side up on my cellphone but they don't look right on my laptop. Apologies ahead of time if you have to **** your head to the side, lol..

tdevine78

25 MHz was coming in great yesterday afternoon in central Maryland holding S-7 on my Sony ICF-2010 on a amplified loop; maybe just a smidge weaker then 20 and 15 which were S-9 over.

KB9IN

I picked up WWV on 25 MHz on Saturday 12 April & Sunday 13 April with a weak signal but it was fairly early in the day & I didn't try it later. 15 MHz wasn't coming in real strong, either. Nothing now at 1528Z not that I expected it to.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

FWIW STD has can give a reasonable idea where the current MUF might be: http://solar.spacew.com/www/realtime.php. Just trace the lines. HTH.

KB9IN

Pretty decent reception of 25MHz yesterday with 20MHz coming in as strong as I've heard it lately. I found that both my watch & radio were one second fast. Can't find quality products these days, lol.

Haley

Caught them yesterday afternoon, been trying for a while. On a DX398 very strong signal. And the best on the Kenwood Thf6a. And even my bc125at with rch77ca antenna. Thought is was cool catching it on a scanner-----that's the low end of this radio for those that don't know. Mike

Caught them yesterday afternoon, been trying for a while. On a DX398 very strong signal. And the best on the Kenwood Thf6a. And even my bc125at with rch77ca antenna. Thought is was cool catching it on a scanner-----that's the low end of this radio for those that don't know. Mike

I have a bc125 & love it, great little scanner! Just ordered a TH-F6A onli ne yesterday, looks like a great small receiver.

Haley

Highwayman1224, not sure what you like to listen too, but the Kenwood does a lot of things very well. I would highly recommend going through the manual, there are a lot of nice features. In my opinion it's one of the best written manuals out there. Also, depending on what you want to listen too , you might want to pick up more specific HT antennas. I use a Maldol telescoping one with mine, it's a good all around antenna. This radio last forever on a charge really impressed with it. I did order the alkaline battery case also for emergencies , but haven't needed it yet. Anyway, enjoy the new radio----I can't say enough about it. Mike

Highwayman1224, not sure what you like to listen too, but the Kenwood does a lot of things very well. I would highly recommend going through the manual, there are a lot of nice features. In my opinion it's one of the best written manuals out there. Also, depending on what you want to listen too , you might want to pick up more specific HT antennas. I use a Maldol telescoping one with mine, it's a good all around antenna. This radio last forever on a charge really impressed with it. I did order the alkaline battery case also for emergencies , but haven't needed it yet. Anyway, enjoy the new radio----I can't say enough about it. Mike
Thanks for the info Haley. I use a Diamond rch77ca for my bc125at and my pro-197, great antenna. As far as listening, I like to dabble in a little bit of everything, that's why I like the extensive receive range of the TH-F6A. To stay on topic, I'm receiving a decent signal on WWV right now in AZ at 2249 utc.

Last edited:

Haley

The last couple days I have been hearing 20 MHz and 25 MHz. Probably due to the humid weather we have been having. Normally , I can not receive 20. So it's been a good couple days listening for me. Mike

ridgescan

Getting them too here @ 1542utc-and tried it on the scanner-getting it on that too. I never would have thought to try it on the bc785d till you mentioned it cause I plain forgot it went down that far:)

Haley

My wife probably thought I was losing it, standing in the middle of the yard. I had the Kenwood in one hand , and the Uniden in the other , as I yelled across the yard that I was getting both frequencies. As excited as I was, all I got from her was a"that's nice dear". She calls it that " clock channel". Mike

Haley

No kidding.......LOL She thinks it's funny when I show her how my Casio G shock watches are all synced up to WWV. I SWEAR I am not a total geek.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I happened to catch WWV on 25 MHz today here in central California. I usually hear WWVH in there as well on one, or several of the frequencies at the same time with WWVH becoming the dominant signal sometimes.

25 Mhz - 3/5 WWV
20 Mhz - 5/7 WWV
15 Mhz - 4/7 WWV & WWVH
10 Mhz - 5/9+ WWV

autovon

Ø
Programmed 25 MHz in the scanner and hearing it now. Caught me by surprise when I heard WWV coming out of the bearcat.

Status
Not open for further replies.