• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

wx signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

I just measured my 980 at about .1uv sensitivity on 162.55MHz, which is very good. It breaks its internally set squelch around .15uv and will go down to about .1uv before it squelches again, so its hard to pinpoint the exact sensitivity but its more sensitive than most VHF receivers.
prcguy

Thank you.

So is it likely the bearcat or something about the install?

Guys, should I go back to silke ?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are a couple of common issues that can cause weak receive, and they've been covered above, but here's a recap:

1. Antenna - antennas tuned for a different band can provide poor reception. Your CB antenna is tuned for 27MHz, so it's not going to perform well. However, antennas can work well on multiple bands, so all is not lost. Your CB antenna is primarily resonate at 27MHz, although it may work well on others. The longer whip of the CB antenna should work well for VHF, however the loading coil in the base can create an issue.

2. Receiver sensitivity. PRC covered it well above. Sounds like the WX receiver in his radio is working very well (very sensitive), however keep in mind that as the CB radios go down the assembly line, it's up to a human to adjust these receivers to work optimally. Could be yours didn't get quite the attention that PRC's did.

3. Coax/mount issues. Doesn't sound like it's an issue. I think you reported that your CB was working very well.

4. Nearby strong signals. A strong signal close by on a nearby frequency can desensitize the receiver. Probably not the issue, but it's a possibility.

5. Location. You mentioned a carport. If you have a structure between you and the transmitter site at McQueen Ridge (just south of Umunuhm - the one with the old USAF radar station still on top) that could be part of your issue.

I'd suggest trying it in a different location. Move out in the open where you have a clear view to the north.

Sounds like you did all the basic testing I'd have suggested. Could be your CB just doesn't have a sensitive WX receiver in it.
Since you have the Yaesu, it should work well on the weather band. Trying programming the WX frequencies in there. From where I am and at work, I can often get the one from San Francisco. It's weak and scratchy, but it's there.

Delivers1234

There are a couple of common issues that can cause weak receive, and they've been covered above, but here's a recap:

1. Antenna - antennas tuned for a different band can provide poor reception. Your CB antenna is tuned for 27MHz, so it's not going to perform well. However, antennas can work well on multiple bands, so all is not lost. Your CB antenna is primarily resonate at 27MHz, although it may work well on others. The longer whip of the CB antenna should work well for VHF, however the loading coil in the base can create an issue.

2. Receiver sensitivity. PRC covered it well above. Sounds like the WX receiver in his radio is working very well (very sensitive), however keep in mind that as the CB radios go down the assembly line, it's up to a human to adjust these receivers to work optimally. Could be yours didn't get quite the attention that PRC's did.

3. Coax/mount issues. Doesn't sound like it's an issue. I think you reported that your CB was working very well.

4. Nearby strong signals. A strong signal close by on a nearby frequency can desensitize the receiver. Probably not the issue, but it's a possibility.

5. Location. You mentioned a carport. If you have a structure between you and the transmitter site at McQueen Ridge (just south of Umunuhm - the one with the old USAF radar station still on top) that could be part of your issue.

I'd suggest trying it in a different location. Move out in the open where you have a clear view to the north.

Sounds like you did all the basic testing I'd have suggested. Could be your CB just doesn't have a sensitive WX receiver in it.
Since you have the Yaesu, it should work well on the weather band. Trying programming the WX frequencies in there. From where I am and at work, I can often get the one from San Francisco. It's weak and scratchy, but it's there.

Ok I tried the cd antenna on the other coax on the equinox to the bearcat. No go.

I took out the bearcat upstairs to my 2nd floor apartment connected to my 2m/70 X30 antenna and I was able to hear 162.450 and162.550.

So let me know if u all agree but it's not the bearcat.

Could it be a poor electrical connection? On the equinox?

Delivers1234

Ok I tried the cd antenna on the other coax on the equinox to the bearcat. No go.

I took out the bearcat upstairs to my 2nd floor apartment connected to my 2m/70 X30 antenna and I was able to hear 162.450 and162.550.

So let me know if u all agree but it's not the bearcat.

Could it be a poor electrical connection? On the equinox?

So the reception is just not good on the bearcat unless I'm in a better position i.e. On the road.

Someone say "you're good to go"

prcguy

In my opinion the 980 and the Yaesu should have very similar sensitivity at 162MHz. You stated the Yaesu would hear weather channels on the vehicle CB antenna but the 980 would not.

If the weather reception on the Yaesu with the CB antenna was clear with no noise, or registered a few bars or more on the S meter, then I would say the 980 has a problem and if its under warranty take it back. For one radio to receive a signal well and another on the same antenna doesn't pick up anything, there is at least a 10dB difference and maybe 20dB or more in the sensitivity between the radios. That's not trivial and something is wrong.
prcguy

swen_out_west

If your Yaesu is receiving weather channels on the same antenna the 980 is not then something is wrong with the 980.
prcguy

It does sound like it's the radio. Connecting the 980 to a VHF antenna didn't necessarily eliminate the radio. As some have mentioned it might be a tuning issue. Has it ever worked since you got it?

I just bought a 980 along with a Wilson 1000 a month ago and being out in the middle of nowhere I sometimes turn on the Weather just to make sure my radio is still working, lol.

Delivers1234

It does sound like it's the radio. Connecting the 980 to a VHF antenna didn't necessarily eliminate the radio. As some have mentioned it might be a tuning issue. Has it ever worked since you got it?

I just bought a 980 along with a Wilson 1000 a month ago and being out in the middle of nowhere I sometimes turn on the Weather just to make sure my radio is still working, lol.

I'm flying to Texas and will send it back to uniden. CB have a 2 year warranty.

jhol111964

I just setup a 980 SSB with a K40/K30 NGP antenna. I'm having really poor weather reception. My handheld Cobra 38 WXST picks up several stations with a rubber ducky while the 980 barely picks up one, and only sometimes. If CB antennas are not appropriate, why would Uniden not put an onboard antenna for the weather bands? I'm at a loss that they'd go to the trouble of adding the WX receiver, advertise, and then hamstring the performance this way? BTW, the antenna tuned to 1.30 at the extremes, and reads 1.0 thru much of the mid bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.