WX4EMT Home QTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4EMT

Not much done on the console today. The weather was exquisite so I worked on the UHF Yagi for the DMR radio. TDMA does not work or play well when it has multipath issues so I raised the antenna to clear some obstructions. I got from -100 to -80 DB worth of improvement so I'd say it was a day well spent. More metal massage to come....

ANT.jpg

WX4EMT

Console looking slick, now if there are storms to chase and your off work!

I'm off tomorrow and some are suggesting target areas around Huntsville, AL and points south. Our current sounding looks pretty sedate but this one from Huntsville about noon tomorrow looks interesting. Dixie Alley Vortex (Southern Style) might be busy tomorrow. I'll look at STP and the Doswell matrix that I love so much about 0900 EDT and if it looks promising I'll head south and chase.

RAP.png

Don't shoot me Kelton I just haven't caught on to SHARPy yet....

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Not much done on the console today. The weather was exquisite so I worked on the UHF Yagi for the DMR radio. TDMA does not work or play well when it has multipath issues so I raised the antenna to clear some obstructions. I got from -100 to -80 DB worth of improvement so I'd say it was a day well spent. More metal massage to come....

ANT.jpg

What antenna do you have on top of the pole? A dual bander I presume. Model? And your opinion?

WX4EMT

That is a TRAM 1481 VHF / UHF inexpensive little base antenna. List price is $76 but I gave $39 on an e-Bay listing with free shipping.

TRAM 1481 Amateur Dual Band Base Antenna (1481) from Solid Signal

WORD TO THE WISE: Use a good quality LMR-400 type cable! Putting up a high gain antenna is useless if you loose all of your signal before it ever reaches the feedpoint. But you can put up a cheap antenna with excellent coax and sound like a million bucks for just a little bit of change.

Again, I got my antenna AND LMR-400 coaxial cable on e-Bay for a LOT less than retail. Do good searches, read EVERYTHING TWICE and you can get some great deals or you can get ripped off!

Case in point: I saw a listing for an LMR400 1000 foot reel. BUY IT NOW $100 free shipping. I thought a THOUSAND foot of 400 free shipping HELL YES!!!! I got to reading it and it was JUST THE SPOOL, NO CABLE..... just the spool. $100 for an empty piece of wood..... BE CAREFUL...

Last edited:

WX4EMT

Well this just changed a LOT of plans for the console, Motorola Command STAR, brand new still has the protective film over the displays.... Tone remotes available abundantly for about 50 bucks each so one mic = multiple radios.... cost me $11.50 plus shipping, I LOVE e-Bay!

IMG_20160324_103709454.jpg

IMG_20160324_103558934.jpg

WX4EMT

It's kind of comical that Solid Signal lumps all antennas into the "CB" category...

You want a good chuckle do an e-Bay search for "Motorola CB" it's also a GREAT way to get a great deal on some radios but you'll meed your Mother BATWING decoder ring to figure out what is listed.

wallpaper_20100811103850_5232227912.jpg

N5TWB

You want a good chuckle do an e-Bay search for "Motorola CB" it's also a GREAT way to get a great deal on some radios but you'll meed your Mother BATWING decoder ring to figure out what is listed.

I wish I had bought a true Motorola CB back in the 70s w/SSB when they were first available.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Ahh, the Mocat!

A group of friends from the 80's were total Moto-heads. They would only use Motorola radios, even as receive only. We were into GMRS at the time and they would have Micors all tricked out, as well as MT500's.

A couple of the guys were still into CB and just about messed their drawers when Mother M came out with the Mocat!

WX4EMT

By the way, while I'm thinking about it... I came across a neat little tool to help in RACK building projects. As you know an EIA standard RACK unit is 1.75" x 19" (don't know if there is a standard depth though). As I make panels from scratch and add commercially produced stuff sometimes it gets jumbled as to what will fit where and how many UNITS "U" or 'spaces' I'll need for a certain project. Luckily the math isn't too difficult to figure in my head but there were times I had to reach for a calculator...

Then I found this:

IMG_20160324_125131773.jpg

A simple tape measure your squawk....

HA, I say! A useful tool for anyone that does RACK work be it communications, entertainment or sound.... This tape is calibrated in 1/32" - inch - foot AND 1.75" RACK space units or "U"s. It also has ohms law, various wiring diagrams and a whole bunch of useful info on the back including that damn CAT-6 pattern that drives me nutz!

Middle Atlantic Products Rack Ruler | Sweetwater.com

NO I am not compensated in any fashion I am just passing on information about something that works well for me....

13CA350

I'm curious, how do you have the coax run to the antenna(s)? I'm guessing you have it run into the attic and out the roof?

WX4EMT

I'm curious, how do you have the coax run to the antenna(s)? I'm guessing you have it run into the attic and out the roof?

The coax is routed through a repurposed hole in the wall graciously drilled by a huge over priced cable television company. then up the side of the house and along the gutter.

WX4EMT

The weather is beautiful so let's get back to this little radio project.

Drilling some holes in the cage for RF deck mounting bracket and a large hole with screw slots for the cooling fan.

Panel.jpg

Once the holes are cut it's time to paint:

Paint.jpg

I may have this all bolted together tonight depending on how well the paint dries, if not it will DEFINITELY be completed and on the air tomorrow.

Last edited:

WX4EMT

Not tonight.... everything is painted but some parts still feel a little tacky so I'll let it dry overnight. Tomorrow, I'll bolt the cooling fan into the cage and mount the RF deck. Part of this project was to place a mic jack on the front of the panel but since this radio will be tied to the Command Star console I'll fashion a temporary microphone extension from some 6 conductor cable I have and route it to a temp mic position.

This portion is almost done:

Painted.jpg

WX4EMT

Getting close to fruition:

IMG_20160329_212647839.jpg

Things didn't line up perfectly but once it's in the RACK it will be hard to tell.

IMG_20160329_205433213.jpg

I'll put the top on the RF cage and the fan will force air around and out the back of the radio, keeping it cool for those days when I'm busy with weather or just ratchet jawing with my buds.

IMG_20160329_205449562.jpg

markspoo

Premium Subscriber
FT400 GPS

Keith
How are you receiving GPS signal on ft400 when it is in the rack?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.