• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

X1p or xpr7550e ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2NEC

Between the 982 and 7550, I would go with the 7550. I don't own a 7550 but I may own some in the future because I'm done with Hytera.
Do any of the Hytera models have RX audio leveling?
I prefer a continuous channel knob on handhelds and mobiles. The X1p and PD782 has 16 position channel knobs. A continuous channel knob allows a zone to be any size you want and not limited to a maximum of 16 channels.
Agreed. Limiting yourself to 16 channels per zone is rather annoying especially from a HAM perspective. In other radios I'd need to have "Analog repeaters" and "Analog repeaters2" as zones because I couldn't all my channels in 1 zone.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Sorry but you did miss the point. We're taking about a channel in an emergency situation like a pursuit or a mayday. With a hard stop, they can easily find a channel positioned near the beginning or the end of the rotation without looking at the display. A firefighter in a mayday situation might not be able to see the display. Rotate the knob clockwise until it stops and he's on the correct channel.

Agree with Mike for firefighter radios. Fireground on both channels 1 and 16. If you accidentally bump the knob you can go either way with a gloved hand until it stops and be on the fireground. Pursuits...thats what console patches are for.

n1das

I owned a few Kenwood NX-300 UHF NEXEDGE portables back when they first came out in 2009. They were great radios and also specifically had Part 95 in addition to Part 90 so they were excellent for use on GMRS in analog mode. They also had full RF performance in the 440 band so they were excellent for ham use.

One simple and very nice feature the NX-300 had was that you can configure the channel knob to turn continuously or stop at 16 channels. The channel knob had a bump stop in the knob's plastic and the radio had a corresponding bump stop. To convert from a hard stop at 16 channels to continuous channels, you pull the knob off and cut the stop off the knob. In the CPS, the channel knob setting defaults to 16 channels and you change it to continuous. Changing back from continuous channels to a hard stop at 16 channels requires replacing the channel knob with a new knob and changing the settings in the CPS back to 16 channels.

K2NEC

I owned a few Kenwood NX-300 UHF NEXEDGE portables back when they first came out in 2009. They were great radios and also specifically had Part 95 in addition to Part 90 so they were excellent for use on GMRS in analog mode.

One simple and very nice feature the NX-300 had was that you can configure the channel knob to turn continuously or stop at 16 channels. The channel knob had a bump stop in the knob's plastic and the radio had a corresponding bump stop. To convert from a hard stop at 16 channels to continuous channels, you pull the knob off and cut the stop off the knob. In the CPS, the channel knob setting defaults to 16 channels and you change it to continuous. Changing back from continuous channels to a hard stop at 16 channels requires replacing the channel knob with a new knob and changing the settings in the CPS back to 16 channels.
That's pretty cool!

n1das

That's pretty cool!

Yes, and it was so simple to implement in the hardware and support the option in the CPS. I wish more radios had this option so you can configure it to your liking. Often times the best indication of a clever idea is its obviousness after the fact.

I have a VHF X1p and a UHF Hytera X1p and a few UHF PD982s. I like all of them but if I had to pick one over the others, my pick is the 982. With the long term future of Hytera in doubt given the Motorola v. Hytera lawsuit situation, I would lean toward the 7550 from Motorola because I'm done with Hytera. I'll keep what Hyteras I have unless I decide to sell them but no more new Hyteras for me. Only Moto radios for me going forward.

k4do

Having a issue deciding which radio to get. I don't own a Motorola dmr radio but I have heard great things and bad things about the xpr7550. I haven't seen any bad things about the hytera x1p.

Comments, suggestions welcome
Why would I want an SL7550 when I can have an x1p? similar sizes. Ha xp7550e great radio but MOT! Prefer PD982 to MOT. More functions. i prefer X1P to XP7550.

k4do

Yes, and it was so simple to implement in the hardware and support the option in the CPS. I wish more radios had this option so you can configure it to your liking. Often times the best indication of a clever idea is its obviousness after the fact.

I have a VHF X1p and a UHF Hytera X1p and a few UHF PD982s. I like all of them but if I had to pick one over the others, my pick is the 982. With the long term future of Hytera in doubt given the Motorola v. Hytera lawsuit situation, I would lean toward the 7550 from Motorola because I'm done with Hytera. I'll keep what Hyteras I have unless I decide to sell them but no more new Hyteras for me. Only Moto radios for me going forward.
I don’t think that Hytera cares about amateur radio. I’m not so sure where they are when it comes to customer service either. With all that said all my neat Motorola stuff is gone. I have the PD 982, the actual NP and the PDC 760. Satisfied. However if you want Hytera stuff then there’s a vendor and West Palm that will bend over backwards to help you.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The channel knob had a bump stop in the knob's plastic and the radio had a corresponding bump stop. To convert from a hard stop at 16 channels to continuous channels, you pull the knob off and cut the stop off the knob. In the CPS, the channel knob setting defaults to 16 channels and you change it to continuous. Changing back from continuous channels to a hard stop at 16 channels requires replacing the channel knob with a new knob and changing the settings in the CPS back to 16 channels.

Why cut it, the plastic insert can be removed with needle nose pliers, and be saved. If you need to sell the radio, you simply re-insert the plastic channel stop.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Uhhhhhhh.....no, I didn't miss the point at all, I promise. I understand exactly what you're talking about. I just think it's silly.

Ran it by a couple of my LA Co. SD friends this morning, and they agree. They said the absolute dumbest thing you can ever do in a mayday situation is change channels, when you are on a channel where you know people are hearing you. It's the reason their pursuits are covered on whatever channel you happen to be on, including the main dispatch channel, and other resources are patched in if necessary. Because it's stupid to change channels in a situation like that.

They agree that it's useful for finding the dispatch channel (i.e. Channel 1), for example, but if they are in a situation where they are going to be switching channels, they can simply look at their radio.

Where this becomes valuable is when you DON'T know if people are hearing you. Did crap go sideways and your radio may have been bumped/changed channels? Lots of times I've been in structure fires where I can't see my hand pressed against my SCBA and I can't hear the voice annoucement on the radio to tell me if I'm on the right channel. But cranking to a hard stop let's me know that I'm on a channel where a dispatcher is. For your argument though, it would be a programming thing. You wouldn't be expected to find a channel where you have to hit a hard stop then click back 8 times.

For newer radios without hard stops, Moto just introduced a virtual hard stop on the APX line... go past channel XX and the radio will emit a loud solid tone.

n1das

Why cut it, the plastic insert can be removed with needle nose pliers, and be saved. If you need to sell the radio, you simply re-insert the plastic channel stop.

I've been a way from this thread for a while.....

Regarding the Kenwood NX-300 channel knob, you don't remove the plastic stop on the radio under the knob. You have to shave or cut the plastic stop off the bottom side of the channel knob to allow it to turn continuously. The bump stop on the bottom of the channel knob is part of the knob's plastic and you can't pull it out. Changing back to a hard stop at 16 channels requires replacing the channel knob with a new knob. Not a big deal really. The CPS has a setting for the channel knob to have 16 channels or continuous channels. This is so simple to implement that I wish other manufacturers did this so it can be configured the way users prefer. Very often the best indication of a clever idea is its obviousness, AFTER the fact.

Last edited:

n1das

I now have a brand new UHF XPR7550e to play with. The nearest Hytera competitor to the XPR7550e is the PD982, not the X1p. I do like the small size of the X1p though. The X1p has the speaker on the back side of the radio but it also has a speaker grille to help fire the audio straight upwards. Firing the speaker audio straight up is good for when the radio is in your shirt or front coat pocket.

I like my Hytera X1p radios but if I had to pick a single Hytera model to go with, it is the PD982. Between the PD982 and the XPR7550e, I now prefer the XPR7550e as part of my slowly moving away from Hytera and moving to Motorola. I'm going full Moto going forward. I plan to gradually replace my Hyteras with Motorolas over time. I'm done with Hytera as mentioned above.

Last edited:

n1das

The X1p is a good "stealth" radio compared to the PD982 and XPR7550e. The X1p is marketed as a Digital Covert Radio as Hytera calls it.

Status
Not open for further replies.